Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people overeat and/or become obese? Is it harder than average for some to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    and I have to ask if you gain on 2k a day are you totally sedentary? exceptionally short (under 5ft tall) and a very tiny woman?

and I have to ask if you use a food scale and are you sure you only eat 1200 and gain on 2k...

I mean, I'm 5'4 / 162lb and my lightly active maintenance cals (BMR*1.3) are 1830ish so... I'd gain on 2k if I ate that and didn't do additional exercise. Lower maintenance cals really aren't all that uncommon. You don't have to be under 5ft and tiny to have maintenance cals that low.

If I wanted to lose 1lb/week without additional working out I'd have to drop to like 1,300.

Even if I weren't menopausal with my hormones all outta whack my maintenance would still only be right around 2k and I'm overweight as it is. That's only gonna get lower. Were I a perfectly mid-range healthy non-menopausal 120lb 26 year old, my lightly active maintenance would be right around 1,700. So I'd still gain on 2k.

It's really not that unbelievable.

ETA: I burn 800-1000 a day in exercise so I COULD maintain on 2.5k (but I'm trying to lose, so no, and my ultimate maintenance won't be that high probably). Most people probably don't work out that much though, let's be real here.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    andycool22 wrote: »
    because food is delicious

Apparently you've never had my Mother In Laws Cooking ...

So true for my MIL also. Lol.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lexbubbles wrote: »
    and I have to ask if you gain on 2k a day are you totally sedentary? exceptionally short (under 5ft tall) and a very tiny woman?

and I have to ask if you use a food scale and are you sure you only eat 1200 and gain on 2k...

I mean, I'm 5'4 / 162lb and my lightly active maintenance cals (BMR*1.3) are 1830ish so... I'd gain on 2k if I ate that and didn't do additional exercise. Lower maintenance cals really aren't all that uncommon. You don't have to be under 5ft and tiny to have maintenance cals that low.

If I wanted to lose 1lb/week without additional working out I'd have to drop to like 1,300.

Even if I weren't menopausal with my hormones all outta whack my maintenance would still only be right around 2k and I'm overweight as it is. That's only gonna get lower. Were I a perfectly mid-range healthy non-menopausal 120lb 26 year old, my lightly active maintenance would be right around 1,700. So I'd still gain on 2k.

It's really not that unbelievable.

ETA: I burn 800-1000 a day in exercise so I COULD maintain on 2.5k (but I'm trying to lose, so no, and my ultimate maintenance won't be that high probably). Most people probably don't work out that much though, let's be real here.

for me it is as I have seen a lot of women here who are on the short side maintain on 2k and higher...

my sister ...120lbs 5 ft 3 and 45 maintains on 2400 (yes she exercises about 45mins a day)

but that seems more reasonable to me...based on what I have seen here on MFP.

I don't exercise a tonne...a 3 mile walk M thru Th...5 miles on the weekends, some weigh lifting (15mins) and I will maintain that (will be getting a treadmill for winter) for probably the next decade or more...it's not that much exercise..less than an hour a day all totalled up.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

for me it is as I have seen a lot of women here who are on the short side maintain on 2k and higher...

my sister ...120lbs 5 ft 3 and 45 maintains on 2400 (yes she exercises about 45mins a day)

I don't exercise a tonne...a 3 mile walk M thru Th...5 miles on the weekends, some weigh lifting (15mins) and I will maintain that (will be getting a treadmill for winter) for probably the next decade or more...it's not that much exercise..less than an hour a day all totalled up.

fqf88l3aiu8w.png

x 1.3 (lightly active) = 1762

Note I said "before additional exercise". Although that's still 700 cals short which is mighty impressive for 45 mins.

Your sister works out. That's great. Your sister isn't everyone and doesn't negate the experiences of other people. Some people have low maintenance calories. But you know *one* short person with a high maintenance so everyone must be high maintenance.
  • SezxyStef
    edited June 2016
    Options

fqf88l3aiu8w.png

x 1.3 (lightly active) = 1762

Note I said "before additional exercise". Although that's still 700 cals short which is mighty impressive for 45 mins.

Your sister works out. That's great. Your sister isn't everyone and doesn't negate the experiences of other people. Some people have low maintenance calories. But you know *one* short person with a high maintenance so everyone must be high maintenance.

so I guess my question is what does this have to do with the actual thread?

and why jump in at this point with a post that has nothing to do with it? I asked a question of another poster not you and no where did I say I didn't believe her...I asked for clarification as such low maintenance for a semi active person is not the norm esp on MFP.

