Associating junk food with my happy, relaxation time?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Mentali wrote: »
    I find the "just exercise instead" advice almost laughable - like if you enjoy relaxing by sitting on the couch, the suggestion of exercising instead to relax is the opposite of relaxing. That's the equivalent of saying "just stop relaxing ever" for someone like me who relaxes by....relaxing my muscles instead of using them!

I would do a mix of strategies - I keep a bag of chips in the house of my favorite flavor. When I get hungry for that flavor, I measure out exactly one serving as a treat. Then, I alternate it with a less calorie-dense snack, like some kind of veggie without a strong flavor. I get the action of eating, and the flavor of my favorite snack, with a much lower calorie count. Air-popped popcorn can be regulated with spray-on butter and make the calories a lot lower. Or try to switch to lollipops - they are sweets so they satisfy a craving, but they take a long time to eat and keep your mouth busy so 1-3 lollipops a night shouldn't destroy your deficit if you plan for it. :)

To be honest, very few people in industrialized countries use their muscles in their work so probably not a physical need to "relax the muscles instead of using them".

The OP feels she has a bad habit, developing a better one like moving when one gets home instead of being a lump on a couch. She may very well like the moving after work better.

You're right, it's not physical, it's just the way I relax. :) It's not about "need", it's about what makes me feel good and relaxed and if my way of relaxation was "sit on the couch and eat candy" and someone told me "just take a walk to relax instead".....hahahaha
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I find the "just exercise instead" advice almost laughable - like if you enjoy relaxing by sitting on the couch, the suggestion of exercising instead to relax is the opposite of relaxing. That's the equivalent of saying "just stop relaxing ever" for someone like me who relaxes by....relaxing my muscles instead of using them!

For me, the relaxing part wasn't necessarily the sitting part. I sat all day it work. I liked watching TV to give my brain a break. So I killed two birds by setting up a the big tv in my basement with headphones and a swivel mount so I could watch it while walking on my treadmill.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    So in some ways I've changed habits and in other ways I still let myself enjoy my relaxing time with snacks. I used to always come and eat junk food after putting my baby down for a nap. Instead I go work out at that time and eat s healthy snack afterwards. But at night when my kids go to bed, I do indulge in popcorn and a cookie or something while watching tv. I think it's ok to do those things sometimes just less than what you were doing! I prelog it all and weigh out my m&ms or whatever and sit and relax. I don't feel like I need to give that up. But I no longer eat a huge bowl of ice cream every day at nap time!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I would do a mix of strategies - I keep a bag of chips in the house of my favorite flavor. When I get hungry for that flavor, I measure out exactly one serving as a treat. Then, I alternate it with a less calorie-dense snack, like some kind of veggie without a strong flavor. I get the action of eating, and the flavor of my favorite snack, with a much lower calorie count. Air-popped popcorn can be regulated with spray-on butter and make the calories a lot lower. Or try to switch to lollipops - they are sweets so they satisfy a craving, but they take a long time to eat and keep your mouth busy so 1-3 lollipops a night shouldn't destroy your deficit if you plan for it. :)

I understand the "just laughable" reaction. I've come home wiped and wanting to just sit in front of the tv, eat junk food and veg out. Exercise may feel like the last thing you want to do. It absolutely would take effort to switch to exercise as your go to method of de-stressing. But I've done it, and I'm no superhero.

• walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this in a major way lol. There's nothing I like more than a big bowl of snacks and TV time after the kids go to bed. All I can do is try to:
    - portion control
    - swap out to lower calorie options such as frozen fruit
    - indulge less often

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    this is why i only eat 2 times a day. I eat a small (300-ish) meal during the day and then the rest of my calories after the gym at night. That way i can go to town ;)

I've actually kind of migrated to doing this without any plan to do it. I have found that most days just eating a couple eggs sometimes as an omelette with veggies or on a small roll with laughing cow cheese when I get out of bed is all I need.

I don't go to town most nights, but when I have 1400+ calories at 7pm well I don't have to be as careful lol. (I'm 6' and still have a lot to lose so I stay around 1800-2200 depending on physical activity)

I still occasionally eat early and bigger amounts. This is how I used to be when weight wasn't an issue. It's like welcoming an old friend back.

I agree with the "if you don't buy it you can't eat it" thoughts. You start to question the hassle of going back out to buy candy - that was my highest calorie snack. I keep loose kernel popcorn only that way I can weigh (before popping) and pop an actual serving or two and realize it actually a lot lol. I even melt some real butter for it sometimes - a little goes much further than you'd think if you slowly drizzle and mix.

And frozen grapes. Yum. I don't even keep them in the fridge at all now. Unloading groceries I pop them straight into the freezer. They are still same calories but you eat them MUCH slower and get satiated with less of them. And it's a frozen sweet treat on a hot day.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself that I have to take care of me. Have healthy snacks around helps. Reminding myself I want to fit in my clothes
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I learned to only eat at the kitchen table --- that way I do not associate the tv time with food.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

For me, the relaxing part wasn't necessarily the sitting part. I sat all day it work. I liked watching TV to give my brain a break. So I killed two birds by setting up a the big tv in my basement with headphones and a swivel mount so I could watch it while walking on my treadmill.

+1

Only for me it is my bicycle on a trainer. My husband and I just came up from riding 45 minutes while watching TV. Then we ate dinner. :)

I needed that today ... I spent the whole day sitting. Didn't get my usual walking and climbing stairs during the day. Last thing I'd want to do when I got home would be to sit more.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten the bulk of my food towards the end of the day, and I love evening snacking too. While I was losing weight, and even now at maintenance I'm still doing the same thing.

I eat a little lighter through breakfast and lunch, and have a bigger dinner. The larger dinner makes me fuller so I don't necessarily want to eat a ton of food at night, but still....I always keep about 200 calories for evening snacks.

I say if this is how you enjoy eating then just tailor your day to make it work.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I've always eaten the bulk of my food towards the end of the day, and I love evening snacking too. While I was losing weight, and even now at maintenance I'm still doing the same thing.

I eat a little lighter through breakfast and lunch, and have a bigger dinner. The larger dinner makes me fuller so I don't necessarily want to eat a ton of food at night, but still....I always keep about 200 calories for evening snacks.

I say if this is how you enjoy eating then just tailor your day to make it work.

That. When I get home from work I will have a healthy snack, but I also save calories for my fiber one bar, popcorn, skinny cow ice cream, or whichever snack I want for that day.