Swat Walking group - July

Options
The SWaT Walking Group is starting their 10th month! :happy:

The Swat group originally started out as a walking group but we’ve kind of evolved into a very open, free-style support group. Some of us walk, some do strength training and some of us mix it up. New members are always welcome. This is a great group if you’re looking for friends and support.

There is nothing special required to join, just introduce yourself and / or post your goals for the month and you are set. Just check in whenever you would like, daily, weekly, whatever works for you.

I really need to get back on a regular consistent routine. I’ve really let myself get lazy the last couple of months and it’s time to get back to work. I’ll have my ticker set up by tomorrow so I can start the month out right.

If anyone would like a ticker check out www.tickerfactory.com and I think there are some others too.

July here we come! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sandy for starting our 10th thread yea us!!! I will be back on my game this month. Did not gain any last month but the 10 day sick sure took the ginger out of my workouts.

Happy July!!
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope all is good. I weighed this morning, I had taken the month of June off from the scale. I was down 3.8 lbs. I actually am ok with that because I ALWAYS gain in the summer and this was a loss. So I'll take it. I also set up a walking ticker for this month. I had not done it last month so didn't have any real goals. July I'm going to get some walking in. I's setting up an amount that is possible for me. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Maybe I can do more who knows.

I also am going to get back to logging and drinking my water. My good habits have kind of gone out the window durning June.

You all have a great long weekend, and stay cool, stay healthy!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    1410228k1j3adwo6e.gif
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    I, too, got lazy the last month (or two!) but I am setting goals and getting back to a healthy routine!

I am starting small--600 minutes of REAL exercise--ie. not work-related--which is only 15 minutes on workdays and 30 minutes on my days off.

It's not much, but I also know if I start doing too much too fast I will just quit. This is mainly to get back into a regular routine instead of the hit-or-miss (mostly miss!) that I had been doing!

Thanks, Sandy, for keeping this going!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: I've a feeling I would have quit a few months ago if it had been up to me!
  • TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    I'll be back!! I have to run out for work. I have a Job interview tonight so wish me luck :wink:

Oh, By the way I walked my 5.5 miles :bigsmile:

YAY :drinker: JULY Here we Come. I feel this is going to be a GREAT Month

See you all later
    Have A GREAT DAY!!!!
  • MarieS135
    MarieS135 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Im back like I said I would be. Im really ready for it this time.

I plan on logging all REAL exercise minutes. Not cutting the grass, not gardening. And not grocery shopping just because it made me grumpy...lol.

I have reset my weight loss ticker too. Wouldn't mind getting down just a bit more. And I was suprised to see I actually lost almost 2 lbs since the last time I weighed myself.

June was actually my 1 year anniversary for being a member on MFP. Did a name change in there a one point. I would like to send out new friend requests to everyoone in hopes that you will accept it. Some of you are new and some of you I hope will "Refriend" me. I don't spend AS MUCH time on the site as I used to. But I will offer as much support as I can and give out "At-A-Girl" and Woo Hoo's. I love sharing recipies and Im also wondering if any of you are vegetable gardeners.

Really looking forward to joining in again. I've missed it!

Thanks again Sandy!

Lets have a great month!
    Marie:flowerforyou:
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello Ladies!! & THANK YOU SANDY :love:

Blah! On the Job interview Im not sure the guy knows what he wants :ohwell: It's a wait & see.

Hi Marie! Are you the same Marie I was friends with before? :flowerforyou:
    WELCOME!! IF you are or NOT!!!

Welcome To All the Newbies :flowerforyou:

Kathy & SAndy.... It looks like we all had a couple of Bad months. I am So ready to get the weight off this time.

Mary... 3.8 pounds lost is wonderful. Awesome Girl :drinker: . I'm finally just back to the weight I started at In June :bigsmile:

Im heading out to clean the office. So I'll be back tomorrow
    I hope you all Have a wonderful fourth of July weekend
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sandy for starting this again! I'm going to measure minutes. My goal for now is walking/biking/swimming (some form of exercise..) 4 times per week for 30 minutes. I'm going to be working the rest of the summer in the heat without AC so I don't know how that will go. For now this is my goal.

Mary-Congrats on your loss! Good job! I won't be able to weigh until I get home but I know I won't meet my 2 pound loss goal for this vacation! Too many family dinners and dinners out...

Jenny
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everybody! Long weekend ahead! Yay!

