I'm an alcoholic, and starting tomorrow I'm not letting myself drink

Options
yellownickel
yellownickel Posts: 21 Member
edited June 2016 in Motivation and Support
Doesn't get much more honest than that, huh?

I've been a 'functioning' alcoholic for about 9 years now. I call myself functioning because I've never missed or been late to a single day of work, I don't drink until I black out, I don't drink all day long, I'm not in debt because of how much I drink, and most of my friends and family don't have a clue. But I can't go a single day without a drinking. I've tried multiple times and have been unsuccessful.
I know that most of my weight can be attributed to alcohol. I am constantly active. I eat healthy. But I'm still overweight. I drink between 6-12 beers every day that are incredibly high in sugar, sodium and calories. So it's time to accept the fact that I won't lose the weight if I don't change my habits.

I'm looking for help because this is all new territory for me. If you can offer non-judgemental help, send me a request.

Replies

• carefreekitties
    carefreekitties Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It sounds like you've got a good plan going. You saw something that you wanted to change and you are taking a huge step. You've got this!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you!!!!

You can do it, kick it girl Life is to valuable to waste it!
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hello and thank goodness for you. I would love to connect with you but I have a kitty passing in my arms at the moment and it's hard to type one handed. I have never been an alcoholic but my children's father passed from the disease so I have lots of experience from the other side. If you would like and need someone to talk too, please message me and i'll get to it as soon as I can. Good luck, you can do it. :)
  • BlendaBrenda
    BlendaBrenda Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Make sure to be safe, and watch out for DTs! You can do this!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting your journey! You got this! :)
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I hope the best for you. I am in the throws of watching a friend go from a "you" to nonfunctional version of what you describe. The calories also got this person. Which makes it additionally hard (feeling fat helps no one!).

I don't have much advice, learning about this stuff now. But from what I can tell, getting to the root of "why" you started or continue to consume the beers is key. Surfacing it like you are, is also key. Connecting with folks who have been there before and don't drink now is also key.

congrats on your new journey!
  • yellownickel
    yellownickel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @OlyCapitalChick, I'm sorry about your friend. I understand and see how hard it can be to go from where I am to where it sounds like your friends is. I hope they can save themselves before it gets to be too late. Truly.

Thank you.
  • joserw15
    joserw15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would say switch to hard liquor and ice. Whiskey on the rocks or whatever. ETHANOL does not get stored as far. Beer has carbs which is calories. I'm sure you know that. I'm not the right guy for advice. Best of luck though and add me if you'd like :smile:
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I've been in a similar way for a while. Glad to hear I'm not alone
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just don't give up. Best of luck to you.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You can do it, yellownickle. You made the first, most difficult, step.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @nutmegoreo. I met with my doc on Friday, so I know what to expect for the most part.

I appreciate your concen :)

I'm so glad for that. All the best to you. I wish you well.