Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people overeat and/or become obese? Is it harder than average for some to lose weight?

Options
JaneSnowe
JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
edited June 2016 in Debate Club
On different threads I've seen people saying that weight loss is more complex than CICO. I don't think they all mean that CICO doesn't work (though a few do); I suspect they're trying to say that, for them, either Calories In is harder to limit or that Calories Out is harder to achieve than for the average person.

On a recent thread this topic came to the forefront, but so as to not derail that thread --and also to give people with a different perspective on CICO than what is typical on MFP a chance to speak their minds-- I've decided to move the conversation here.

The post that sparked this thread is:
Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

The topics up for discussion are exactly what's in the title.

Here is a link that one person provided to explain why "put down the fork" is overly simplistic advice for some people. I thought it would make a good starting point.

https://medium.com/@dannylennon/why-do-we-overeat-homeostatic-vs-non-homeostatic-eating-1d2e8e33ddce#.63y2auqhy

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

I don't believe this for one second.

Lack of education.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

I don't believe this for one second.

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Are you saying I lack education or the people I am talking about lack education. What education is lacking?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

ETA: @JaneSnowe let me know if you don't want the thread to be another addiction debate and I'll delete my comment.

I think there are people out there who believe that this happens to them and feel that it's out of their control. I think it's valid to bring this up and I'd like to hear from anyone who feels this way. I'm curious what they think would help them if CICO seems out of their control.