I'm so glad to see you all in for July. I've got my ticker set up and hopefully showing up on my signature. I'll find out when I hit post! I'm going to try logging my exercises by the hour this month and I'm estimating 3 hours a week for a total of 12 hours. I'm going to count my time by quarter hours just to keep it simple. I may have to adjust my goal a bit after I see how it works out. I'm so used to doing miles I'm not sure how to go. I figure by doing hours I can still do miles since most of the WATP's are 15 minute miles.

Tonight I did the entrie Jenny Ford Step workout. I was surprised that I did a lot better than I thought I would. I've still got a long way to go but I"ve got most of the steps down and know what she means when she says switch to this or that. There are still a couple that I need to replay a bit but I didn't do too bad considering it was the first time I'd seen the steps. It took about 50 minutes to do the whole routine and I was sweating big time when it was over.

Kathy, I'm counting the Jenny Ford workout as general aerobics. Do you think that is right? I guess now is when I really need a heart monitor.

Teresa, good luck on your job interview. Maybe it will work out for you.

Marie, I'm so glad you are back! We can get back on track together!

Alice & Mary I'm glad your still with us too!

I wish that MFP did have group functions. It's so easy for people to drop off and it's easy to miss them the way the threads work.

And I want to THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS! I just make the thread post. It's all of you that make the group worthwhile. I know I would have quit a long time ago if it wasnt for all of you keeping me coming back here every day.

Yay! Jenny is still here too.
  • sandara
    Options
    Im back like I said I would be. Im really ready for it this time.

I plan on logging all REAL exercise minutes. Not cutting the grass, not gardening. And not grocery shopping just because it made me grumpy...lol.

I have reset my weight loss ticker too. Wouldn't mind getting down just a bit more. And I was suprised to see I actually lost almost 2 lbs since the last time I weighed myself.

June was actually my 1 year anniversary for being a member on MFP. Did a name change in there a one point. I would like to send out new friend requests to everyoone in hopes that you will accept it. Some of you are new and some of you I hope will "Refriend" me. I don't spend AS MUCH time on the site as I used to. But I will offer as much support as I can and give out "At-A-Girl" and Woo Hoo's. I love sharing recipies and Im also wondering if any of you are vegetable gardeners.

Really looking forward to joining in again. I've missed it!

Thanks again Sandy!

Lets have a great month!
    Marie:flowerforyou:

Congratulations on your one year Anniversary Marie! That's a huge accomplishment.

Does Farmville count as gardening? I've been doing a lot of that lately! :laugh: Seriously though I have a brown thumb. :cry:
  • Redneckgirl924
    Options
    Happy 1st Everyone!

It sounds like everyone is doing great. Keep up the good work and thanks Sandy for doing this thread for us. You rock!!!

Teresa - Good luck on your job interview and I hope you get what you want! Also, congrats on the getting back to the weight you started out in June. Way to go!

Mary - Congrats on your weightloss! You have went through alot this last month and you should be really proud of what you have accomplished. Keep up the good work.

Jenny - I'm glad to hear that you have been having fun in MI with family and friends. Enjoy the 4th with your family.

My goal for this month is going to try and workout for 30-45 minutes everyday and to get back into a regular routine. I hope! I haven't been able to workout since last Friday and that has really sucked. I was put in an air cast the middle of May and was told I could still workout but just don't over due it, keep it to walking only. I have obeyed the Dr. and only have done the Leslie DVD's, walked in the neighborhood or did water walking. I got to stop wearing the air cast last Monday and I thought great I can workout again really hard, but to my surprise my ankle feels worse and now I have to see a foot surgeon on Tuesday to see what I have done to it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and I hope you all have a Happy and Safe 4th of July!

Ann
  • constancemwj
    constancemwj Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi all,
    it's great to see everyone back again. :flowerforyou:

Last month I finished with a bang and did 25 miles in 5 days to reach my goals. So for July I've decided to try for 75 miles. I know if I stick to it I can do it. the good thing, I dropped 3lbs, this last week. The last 6 months my weight has been stuck, I've just ignored it, being happy I wasn't gaining. So hopefully this will keep me motivated.

Marie, I love gardening. every year I grow a big garden. but this year since I was going to be gone so much, I kept it small. But there's nothing better then fresh veggies from your garden.

Jenny, I'm jealous, It sound like your have so much fun, Makes me want to go back to Id and visit my family again, I have 4 sisters, and I'm the only one who moved away. I loving visiting them. but sadly I won't get to go this summer. :frown:

Sandy, thanks for all you do,,,, I tried farmville for awhile, but I could keep up, and haven't been on it for a long time. My sisters are all really into it though. I prefer the real thing. except I dont keep the animals anymore.....

