Finding real honey is more difficult then you think.

Options
13»

Replies

• jamesabella
    jamesabella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think finding raw honey is all that hard. I'm a beekeeper myself and wherever you live there are bee clubs where folks will sell you as much as you could want.

I like to ask if they "feed" their bee's and when, up here in the NW it's common for beeks to feed during the late fall which is fine to carry the bee's through winter but in summer months I try to avoid those that feed. Also you want to find out how warm they heat the honey in their process. Some will use bucket style heaters which is ok with me if they keep it <115F. If you buy your local area honey it's supposed to be the best for allergies since it will contain pollen and nectar from your local plants building up your immunity.

Bee Happy,
    James
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There's a fair amount of fake honey on shelves. Also fake olive oil. Basically, if you suddenly find somthing claiming to be one of those things but lots cheaper? Its probably blended with fake stuff, if not totally faked.

Anything that is expensive is worth faking with fillers and cheaper ingredients. It's why we have government inspectors and rules about that stuff - it comes out of a time in history when people were watering down milk, filling bread with sawdust, and you don't even want to know what was going in sausages. As we decide to offshore more and more production of processed foods to keep costs low, we get what we pay for.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Jestinia wrote: »
    I don't understand why they're even allowed to call it honey when it has corn syrup or any other additive in it. Ridiculous!

Are we just taking that infographic as the truth?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That is not truth. That is a graphic someone made and put on the Internet. I could make a graphic saying all politicians are aliens with three buttocks and I could put it in the Internet. It doesn't make it true!

Calling anything "honey" when it is not pure honey is fraud, and it is illegal. Now, there is such a thing as honey fraud, it does happen, it is a problem. I listened to a radio programme about it once. Microfiltering the honey to remove pollen is indeed one method that fraudsters use, as it prevents DNA tracing. Respectable distributors do not microfilter honey, they just coarse filter it to remove the legs etc. And they absolutely don't cook it! All honey is raw.

But we are talking here about fraud, organised crime, and something the authorities are aware of and attempting to tackle. The likelihood is that the honey you are eating is genuine, not fraudulent, just as your label jeans are probably genuine and the movie you bought is probably not pirated. There is no corporate conspiracy here - just plain old crime. And it is not ubiquitous.

Plus most of the health risks and benefits listed there are pure woo and snake oil. My health advice to you all is to learn as quickly as you can to recognise quack nonsense like this and stop believing it right away.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I actually had a hive for a while. If the honey sits (for example in a 5 gallon bucket) all the particulates eventually separate out. You can get beautiful clean clear honey.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    This thread should be renamed "Getting people to believe and share your infographic full of made up information and woo without fact checking anything is much easier than you think".