Replies

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    How are you doing so far tonight?
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I hope you are doing OK tonight! I have had similar fears lately for myself and my partner and not sure what I will do about it. Would love to be your friend and offer support! :)
  • yellownickel
    yellownickel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh, and 1 more thing: withdrawal from alcohol is a very serious health risk. Not trying to instill any fear, but there are people who have died from detoxing on their own without medical supervision, so please be careful ;)

I appreciate your kind words. I'm prepared for any withdrawal symptoms. Thank you!
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this:-) Its very hard to quit drinking when you've been a functioning alcoholic for so long. You will have your ups and downs. I hope your husband supports you through this life change. I, too, was an alcoholic. It runs in my family. Friend me if you want support. I'm with you 110% !! Good luck!!!!
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My dad died as a result of his alcoholism. I was 5. I am now 45 and my 17 year old son is a recovering addict. Please please get help so that you can stay sober. It may be harder than you think but YOU CAN DO IT. I am not wording it right--you should be so proud to admit you need to make this change and then go for it, I just hope you know you deserve the help--it's out there--go get it--take it if you need it. There is no shame in needing help--it's a tough journey but you can do it. Prayers coming your way. Stay sober for yourself first, but your family will benefit too. One of my best friends has 11 months sober. You can do this.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Seeking professional help is wise. Eventually it will take your health.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you best wishes. I used to drink alot, we used to go away for weekends with another couple and had to look at the photos to see where we had been, as we were all so drunk. I stopped for years then started to have a few but have stopped again now as i dont like the taste any more xx good luck
  • jayele72
    jayele72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As others have said. AA is a wonderful fellowship. You have taken the first step. I like many am cross addicted and those addictions have changed the trajectory of my life. I'm now a single father but I'm a better more present father. My sobriety has brought me clarity and I applaud you.

We are here to serve so FR me if you'd like if not, I truly wish you peace on your journey.

Love
  • rempejeff
    rempejeff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Keep it up
  • JimTreloGreek989
    JimTreloGreek989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Want worked for me. Don't drink, live a spiritual life, live a healthy life, make meetings, creat new habits and stay away from active drinkers or friends that still drink specially away from liquor store and bars. Then step into action for each category. I do meetings and out into action the program and suggested work. Get up in mornings and pray for help and leave my will on the side witch is not that good specially when I pick up a beer and obey higher power will. Joined church. Read spiritual books and books of self improvement. Take long walks. Take my son to the park. Have more family time and momements. Make a new menu of healthy food. Salads, fruit, protein shakes , meat but beef, a lot of water and more. Nothing is impossible in this life. We accomplish what we want and desire. Not just with ideas but putting them into action. Change is hard....specially when we have a familiar routine life We don't want to change. But with little new habits and creating a new life style...baby steps....little by little we will change and like our new improved self.!!! Hope I helped and good luck on your new journey. And don't forget...while drinking NOTHING HAPPEN TO ME YET....I Still had my job...yet. I still didn't have a blackout yet.....and on and on those years or there waiting to pop out.
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You've made the hardest step. Well done to you. I used to drink a lot until I started having blackouts. Now I rarely have a drink & don't really enjoy it. My father in law was an alcoholic until his heart attack & he stopped for good then. He even beat cancer afterwards. Nobody should judge someone for something, in my eyes it's an illness. It's very brave of you to speak up & embrace change, I wish you the best
  • perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Women for Sobriety? It is an online community for women (men are welcome too) and has a completely different approach than AA. It can support AA, so you can do both. But it is a really great supportive community filled with wonderful women. Check out their website and log on to the message boards. Life changing.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step and admitting you have a problem. I hope you were able to stick with your plan last night and that you're feeling okay today. Addiction is a powerful foe. It's going to be a fight but we're all here for you to offer any support that we can.
  • Sami_lucky13
    Sami_lucky13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best Wishes Hun! The desision to make a change is difficult in itself. Go get it girl!
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best!
  • mallygirl420
    mallygirl420 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Been there! Sent you a message. I lost more than 40 lbs cutting out drinking and smoking. I'' now addicted to the happiness and energy my healthy life brings me. I'm proud of you from your post - I know that's weird coming from a stranger. But internalizing and seeking help for yourself, that's the biggest/hardest step you can take.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is great. But, I suggest you get professional help as well. You are fooling yourself if you think no one knows how much you drink.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Two days in... How you doing, girl? :)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I hope you're doing well. My husband has been sober for 2 years now. He went to an AA meeting nearly every day for the first year & still goes to several a week. I would say to focus more on sobriety than losing weight right now.