Everyone have a great 4th...:drinker:
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Ann, you take care of yourself, get that ankle better. I'm anxious to see what the dr. says, you'll have to let us know right away.

I'm really excited about this month. Everyone seems ready to go and get back into things. I got my walk in this morning before it got to hot. The last couple days here the humidity index was 110 with an actual timp of 97. today we are supposed to be back into the high 80's and a lower humidity. I hate this heat, the older I get the worse I handle it. But I have my treadmill inside so when it gets to bad out I can walk inside.

Today we have a grad party, street dance and fireworks. So fun filled day! Hope everyone has a great weekend and really enjoys it!!
  • AliceLMS
    Options
    Sandy thank you for starting the July thread and keeping us all on the path. I have live in Farmville, complete with animals and gardens to tend. It's much messier and physical in real life, but never boring.

Constance weigh to go! Great loss and great effort, good for you!

Hey Teresa hope the job is your and just what you need. Congratulations on losing that weight.

Hi Marie, welcome back. I vegetable garden and also do major flower gardens, and we mow three farmyards. Do you can or freeze any of your vegetables? I have a great recipe for tomato vegetable soup, it makes 16 quarts at a time.
    I am about to go out and do some "unreal" exercise hauling woodchips for an hour in 90 degree heat. I will be logging those calories burned. I believe exercise can serve more than one purpose.

Mary way to go, hope this month is a great one for you.

Jenny the trip sounds wonderful, and you sound relaxed. Good for you, my sisters and I are talking about doing a midway get together this fall. Hope we can pull it off.

Ann hope the surgeon comes up with a solution. What a drag!! My SIL is also on a bad ankle that they thought they had fixed and she is wearing a brace fulltime. Prayers for your recovery, I know you will work your way through this.

I am going to log time and calories burned according to my HRM this month I have been doing 360 minutes or 3500 calories, and I hope to get back on track. I try to keep those minutes and calories in the real exercise area, but will also list an unusually hard workout in Agricise. Will be going to the Dr. this week as this bug is lingering in some rather unpleasant ways and I need to KILL it.

Must get back to work, Happy Fourth of July to you all!!!! Alice
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    Good Morning!

I'm about to get ready for work but I wanted to check in. I did NOT work out yesterday AT ALL (unless you count comforting a cranky grandson--1 year immunizations) but I got in a 2 mile walk for 30 minutes this morning. It's been so long that I felt almost as if I had never exercised before! NOT GOOD!!!

I WILL stick to my plan and exercise every day!!!
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hi there Ladies

I just walked 6.6 miles today , Whoo Hoo :drinker: walked around the park twice & from there I walked to the beach & back again to the park. I joined a walking group in my community & I had suggested this new Path to take & I needed to check it out first. Tomorrow I meet the group for the first time. can't wait !!! :bigsmile:

Constance.. WOW! Awesome 3 lb loss in one week. Congrats :drinker:

Sandy..... Whoo Hooo!! On getting through the Jenny ford Tape. It's a great feeling completeing something your not sure you can do.

Ann... Sh--it!!! I'm sorry your still going through that Ankle Pain. UGH!!!! I pray the doctors can help you. Just stick with the water walks, It's the best exercise. Leslie Sanson can be more aerobics then just a soft walk on the legs, So becareful you don't over due it when you get back on your feet. Be patient You will get there Girl :flowerforyou:

Kathy... Hey Your on the right path now, 2 miles in!!! Stick with it!!! you can do it!!

Mary... Thank Goodness for the treadmill, right! I'll be pulling mine out too, BUT! I'm not looking forward to it :frown:
    Sounds like a great July fourth at your place. Enjoy!!!!

Alice... Please share your tomato veggie soup recipe. Just leave out the quanity and just tell the ingredients. Because 16 quarts is way to much to make:wink:
    Good Luck with the doctors

Jenny.... What's with no A/C at the Job? Thats Bull sh--it! :noway: I feel for ya!
    Just enjoy yourself now :happy:

HAPPY FOUTH EVERYONE :drinker:
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    I finally did a 4 mile walk this morning and it felt great. The weather in MI has been inconsistent and is either cool and rainy or hot and humid. But I hear Minnesosta is worse so maybe it will improve there before we get home.

Teresa-I work in the public school system in Minnesota. Most of the school buildings are not air conditioned. I've been lucky for the past 20 years to be in those that are but no longer. They've not only made my program year round they've moved us to a non-airconditioned building. But never fear, all principals, administrators, supervisors have AC so they stay cool.

