Low carb bars & chinese food!!!

Hi im a mom of 2 & work full time. I've been doing low carb for a few months & have lost 27lbs. I dont have any complaints other than I miss being able to grab a granola bar & go! Looking for recipes for low carb bars bc I haven't been able to find any in stores. Keeping my carbs between 20-30g. Also any suggestions for ordering or cooking Chinese food? I miss that for sure!! Thanks

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Instead of granola which can be loaded with sugar, make your own baggies of:
    trail mix, almond 100 calorie packs (16 or so almonds), mozzarella cheese sticks, etc.
    I tend to like protein bars from walmart called Pure Protein.
    Chinese stir fry made at home, that way you know that no sugar was added.
    * I'm high carb, so not sure if protein bars are low carb. I eat lots of beans, lentils, barley, etc.
  • brittanymora88
    brittanymora88 Posts: 7 Member
    High carb just wondering what for
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Chinese food is usually loaded with sugar. I was at an ASDA store and saw the guy who owns the local Chinese takeaway with two shopping trolleys loaded with bags of sugar!
    Have a look on ruled.me for some decent recipes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Quest makes some low carb bars.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm a high carb as well, but last year I had Quest bars (chocolate chip cookie dough) and the carb content was more than three fourths fiber, so for people who go by net carbs it might be a good low carb option.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm lchf. When I want the flavor complexity of a granola-ish bar I make my own. Measure my desired amount of mixed nuts (I've used almonds, walnuts, and pecans), put in a pile or flat on a tinfoil lined pan, sprinkle with Himalayan pink salt, mix into the pile a chipped up square or 10grams of dark chocolate and bake in the toaster oven. If I want sweet sometimes I will drizzle a tiny bit of real honey over the top.

I usually eat these warm and gooey, but I bet you could put them in the freezer to harden.

Chinese food - not so sure about low carb. If I'm having Chinese food, it usually means all plans go out the window for me.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2016
    Chinese food is no good.

Oh Yeah! Birthday Cake Bar...

Trust me... You will die at how good it is...

The other options are good for making your own version if you have the time...
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    wur97wamxmse.png
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Plain steamed protein and veggies - they give you the sauce on the side. For takeout at home I just make a quick peanut sauce to go on it, but in a restaurant I'll go with some soy sauce/tamari and hot sauce.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    High carb just wondering what for

Because all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.. high carb, low carb, whatever other diet fad doesn't matter. You can even eat the granola bars you like if you burn more calories than you consume.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Chinese food is no good.

on what planet?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2016
    I had Chinese food yesterday. I got it with no rice (hate fried rice anyway and didn't really want white rice) and subbed more steamed broccoli instead. They never question asking for veg instead of rice at any Chinese restaurant (fast food or sit down) I've ever been to. I can't remember ever being charged more either. I don't pay attention to carbs so no idea how many broccoli even has but I know the calories are lower than rice ;).

I ate the veggies first and couldn't even eat half my main dish because broccoli filled me up. I got general tso chicken but you could pick something lower carb.

I always thought quest bars had net low carbs and they are everywhere now - even see them in gas stations.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    OP, I suggest you check out the mail low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Also, check out the launch pad / sticky note area at the top of this group...there is a lot of great info there including tons of links to LCHF recipe website many of which include some asian-style dishes.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Lots of Chinese/Asian dishes are low carb...here are some I cook:

sgvvj63yrn3a.jpeg
    amkuv32mhdgn.jpeg
    700ftlauspz1.jpeg
    jmveyprweq1i.jpeg
    79wg7flfyyjn.jpeg
    cxacv9vndddx.jpeg
    1vo1zkjirqg8.jpeg
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Guess what I'm doing on Saturday? Chinese Buffet, ugh...
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Lots of Chinese/Asian dishes are low carb...here are some I cook:

jmveyprweq1i.jpeg

what is this?

recipe plz?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    As others have said, the problems with Chinese food from a low carb perspective can be the sugar, and the rice that comes with it. If you go to a chain like Panda Express, you can probably get the nutritional info on their foods - but good luck getting it from a mom & pop local Chinese restaurant. Best bet is buying a couple of Chinese cookbooks and making your own. The Quest bars have a lot of carbs as is the case with most nutrition bars I've seen, including Julian Bakery Paleo Bars made with beef. If you're doing low carb and sodium isn't an issue, jerky might be a better snack choice.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    The Quest bars have a lot of carbs as is the case with most nutrition bars I've seen, including Julian Bakery Paleo Bars made with beef. If you're doing low carb and sodium isn't an issue, jerky might be a better snack choice.

Screen-shot-2013-05-31-at-3.28.11-PM.png