Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people overeat and/or become obese? Is it harder than average for some to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It is no different on a physiological level
    Psychological is a different story entirety.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    On different threads I've seen people saying that weight loss is more complex than CICO. I don't think they all mean that CICO doesn't work (though a few do); I suspect they're trying to say that, for them, either Calories In is harder to limit or that Calories Out is harder to achieve than for the average person.

Addressing this in particular: there are two "CICO doesn't work for me" groups. One group treats "CICO" as a name for counting calories, and what they really mean is "I had to find another strategy because counting calories alone didn't work." Then there's the group that truly believes they're somehow defying thermodynamics.

For the first group, there's a lot of reasons. They didn't adjust their macros for satiety, so they were hungry all the time and ended up overeating. They're emotional eaters and kept blowing out their calorie goal because they didn't address the root of their issue. They have trigger foods but didn't alter their environment or diet to make avoiding triggers easier. They tried to eat too "clean" and ended up binging on foods they missed. They tried to cut too many calories and binged because they were so hungry.

For the second group, there's always one side of the equation that's not being tallied correctly. They swear they're only eating 1200 calories, but their estimation of CI is terrible. They overestimate their exercise burn or activity level. A medical condition is making TDEE much lower than a calculator spits out. They try a fad like South Beach, paleo, etc. without really understanding it's the calories, not the food type.

What both groups, and anyone who's tried to lose weight and failed, can have in common is the feeling that you're doing everything right, or trying so hard to do everything right, and it's just not working. Since it's not working, you must have a harder time than everyone else when it comes to losing weight. You're an outlier. There must be a reason you're staying fat. It's really, really difficult to put so much effort into something and fail, so people rationalize it to make themselves feel better. "Put down the fork" can seem insensitive or hollow - they tried putting down the fork and still didn't lose (because their strategy was wrong or knowledge was lacking).

This is an excellent post!
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is a right answer. One thing I've learned through my own struggle and research is that your body craves nutrients. When it feels as though it is lacking one, it demands more. When you have had what is required, you become full. That is why eating one chicken breast and steamed veggies will fill you up quicker and for a longer time period than indulging in an entire bag of chips. Doesn't mean it tastes better though, haha! CICO does work. It's scientifically proven and no one can argue that. I think that many people are totally unaware of how effective it is. And yes, you can eat "healthy foods" all you want. It is easy to even over-eat what's deemed as "healthy" as well. Those uneducated on CICO don't understand that. Or maybe they even don't WANT to understand.

see I beg to differ because I eat the healthier foods, I love veggies etc, WHAT I CRAVE is the complete opposite, i CRAVE the ice cream, the salty chips and other so called non-healthy food.

And to that, I would say your brain and tastebuds crave the ice cream, chips and non-healthy food. Your body wants what it needs. My brain, and ESPECIALLY my tastebuds, tells me I want to eat chocolate every day and luckily, due to CICO and leaving room in my calorie deficit, I can. But I also need to make sure I get other nutrients to keep my body functioning correctly.

The brain is a complex son of a *kitten* :P

Oh yes I "understand" that, but my *kitten* of a brain is just not on the same page!!! maybe the technical term is OBESE BRAIN????
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    7 flags on this page alone. Someone needs to reread the ToS.

wait for it I posted a couple more times...that number should go up.

Just in case anybody suspects it, it wasn't me.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

You are too kind!

My filter is working today.
  • MissusMoon
    Options

Indeed.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

Just in case anybody suspects it, it wasn't me.

Yay right! ;)
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Indeed.

WHy are people flagging?? What the *hairy kitten*????
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I must have to get new glasses, I only see one flag.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

I don't believe this for one second.

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Are you saying I lack education or the people I am talking about lack education. What education is lacking?

I think the majority of people who are overweight/obese lack education in anything food related.

I watched an episode of my 600lb life...the guy gained weight and the doctor was asking why? the patient said "I don't know I should be losing I switched out my white bread for whole wheat"....seriously.

And based on my own experience I knew about calories from being a teenager and having my mother diet all the time...but had no clue on how to lose weight and maintain...

I could lose like a demon...but gain it back.

diet books, diet websites, diet pills, diet programs aka WW etc...all teach people how to lose but not how to maintain...

and as adults if we weren't taught about nutrition and calories how do we teach our kids??????

