Am confused about the definition of low carb diet

Options
kdotmvp
kdotmvp Posts: 9 Member
Everyone is different, I get that so its hard to understand what a low carb diet would be for me. I currently eat ~150g of carbs in my ~1,400 diet. Any suggestion on what an ideal low carb diet for me?

Replies

• lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says to start out with 20g or less then work your way up. This is a confusing topic for me as well. Good luck on your journey.
  • kdotmvp
    Options
    Everything I have read says to start out with 20g or less then work your way up. This is a confusing topic for me as well. Good luck on your journey.

Thanks
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hello, low carb is different for everyone. The Atkins diet says to start with 20 g. I did that for years, but now that Iam older, Iam working at being healthy and not just skinny anymore. I eat a 1200 cal diet, try to stay around 70-90 carbs, and my sugars around 25 g. I feel so much better physically if I watch my carbs and sugar. I've loss 60 lbs since Jan 4th of this year and still have just over 100 lbs left. Depending on how much you have to lose, you should lose on 1400 cal and 150 carbs, Good luck in your journey.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    OP, I think to determine that, you would first have to decide what it is you're trying to accomplish by going low carb. If you don't know where you're going, it's pretty hard to figure out how to get there.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    low carb is carbs of 150g or less, keto is 50g of net carbs or less per day,. there is a bit of a difference. the first one you wont be in ketosis and the second one you will enter ketosis at some point(most people will need to eat less than 50g and others may not)
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    low carb is carbs of 150g or less, kept is 50g of net carbs or less per day,. there is a bit of a difference. the first one you wont be in ketosis and the second one you will enter ketosis at some point.

Is there anything negative about ketosis? Like is it hard on the organs or anything?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    pvju wrote: »
    low carb is carbs of 150g or less, kept is 50g of net carbs or less per day,. there is a bit of a difference. the first one you wont be in ketosis and the second one you will enter ketosis at some point.

Is there anything negative about ketosis? Like is it hard on the organs or anything?

from those that I know that are on it and have done it for years no, but its not a magical weight loss way of eating its still about CICO. a lot of people do a keto diet,it helps those who have insulin resistance issues,diabetes,PCOS and some with seizure disorders. its very hard to maintain for a lot of people and its very easy to be knocked out of ketosis,some will get whats called keto flu(you feel like you have the flu). there are a lot of keto groups on the site just do a search and you can get more help and info from them. ketosis is not the same as ketoacidosis
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kdotmvp wrote: »
    Everyone is different, I get that so its hard to understand what a low carb diet would be for me. I currently eat ~150g of carbs in my ~1,400 diet. Any suggestion on what an ideal low carb diet for me?

1400 is too low for a male,a sedentary male with NO exercise should not eat below 1500 calorie unless under the strict care of a doctor
  • kdotmvp
    Options

1400 is too low for a male,a sedentary male with NO exercise should not eat below 1500 calorie unless under the strict care of a doctor

Its a bit awkward since I eat usually around 1200 cal
  • kdotmvp
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping me solve that. I decided its be best going carb cycling. 3 days low carbs 4 days normal (150g).
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping me solve that. I decided its be best going carb cycling. 3 days low carbs 4 days normal (150g).

I wouldn't call 150g grams of carbs normal by any stretch of the imagination.
  • kdotmvp
    Options

Then what would you call it. Excessive?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Excessive? My daily goal is 387g today and that isn't excessive. Top end low carb diet is 150g, I don't think many would consider it "normal" but what it is low. Your macros just seem relatively low as you have your kcal set to 1200 the baseline for a female not 1500 advised for a male.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Its a bit awkward since I eat usually around 1200 cal

how do you know you are only eating 1200? are you weighing everything on a food scale and not in cups? are you picking the right entries in MFP if not you could be eating more than that and if you are doing all that and only eating 1200 then you need to eat more. 1200 is too little. heck Im 5'6 1/2,41 year old female and lose weight on 1600+,its slower but I still lose. If I can eat that much you being male and most likely younger (not sure about height) can eat more especially if you are more active.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Excessive? My daily goal is 387g today and that isn't excessive. Top end low carb diet is 150g, I don't think many would consider it "normal" but what it is low. Your macros just seem relatively low as you have your kcal set to 1200 the baseline for a female not 1500 advised for a male.

for him 150 may be normal for you 387 may be your normal. everyone is different.yes its low but its a decent level. you can still eat a lot of food with 150g of carbs.especially if one is eating mostly nutrient dense foods(veggies,meats,etc)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb for my diabetes, but I aim for a percentage, not a number. I'm trying to get to 30% of my 1560 cals, which is in the neighborhood of 100 grams of carbs. Most of that is from fruit and some dairy.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Like ponycyndi, I aim for a percentage due to pcos and insulin resistance. Mine is 25% of my total daily. That is total carbs, not net carbs.