What program should I put my girlfriend on?

Options
13»

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    adoette wrote: »
    OP, as a woman who just started lifting, who girl crushes on the ladies deadlifting as much as they weigh or more, let me help a little.

Ignore the quoted post completely. In order to build bulk, you need testosterone, which women's bodies don't have in abundance. Lifting does not make women bulky. At all.

Scuse me? When I was lifting I was 5'10" tall, 220 lbs, with a 24" waist (women's size four). If your goal is to build muscle yes, as a woman you CAN build muscle. In fact most of the women I see lifting at the gym build muscle faster than men do and on lower weights. Most of them are lifting 30 and 40 lbs but they have huge muscle definition compared to guys who are lifting 300 lbs 50 times and still rocking the spaghetti noodle arms.

Why do we act like the goal for women is NOT to build muscle? Why is it a bad thing for women to look strong. I only ask because the first couple of commenters took a "women can do anything men can do" approach to the thread and then it went south...."women can do anything men can do....oh except build muscle...but who wants to LOOK like you can lift weights anyway?" Well actually a LOT of women do. There is a whole world of professional female bodybuilders out there and I love lifting. If you want to look like a dying waif, starve yourself and do nothing but cardio. I'd prefer to look as healthy and strong as I am.

I find it incredibly amusing that you get offended when people assume the most likely scenario for this woman (that she doesn't want to look bulky) and act like you're taking a feminist stance...then you insult those who would rather be thin and willowly and not have bulk by comparing them to dying waifs and saying they have to starve themselves. I guess your righteous anger is reserved for women who are just like you and everyone else can go pound sand :)

Not to mention she is the same poster who stated in this thread (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36786700/#Comment_36786700) that, in addition to several overly restrictive diets, she ate ZERO calories for two weeks and did not lose even one pound. I highly doubt the validity of that claim, but that is literally the definition of starving oneself.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has attracted attention here by the title of the thread (what program should I put my gf on?). Assuming that said girlfriend is an adult, she should be the one taking charge of her body and her life. If she asks for help in setting up a program, that's fine. I bristled at the idea that men should be in charge of making decisions that women should (and can) make for themselves.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I try to assume positive intent when I see threads from people asking what program would be good for their partners. When a person says that his girlfriend wants to start working out with him and he's asking if the program he's doing is okay for her, even if I tried, I can't read into it that he is trying to force her into some sort of nonvoluntary exercise program. I do a lot for my husband (and vice versa) and when he asks me for help, I'm smart enough to know that I don't know all of the answers to everything so sometimes I'll ask others for help. I don't see a problem with the OP doing the same thing.
  • luveydov
    luveydov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My husband was well experienced with lifting and I appreciated his help when I started. At first I followed his exact routine so that he could show me how to do each lift or use each piece of equipment. He looked at my form and helped me make adjustments. Please be aware that this is going to slow you down and that there may be some things you do that won't benefit her. After a few weeks of this, I went off on my own and adjusted my routine as I wanted.

He also bought me a book on lifting that I found helpful.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little sinister, like you're in control of her. A Svenjolly if you will.

Seinfeld!!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This whole thing reminds me of how at the start of every year and every summer there's always some woman being trained by her significant other, with this look like she's being forced to do it. The OP honestly seeking help for his girlfriend is one thing, but him saying "I'm putting her on a program cuz it's what I want" is another.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    luveydov wrote: »
    My husband was well experienced with lifting and I appreciated his help when I started. At first I followed his exact routine so that he could show me how to do each lift or use each piece of equipment. He looked at my form and helped me make adjustments. Please be aware that this is going to slow you down and that there may be some things you do that won't benefit her. After a few weeks of this, I went off on my own and adjusted my routine as I wanted.

He also bought me a book on lifting that I found helpful.

This is how I started as well. Unfortunately, at some point I was taught women should do high reps with low weights and wasted a lot of years on that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little sinister, like you're in control of her. A Svenjolly if you will.

He's just asking if training differs for women. Nothing sinister about that.

@ryanquora I've been getting much better results from my strength training now that I'm "lifting like a man."
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has attracted attention here by the title of the thread (what program should I put my gf on?). Assuming that said girlfriend is an adult, she should be the one taking charge of her body and her life. If she asks for help in setting up a program, that's fine. I bristled at the idea that men should be in charge of making decisions that women should (and can) make for themselves.

There are people who actually prefer that dynamic in a relationship. It may not be your ideal, but that doesn't make it wrong.

I see nothibg wrong with how the OP worded their post.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I try to assume positive intent when I see threads from people asking what program would be good for their partners. When a person says that his girlfriend wants to start working out with him and he's asking if the program he's doing is okay for her, even if I tried, I can't read into it that he is trying to force her into some sort of nonvoluntary exercise program. I do a lot for my husband (and vice versa) and when he asks me for help, I'm smart enough to know that I don't know all of the answers to everything so sometimes I'll ask others for help. I don't see a problem with the OP doing the same thing.

OMG...this^^^^Xs 3!!
    I read the same starting post everyone else did and couldn't for the life of me put any hidden negative meaning to it.
    Plenty of reasons a partner will say to another partner "honey, find that out for me".
    It's the very definition of a partnership for goodness sake.
    Lighten up folks.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    85kg at 5'3". I recommend you focus on her diet and cardiovascular conditioning first
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with my husband a couple months ago. I am very inexperienced so I follow what he does but with much lighter weight. I also do alot more cardio than he does. He does 15 minutes I do 45 to an hour. I eventually want to seek out a personal trainer however I want to be comfortable with myself and my current routine before I go and learn something new.
  • smile_saurus
    smile_saurus Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ryanquora wrote: »
    So my girlfriend wants to workout with me . Her weight is 85 KG and she is 5'3 tall.

Right now I am following the following routine for myself
    Mon - Chest and Triceps
    Tues - Back and Biceps
    Wed - Legs and Shoulders
    and repeat

Should I put her on the same programme?

The diet part is taken care by her but I am not sure how female training works.

how is that a routine? you're just listing body parts and days of the week. and you're doing upper body nearly three times as often as you do legs.

This is what comes to mind: wqbfvmnnz19s.jpg