I can't get my ticker to change so I can't track the minutes I walked today. I'll keep a tally and enter when I get my own computer back at home. Being in the north woods sure makes me appreciate the amenities I have at home-good phone service, wifi, lower gas prices, AC, to name a few.

Well off to the Polish Festival for brats, beer and listening to the polka band. I can't polka but it is fun to watch. Use to try it back in HS with a friend that was Polish. He basically pulled me around the dance floor back then and it was alot of fun.

When I get home and have my own computer I will write more individual notes to all of you. I do not like this lap top of my sisters...

Jenny
  • AliceLMS
    Options
    There is no way to leave the amounts out

1 heaping sink full of tomatoes (about a peck)
    3 bunches celery chopped
    3 large onions diced
    3 large green peppers diced
    1 quart sliced carrots
    1 can lima beans
    1 can sweet peas
    1/4 cup canning salt

Blanch and peel tomatoes, cut into chunks, place in large kettle heat to a slow boil. While tomatoes are heating prepare fresh vegetables and cook to tender crisp in a large kettle. Add veggies to tomatoes, add 1 can peas and limas, add the salt.

This is the basic recipe. When I am canning this I do not add extra spices as they can get quite strong in the process. You can add spices as you like when heating it to eat. Basil is great in this. I like it with beef broth added, add meat if you like. I also add navy beans or garbanzos. I have also pureed it for a creamy tomatoe soup.

Good luck reducing the amounts. This is a winter time staple here. I can about 60 quarts for our house and my DIL's house.
    The GKD's just pointed out that we are down to our last 2 pints of lumpy apple sauce. I make it with sweet and tart apples and rarely have to add any sugar.

Oh life on the farm. I grew up making butter, wine, cottage cheese and various and other sundries at home. We froze or canned all our own produce. My Mother would have 80 quarts of dill pickles, and sweet pickles, and pickled peppers. Maple syrup came in dry form, 5 pound blocks of maple sugar, which you added water to and cooked down. Endless quarts of tomatoes lined the shelves, and beans. carrots, peas, and on and on. Dried peppers of all varieties hung in bunches in the attic. Dries limas and kidney beans and great northers, were shelled while watching tv and put away for later. Bread baking was on Monday every week. I do not know how she managed it all. There were jams and jellies, and freezers full of meat and fruit and pies all prepared, crust frozen, stacked in bags and prepared fillings frozen in the shape of the pan to just pop into the crusts. Lest you think this was all she did all week, we had a home business, the family farm, there were nine of us, and she was an RN.

It is a habit I cannot break, I love putting food up. I love growing it, I love preparing it, I love knowing exactly whats in the food I give my family. Totaly old fashioned!!! Wow I have just babbled myself silly. Spent the evening setting up my first mist irrigation system for the flowers. Have many flower gardens and gardens to go and then will start on the park gardens when I have the system down pat. Nite all, Alice
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello !!! :flowerforyou:

Jenny ..... How was the festival? Sounds like your really enjoying yourself.

Alice.... Thanks for the soup Recipe. I must try it! Sounds Yummy.
    It was awesome hearing all that your Mom did & she worked too. She was some amazing women!!! Sounds like a wonderful life living on the farm. Alot of work though :wink:

I was to meet up with a walking group this morning for the first time, But only one person showed up. Come to find out later that it was canceled due to rain. But it turned out, NO rain So me and the girl took the walk together. She walks slower then I But it was a nice moderate walk and great company anyhow. I forgot to turn my HRM on and didn't bring my pedometer either, so I'm just estimating the distance walked. we walked about one hour

Happy July Fourth Ladies :drinker:
  • sandara
    Options
    Hi Everybody! I hope your all enjoying a nice long weekend. I haven't gotten any formal exercising in but I did spend about 3 hours cutting grass & weed eating. I'm not going to count it towards my goal for the month though. At least my poor house doesn't look like it's been abandoned anymore. :laugh:

Alice, the soup sounds awesome. I"m going to have to save it for fall and give it a try. My Mom used to do a lot of canning too, nothing like yours but I really miss the plum jelly she made.

Teresa, It would be fun to find a walking group. Good luck with it, keep trying, maybe they'll show up next time.

Hopefully we'll get in a short motorcycle ride tomorrow. We decided to get the yard work done today so we could enjoy tomorrow.

Have a Happy Fourth Everyone!