It's actually pretty simple. Your pants get too tight, you are getting fatter. Oh, better back off on the eating and/or exercise more

the average person doesn't think like that and the new normal is fat...at least in north america.

The average person past the age of 7 or 8 knows that eating too much makes you fat. Now given 70% of the population is overweight/obese, they are choosing (ignoring those with medical conditions causing weight gain) not to give a *kitten* about that bit of knowledge.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

They were removed
  • MissusMoon
    edited June 2016
    Options

They were removed

Moving along....what were talking about again?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Are you saying I lack education or the people I am talking about lack education. What education is lacking?

I think the majority of people who are overweight/obese lack education in anything food related.

I watched an episode of my 600lb life...the guy gained weight and the doctor was asking why? the patient said "I don't know I should be losing I switched out my white bread for whole wheat"....seriously.

And based on my own experience I knew about calories from being a teenager and having my mother diet all the time...but had no clue on how to lose weight and maintain...

diet books, diet websites, diet pills, diet programs aka WW etc...all teach people how to lose but not how to maintain...

and as adults if we weren't taught about nutrition and calories how do we teach our kids??????

So, you're basically saying people with weight problems do not know lack education on how to maintain?

No what I am saying is most people have no idea how calories work.

I'm not sure I believe this is true of most. It doesn't seem to mesh with the number of posts asking "why can't I stop overeating" or "how do I stop binge eating" or "how do I break my addiction to sugar"

To me these sound more like issues with control of cravings than a lack of knowledge that too many calories are being consumed.

This is a very small sample tho...I do firmly believe based on my own life most don't understand calories.

If they did there wouldn't be statements of CICO doesn't work for everyone and there wouldn't be this large diet industry preying on people...

Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...

But I feel like this is going to get into "food addiction" area and I am not into that debate.

What does it truly mean if not; determining the calories of current intake and eating less than that; or determining caloric output and eating less than that?

to lose weight it truly means taking in less calories than you burn
    to maintain weight it truly means that you are eating the same as what you are burning.

If your current intake is making you gain 1lb a week...eating 50 calories less a day won't work...but you know that

Ok, I'm still trying to fully understand what you meant by "Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...". So for the sake of clarification, you are saying that they miscalculate their caloric needs or the number of calories they should cut from their diet? In other words, you are saying they know they need to eat fewer calories, but don't know how much fewer?

sort of...

People know that to lose weight they need to eat (for arguments sake) 1200 calories and that means to them 1lb a week. *I know this as a friend is on MFP and this is her life....

They log 1200 calories and really believe they ate 1200 calories.
    They exercise and log 500 calories for 45mins of treadmill walking at 3.5 mph because that's what the treadmill says.

In reality they are eating 1600 a day and burning maybe 300..(I am being generous)

They lose 1/2 a week or maybe none because they really ate 1800 for a few days.

They ask "why am I not losing weight"...

They really believe that they are eating 1200 calories and exercising that much and feel they are one of those "that can't lose weight" or "it's the kinds of calories" or "it's because I ate after 7pm" or "because I didn't drink my hot lemon water this morning to rev my metabolism"

No concept of what 1200 calories looks like or how hard it is to exercise off 500 calories walking...

See for me I can tell you what 30gram of marble cheddar looks like and that fact it has 120 calories...or how much 180 grams of mix frozen tropical fruit looks like...I got cha...150 grams of chicken I know but if I am not familiar with the food I would need my food scale to know the weight to get the calories...

Ok, but this is somewhat different than what the thread seemed to be about.
    ...I suspect they're trying to say that, for them, either Calories In is harder to limit or that Calories Out is harder to achieve than for the average person...
    ...Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed?...

If you have been able to build a skill set which allows you to be able to eyeball what 30g of marble cheddar looks like, what makes you think others who have struggled for years haven't been able to develop the same skills? Surely many of them have and still struggle nonetheless. What drives overeating in people who know better? I'm talking about people who:
    - know energy balance (CICO)
    - Know a pound of fat is about 3500 calories
    - know that exercise estimations are inaccurate
    - know that measuring by volume is not always precise
    - weigh everything that they eat
    - have sustainable food plans
    - know that forbidding foods could lead to greater temptation
    - know that attempting to moderate could lead to greater temptation
    - know that micro nutrients are important for body composition
    - know that protein intake is recommended at .8-1g per pound of lean body mass
    - know that certain food types are more satisfying for different people
    - know that certain diets work because they make it easier for some to manipulate energy balance
    - you get my point...

