Keto

Options
My boyfriend and I are just starting the Keto diet. I'm on day 3. I might actually hurt someone for some chocolate cake. It's been difficult, to say the least. We're doing it for 40 days. My plan is to do this for 40 days, then switch over to Paleo and occasionally back to Keto.

Does anyone have experience with this diet? Anyone else doing it right now? Or has anyone completed it? What are your thoughts, experiences, etc?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why not chose a way of eating that you can sustain?
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I agree. Why keto? It can be dangerous.

Paleontology is great and sustainable.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It's not really something you complete. I didn't think paleo and keto were mutually exclusive.
  • SearcyCampbell
    SearcyCampbell Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Well, for starters, keto is really great for PCOS. I have a history of PCOS and hypothyroidism. As for sustainable, it's very sustainable. Keto CAN be dangerous if you don't do the necessary research, which I do daily. So far, the only danger I've run into is not being able to find a good dessert recipe, lol.

As for paleontology, well, thats not something you can eat...lol
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    So far, the only danger I've run into is not being able to find a good dessert recipe, lol.

What kind of LCHF dessert are you looking for?

• SearcyCampbell
    SearcyCampbell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    It's not really something you complete. I didn't think paleo and keto were mutually exclusive.

From what I've learned, keto is not something you should stay on for any longer than 3 months. That's when you take a break from keto and move into clean eating or paleo or whatever.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options

From what I've learned, keto is not something you should stay on for any longer than 3 months. That's when you take a break from keto and move into clean eating or paleo or whatever.

Keto is not dangerous, there's no health reason to get off it after 3 months as long as you're watching your electrolytes and being smart about it. That being said, it's very restrictive and I personally found it non-sustainable because I like carbs.

There are loads of keto-friendly desserts you can make, though! Just use google. My favourite was a keto brownie-crust cheesecake I made twice a month. I would slice it up and work a slice into my calorie limit everyday, it was only 2 or 3 carbs if I remember right.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Keto is not dangerous in the least, and it works long term very well for those who continue doing it. I've been keto for most of the last 13 months, although I think I have just been LCHF for a few short periods due to all the fresh produce and a large bowl of ice cream. :blush:

I plan to stay largely in ketosis (under 30g carbs per day) for .... well, forever. I can't see any reason to change. It improved my health, it reduced my appetite, and made weight loss easy - plus it made maintanence possible for the first time in my life. I like the food too. I miss junk food a bit, but I can't seem to moderate my intake of the sweets I loved so I would be avoiding them on any diet.

The greatest threat to my keto diet is illness and age when I may need to stay in a hospital or nursing home. Those places don't understand a healthy diet, IMO. I am hopefully decades away from that though. ;) Keto for decades... :)

I also consider my diet to be largely primal (paleo with dairy). The two are not exclusive as someone else said.

Cheesecake is the ultimate LCHF dessert. whipped cream is easy to turn into a dessert too. Fat bombs are my LCHF candy. The ones I make are chocolate with peanut butter. Yum.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For PCOS, a diet low on added sugars and junk food really works.
    Research that instead?
    Cutting out junk foods such as cake, cookies, chips, sodas.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options

It's not at all unhealthy to stay on keto indefinitely. Over in the LCD group, we have lots of folks who have been keto for years and years. For many of us, it's super sustainable as a lifestyle. I consider myself more "ultra low carb" and "grain free" than keto, just because the label of keto causes some obsession with that carb count for me. I've been doing this for going on 6 months, and I've quite literally never been healthier.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

This has been proven incorrect. Here, have a link to one of the many studies to back that up, so you know it's not just people pulling it out of their butt: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

This has been proven incorrect.

At the risk of looking like a total creeper, your profile is epic.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

This has been proven incorrect.

At the risk of looking like a total creeper, your profile is epic.

Thanks, but that was from about three years ago. I probably couldn't pull 495 right now if my life depended upon it. The funny part is, at my current bodyweight, it would be a halfway decent pull (I was about 190 then, and am 155 now).
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

HUH? I've been on it for a year now. Also not something to take a "break" from. I like to stay in ketosis. No breaks for me.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Make Keto chocolate cake. Problem solved.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Thanks, but that was from about three years ago. I probably couldn't pull 495 right now if my life depended upon it. The funny part is, at my current bodyweight, it would be a halfway decent pull (I was about 190 then, and am 155 now).

I can barely move an empty bar. So, no judgement. Ha!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Well, for starters, keto is really great for PCOS. I have a history of PCOS and hypothyroidism. As for sustainable, it's very sustainable. Keto CAN be dangerous if you don't do the necessary research, which I do daily. So far, the only danger I've run into is not being able to find a good dessert recipe, lol.

As for paleontology, well, thats not something you can eat...lol

This is my favourite keto dessert. Beware, they are mega delicious and it takes some strong will power to not eat the whole batch at once..

http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/

• Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in ketosis and love it, but it's really just a side effect of really clean eating for me. Here's my dessert I like:

3 squares of 85% or more dark chocolate
    1 cup raspberries
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    Blend until you get whipped cream consistency

I have thought about putting this in the freezer and trying it that way, however anytime I make it I eat it right away.
  • JohnMooney612
    JohnMooney612 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After a couple more days it will be lots easier. Give it a week and your body will get used to the changes. 3 days is awesome keep going strong!!