• DebSozo
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I think we've lost sight of the original topic of discussion. It was not about the population in general, but about those individuals who say they have a harder time than most to lose weight and what drives them to eat even knowing the harm it's doing to them.

Just as a reminder, this was what sparked the conversation:
    Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

I think people have pointed out some good reasons why this might happen to some people and not to others and I know that I personally have learned some things.

But I'm going to respectfully request that we refrain from debating food addiction here. There's another thread dedicated to that, and another can be started if anyone wishes. I don't think it's contributing to this conversation at this point.

True. We have taken that subject as far as it can go without continuing in a circle, anyhow.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I think we've lost sight of the original topic of discussion. It was not about the population in general, but about those individuals who say they have a harder time than most to lose weight and what drives them to eat even knowing the harm it's doing to them.

Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

I think people have pointed out some good reasons why this might happen to some people and not to others and I know that I personally have learned some things.

But I'm going to respectfully request that we refrain from debating food addiction here. There's another thread dedicated to that, and another can be started if anyone wishes. I don't think it's contributing to this conversation at this point.

I agree and will refrain from it any further...I should have stuck to my guns the first time...
  • DebSozo
    Options

I agree and will refrain from it any further...I should have stuck to my guns the first time...

I am new to MFP and have not seen the previous thread, so I have learned some new things and found the debate to be enlightening while it lasted.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Jane, will you link the other thread on here? I would love to read it. :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

and why jump in at this point with a post that has nothing to do with it? I asked a question of another poster not you and no where did I say I didn't believe her...I asked for clarification as such low maintenance for a semi active person is not the norm esp on MFP.

As far as individuals go... getting caught up with "eating as much as everyone else" or whatever, if you happen to be lower maintenance... eh I could see how that can evolve into a problem if you're the sort of person who does that. "My friends/family are having a chocolate bar, so I should have one too" and nah, some of us have less calories to play with for that sort of thing.

edited for spelling

Yup. I maintain on 1800 (5'5", 125 lbs, determined through years of calorie counting and data collecting), and it really sucks when the people around me can eat more and not gain - because they're tall guys, because they're more active, because their BMR is a tad higher - but I have to pass on the cheesecake. I used to not pass on the cheesecake, and that's part of how I gained 25 lbs in 2 years in college. My boyfriend would eat all day and stay skinny; I would eat the same things and gain. Different calorie needs.
  • DebSozo
    Options

-The discussion went in the direction of how changes in snacking behaviour might cause weight gain (a valid point, which is in fact relevant to the thread) to which your response was that it isn't a valid point because high maintenance cals and that you "don't think quantity is an issue".

-I've been in this thread the whole time, didn't just suddenly jump in on page 16 or wherever we are, but I also have low maintenance (a thing you were discussing! For several posts now!) so provided evidence since you think it's so weird that that's a thing that happens to people and just can't comprehend it.

-Now that I've provided actual evidence (rather than just "I know a guy" anecdotes) that you don't even have to be short and tiny and sedentary and that you can, in fact, be a reasonable height and slightly overweight and lightly active and STILL have lower maintain cals, you've gone "well this is irrelevant to the thread anyway". But it's not irrelevant...

Changes in "snacking culture", or whatever you wish to call it, probably have had an effect. People snack more, on more calorie dense foods. There's no way that doesn't have an impact. But also, since we're here, the "2,000 calories a day" recommendation is... shall we say not good?

* If someone with maintenance cals under that (a lot of people!) just takes that at face value without looking into it and whether that fits their needs personally they could easily gain weight on it.

*I think that this is a great point. If people don't know their TDEE baseline it only takes a couple hundred extra "snack" calories to rack up the pounds over time. People tend to underestimate the daily calories that they eat on average of 170 anyhow. So if one doesn't have a big deficit to begin with one could start gaining without realizing "why".

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Jane, will you link the other thread on here? I would love to read it. :)
    I linked the addiction vs dependence thread in a few posts before. Here it is to save you the trouble: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10388272/addiction-versus-dependence

Word.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Thanks Moe
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I gained a bunch of weight after something traumatic happened to me when I was 16. It was like a defense mechanism for me, I believe. When I decided I wasn't going to be a victim anymore, I started losing weight. I'm still an emotional binge eater so I'm working on that. MFP helps me take accountability. If I don't want to have to put it in my food diary then I probably shouldn't be eating it :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    In general I think people think they burn much more than in reality. My mind still boggles at how little I burn. Finding out how little I burn just by being alive has been key for me. Without knowing, I would have never lost weight.

