Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people overeat and/or become obese? Is it harder than average for some to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of misinformation out there. One big piece of it is the oft repeated "2000 calories a day is a healthy diet". That isn't true for everyone. I gained steadily on an average of 2000 healthy calories a day. I do have PCOS, but even if I didn't, smaller women can have slower metabolisms and don't necessarily need that amount of food, especially as they age.
    There's a perception that everyone who becomes very overweight does so by eating fast food 2-3 times a day or otherwise eating junk, but simply by having second helpings or one snack too many over enough time, you can gain an enormous amount of weight in just a few years. Accordingly it was a real shock when I had to finally face how strictly I had to diet in order to lose. I'm still bitter about it, especially when people continue to believe I spent years pigging out constantly. But I have given up on trying to change anyone's mind. They can believe I'm a hog who stuffs my face all they want - I know it was never true.

I know what you mean about the 2000 calories. I always heard that and so thought it applied to me, too. What a disappointment to learn I need less than that!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

ETA: @JaneSnowe let me know if you don't want the thread to be another addiction debate and I'll delete my comment.

I think there are people out there who believe that this happens to them and feel that it's out of their control. I think it's valid to bring this up and I'd like to hear from anyone who feels this way. I'm curious what they think would help them if CICO seems out of their control.

I don't know if that is the right terminology (CICO being out of control). I think the way it was phrased in your OP is a little better.
    What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed?

That is what I was trying to address with my opinion.

Regarding what they think would help them, I think most find help though addressing underlying issues on the mental side of the problem. There are usually mental or emotional situations which drive people to those behaviors. They can recover from those issues using various types of treatments or methodologies such as Cognitive Behavior Therapy or other programs.
  • JaneSnowe
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

ETA: @JaneSnowe let me know if you don't want the thread to be another addiction debate and I'll delete my comment.

I think there are people out there who believe that this happens to them and feel that it's out of their control. I think it's valid to bring this up and I'd like to hear from anyone who feels this way. I'm curious what they think would help them if CICO seems out of their control.

I don't know if that is the right terminology (CICO being out of control). I think the way it was phrased in your OP is a little better.
    What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed?

That is what I was trying to address with my opinion.

Regarding what they think would help them, I think most find help though addressing underlying issues on the mental side of the problem. There are usually mental or emotional situations which drive people to those behaviors. They can recover from those issues using various types of treatments or methodologies such as Cognitive Behavior Therapy or other programs.

Good points.

Sometimes, when I see people here on MFP say that not everything is CICO (or whatever words they use when they think their systems are more complicated than what's normal) it makes me wonder what they want people to say to them and why they are on a calorie counting site to begin with. I'd really like to hear what they have to say.

There was someone the other day talking about "outliers" and I wish she'd said what help she thinks can be given to them if not CICO.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    Having done it myself, I understand why people overeat and become overweight. Pleasure. Food tastes good. Beer and wine makes me feel good. Sharing food and drink with friends is fun and relaxing.

I really don't understand becoming very overweight or obese. I don't know what makes some nip it in the bud before it gets really out of control while others take to a level that to me would seem to take the pleasure out of it.

I wonder about this too. I know it's a complex subject, not as simple as "food tastes good and releases dopamine".
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't know if there is a right answer. One thing I've learned through my own struggle and research is that your body craves nutrients. When it feels as though it is lacking one, it demands more. When you have had what is required, you become full. That is why eating one chicken breast and steamed veggies will fill you up quicker and for a longer time period than indulging in an entire bag of chips. Doesn't mean it tastes better though, haha! CICO does work. It's scientifically proven and no one can argue that. I think that many people are totally unaware of how effective it is. And yes, you can eat "healthy foods" all you want. It is easy to even over-eat what's deemed as "healthy" as well. Those uneducated on CICO don't understand that. Or maybe they even don't WANT to understand.

see I beg to differ because I eat the healthier foods, I love veggies etc, WHAT I CRAVE is the complete opposite, i CRAVE the ice cream, the salty chips and other so called non-healthy food.

And to that, I would say your brain and tastebuds crave the ice cream, chips and non-healthy food. Your body wants what it needs. My brain, and ESPECIALLY my tastebuds, tells me I want to eat chocolate every day and luckily, due to CICO and leaving room in my calorie deficit, I can. But I also need to make sure I get other nutrients to keep my body functioning correctly.

The brain is a complex son of a *kitten* :P
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't know if there is a right answer. One thing I've learned through my own struggle and research is that your body craves nutrients. When it feels as though it is lacking one, it demands more. When you have had what is required, you become full. That is why eating one chicken breast and steamed veggies will fill you up quicker and for a longer time period than indulging in an entire bag of chips.

Are there any studies that back this up? I've heard this several times, but never seen any references to back this line of thinking up.

I'd argue the that chicken breast and veggies are more filling because:
    1. More protein, which is filling
    2. More fiber, which is filling
    3. More volume per calorie, which is more filling
    4. Not as tasty, so you are less likely to keep eating beyond hunger.

Well, you pretty much helped explain my point. Protein is filling, fiber is filling. I could eat 300 calories of chicken and veggies or 300 calories of chips. Which would make me feel full and satisfy me? The chicken and veggies. Hence why I think nutrients are helpful to curb hunger and stay within your calorie goals. Not saying anyone needs to go and start counting macros, because that doesn't always fit for everyone. This is from me reading more about how the body works in regards to breaking down food into energy. I could find the book I read if it would help?