There are many who know all of this yet fail regardless. Why?

Nm
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

They were removed

Moving along....what were talking about again?

Oh well thank you so much !
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Lack of education.

That's fine.

So, you're basically saying people with weight problems do not know lack education on how to maintain?

No what I am saying is most people have no idea how calories work.

I'm not sure I believe this is true of most. It doesn't seem to mesh with the number of posts asking "why can't I stop overeating" or "how do I stop binge eating" or "how do I break my addiction to sugar"

To me these sound more like issues with control of cravings than a lack of knowledge that too many calories are being consumed.

This is a very small sample tho...I do firmly believe based on my own life most don't understand calories.

If they did there wouldn't be statements of CICO doesn't work for everyone and there wouldn't be this large diet industry preying on people...

Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...

But I feel like this is going to get into "food addiction" area and I am not into that debate.

What does it truly mean if not; determining the calories of current intake and eating less than that; or determining caloric output and eating less than that?

to lose weight it truly means taking in less calories than you burn
    to maintain weight it truly means that you are eating the same as what you are burning.

If your current intake is making you gain 1lb a week...eating 50 calories less a day won't work...but you know that

Ok, I'm still trying to fully understand what you meant by "Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...". So for the sake of clarification, you are saying that they miscalculate their caloric needs or the number of calories they should cut from their diet? In other words, you are saying they know they need to eat fewer calories, but don't know how much fewer?

sort of...

People know that to lose weight they need to eat (for arguments sake) 1200 calories and that means to them 1lb a week. *I know this as a friend is on MFP and this is her life....

They log 1200 calories and really believe they ate 1200 calories.
    They exercise and log 500 calories for 45mins of treadmill walking at 3.5 mph because that's what the treadmill says.

In reality they are eating 1600 a day and burning maybe 300..(I am being generous)

They lose 1/2 a week or maybe none because they really ate 1800 for a few days.

They ask "why am I not losing weight"...

They really believe that they are eating 1200 calories and exercising that much and feel they are one of those "that can't lose weight" or "it's the kinds of calories" or "it's because I ate after 7pm" or "because I didn't drink my hot lemon water this morning to rev my metabolism"

No concept of what 1200 calories looks like or how hard it is to exercise off 500 calories walking...

See for me I can tell you what 30gram of marble cheddar looks like and that fact it has 120 calories...or how much 180 grams of mix frozen tropical fruit looks like...I got cha...150 grams of chicken I know but if I am not familiar with the food I would need my food scale to know the weight to get the calories...

Ok, but this is somewhat different than what the thread seemed to be about.
    ...I suspect they're trying to say that, for them, either Calories In is harder to limit or that Calories Out is harder to achieve than for the average person...
    ...Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed?...

If you have been able to build a skill set which allows you to be able to eyeball what 30g of marble cheddar looks like, what makes you think others who have struggled for years haven't been able to develop the same skills? Surely many of them have and still struggle nonetheless. What drives overeating in people who know better? I'm talking about people who:
    - know energy balance (CICO)
    - Know a pound of fat is about 3500 calories
    - know that exercise estimations are inaccurate
    - know that measuring by volume is not always precise
    - weigh everything that they eat
    - have sustainable food plans
    - know that forbidding foods could lead to greater temptation
    - know that attempting to moderate could lead to greater temptation
    - know that micro nutrients are important for body composition
    - know that protein intake is recommended at .8-1g per pound of lean body mass
    - know that certain food types are more satisfying for different people
    - know that certain diets work because they make it easier for some to manipulate energy balance
    - you get my point...

There are many who know all of this yet fail regardless. Why?

This interests me too and I've seen some comments on other threads that tell me there are a few people here who might say that this describes them. I would love to hear from them.

A friend of mine has been obese probably her entire life. As far as I can tell, she seems to know all of the above yet still struggles with her weight. It's something that I can never ask her about because it's none of my business and I would never want to risk hurting her feelings, but I know she's not the only one in her shoes and I hope someone can shed some light on what it might be like for her.