This was somewhat true for me. I started regaining when I went from active to sedentary (various life issues). Once I gained weight I felt like I was already out of shape so it didn't matter (dumb, yes, but there was more to it also), and ate more and continued to gain. Once I decided to lose the weight I ran the numbers a bunch of different places (I'd lost weight years before to 120 without counting calories but eating what I thought was around 1800 -- I was active and younger, so possible). I was shocked and upset that my maintenance when sedentary was predicted to be as low as it was.

I did find out I lost faster than anticipated (I think I wasn't as sedentary as I assumed, even when at my fattest, since I live in a city and walk a lot in daily life). Knowing that my sedentary maintenance now would be around 1550 (5'3, 125, 46) keeps me committed to being as active as possible (I haven't been logging for a while, but estimate that I maintain on around 2100-2200).

Not realizing how little I could eat when not being active was definitely part of my weight gain, although there was a lot more to it.
  • SezxyStef
    edited June 2016
    Options

-The discussion went in the direction of how changes in snacking behaviour might cause weight gain (a valid point, which is in fact relevant to the thread) to which your response was that it isn't a valid point because high maintenance cals and that you "don't think quantity is an issue".

-You didn't "ask for clarification you" immediately went the route of incorrect logging, sedentary, and tiny, because no regular person could possibly maintain that low.

-I've been in this thread the whole time, didn't just suddenly jump in on page 16 or wherever we are, but I also have low maintenance (a thing you were discussing! For several posts now!) so provided evidence since you think it's so weird that that's a thing that happens to people and just can't comprehend it.

-Now that I've provided actual evidence (rather than just "I know a guy" anecdotes) that you don't even have to be short and tiny and sedentary and that you can, in fact, be a reasonable height and slightly overweight and lightly active and STILL have lower maintain cals, you've gone "well this is irrelevant to the thread anyway". But it's not irrelevant.

Back to the original point, though, since discussing individual reasons and obstacles in a thread about individual reasons and obstacles to weight is irrelevant

Changes in "snacking culture", or whatever you wish to call it, probably have had an effect. People snack more, on more calorie dense foods. There's no way that doesn't have an impact. But also, since we're here, the "2,000 calories a day" recommendation is... shall we say not good? If someone with maintenance cals under that (a lot of people!) just takes that at face value without looking into it and whether that fits their needs personally they could easily gain weight on it.

As far as individuals go... getting caught up with "eating as much as everyone else" or whatever, if you happen to be lower maintenance... eh I could see how that can evolve into a problem if you're the sort of person who does that. "My friends/family are having a chocolate bar, so I should have one too" and nah, some of us have less calories to play with for that sort of thing.

edited for spelling

Deb mentioned it I asked a few clarifying questions so what. You seem angry that I went that route but those are standard questions here when people eat so little because yes it is unusual to have low maintenance calories based on what I have seen on MFP and in real life...

And what evidence did you provide your bmr so...mine is 50 above that...proves nothing neither does an arbitrary calculation of 1.3 against it a study of 1 is not gospel.

And your post is irrelevant to the op and this isn't a discussion on individuals but those who overeat and those who say it's harder for them to lose that normal people.

And what I did say was that snacking didn't have as big of an impact as inferred otherwise it wouldn't be recommended during weight loss...guess you missed that part

ETA: on the arbitrary calculation the reason I dismiss that number is it puts my maintenance at 1840...which I know is not the case...with me being lightly active in the winter (no cardio done) I maintain on at least 2k...

As well you haven't responded once in the 16 pages...seems odd you jump in to post about something that is irrelevant to the OP...
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    100df wrote: »
    In general I think people think they burn much more than in reality. My mind still boggles at how little I burn. Finding out how little I burn just by being alive has been key for me. Without knowing, I would have never lost weight.

This was somewhat true for me. I started regaining when I went from active to sedentary (various life issues). Once I gained weight I felt like I was already out of shape so it didn't matter (dumb, yes, but there was more to it also), and ate more and continued to gain.

Yes! I have asked myself a million times why I do that. Very dumb!!

And what I did say was that snacking didn't have as big of an impact as inferred otherwise it wouldn't be recommended during weight loss...guess you missed that part

I brought up snacking because I believe people in general are snacking more than in past generations. There are more high calorie snacks available more often. There are more snacking opportunities. I believe this is one reason why some people have the desire to overeat.