Come on, mfp. 1200?

Options

Replies

• TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and 96lbs, so I'm pretty midgety, and it had me at 1200 for a 1/2lb loss. Then last week I changed the settings to maintenance & it put me at whopping 1300. That was kind of sad. I do earn back probably 300-500 a day though, so with that it isn't so bad. I just have to make sure to move a lot in order to eat good stuff. Sigh...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »
    I'm 4'11" and 96lbs, so I'm pretty midgety, and it had me at 1200 for a 1/2lb loss. Then last week I changed the settings to maintenance & it put me at whopping 1300. That was kind of sad. I do earn back probably 300-500 a day though, so with that it isn't so bad. I just have to make sure to move a lot in order to eat good stuff. Sigh...

you have my sympathy...but at least if you move more you get to eat more...you are a tiny little woman tho...wow

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    OP I'm 5'9" and I lost all my weight eating an average of 1800 a day. If you're worried you won't stick to it because you'll be too hungry, I would set your diary to lose .5 pounds a week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Lolz to 1,200 and defending it by saying feeling hungry consistently is normal and people need to accept it. Sorry that's a no. If you feel hungry regularly, you aren't eating enough OR you aren't eating enough nutrient dense foods. Hunger an hour or so before meal time? Acceptable. All day? Nope.

Ya, I'm only hungry right before meals. I don't have an aggressive calorie deficit and I do focus on foods that satiate me, which for me are foods containing protein, fat, and fiber.

Sure, I could lose weight faster if I was willing to be hungry all day, but it's better for me to develop healthy eating habits I can live with for the rest of my life.
  • Christopher1912
    Christopher1912 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started using The Biggest Loser cookbook and it had the equation on taking your weight, if between 150 and 300 pounds and multiplying it by 7, that would be your daily caloric intake. Based on your weight the formula would be at 1330 calories a day.....although i took what they recommended for me and took 150 off of it. That being said, I have been losing weight by eating when im hungry, not eating when im not, or if i do something very very small. My weight loss of 22 pounds in 7 weeks isnt very fast, but im hoping that its more of a lifestyle change i can maintain and not just another fad diet. Stick with it :)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I started using The Biggest Loser cookbook and it had the equation on taking your weight, if between 150 and 300 pounds and multiplying it by 7, that would be your daily caloric intake. Based on your weight the formula would be at 1330 calories a day.....although i took what they recommended for me and took 150 off of it. That being said, I have been losing weight by eating when im hungry, not eating when im not, or if i do something very very small. My weight loss of 22 pounds in 7 weeks isnt very fast, but im hoping that its more of a lifestyle change i can maintain and not just another fad diet. Stick with it :)

What?

22 pounds in 7 weeks isn't very fast.....for who? Someone that's 350+ pounds (maybe).

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Agreed. Also that cookbook has an awful formula. A 150 pound person would only be allowed 1050 calories which is insanely low and not at all reasonable. The Biggest Loser isn't exactly the best source of advice given the recent news article(s) and all. I'm 5'3", 110 pounds, and I'm still losing weight on 1800 to 2000 calories per day. By The Biggest Loser standards, a 300 pound person would only be allowed 100 calories more than me for weight loss. That is far too low, especially without factoring in activity levels.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Google Scooby Calculator. Go to that website. Read about TBEE and BMR. Calculate yours and use THAT number.

Most people should NOT be eating a mere 1200 calories unless they are 4'11" or 88 years old. That's less than they would feed you intravenously if you were in a coma for heaven's sake.

Scientific research can be very eye opening. The amount of nonsense perpetuated on these message boards is astonishing and quite frankly, with the ease of Google, inexcusable.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Google Scooby Calculator. Go to that website. Read about TBEE and BMR. Calculate yours and use THAT number.

Most people should NOT be eating a mere 1200 calories unless they are 4'11" or 88 years old. That's less than they would feed you intravenously if you were in a coma for heaven's sake.

Scientific research can be very eye opening. The amount of nonsense perpetuated on these message boards is astonishing and quite frankly, with the ease of Google, inexcusable.

not yet...TDEE is for someone who is consistent with exercise...it is best to just use the number here when the stats are entered in correctly and find out how many exercise calories to eat back and calculate your own TDEE using your numbers not some guesstimate from a website.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    And this is where I defend MFP's exercise calorie counts, to some extent. I always hear how MFP overestimates exercise calories. But I did the 1200 calorie thing for a year and was only able to do it because I exercise a lot and ate back those calories that MFP said I burned. I only truly ate 1200 calories on days that I was a total couch potato, and I think that's fair. I lost 30 lbs at a nice, slow, steady rate and did not starve. In fact, I refuse to let myself be hungry; it's not worth it.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Im always intrigued as to why people defend the 1200 cal goal? If it is possible to eat more and still lose, why do people not want to try? Why would you want to be "mildly hungry" all the time. That sounds miserable.

For decades now, women's magazines and "nutrition" magazines have touted "1200 calorie diet plans!" as the "right way to do it." I remember standing in the checkout line at the grocery store, scanning across Women's Day and Family Circle and Good Housekeeping and all the rest, each of them in a row with their covers offering "1200 calories to lose 10 by Memorial Day!"

It's so ingrained as the "calories a woman needs" that I have met women who think that 1200 calories are *all* a woman *should* eat. Period. Ever. Daily. Not for weight loss, but they think that's all a woman *needs.*
  • lilcharmer214
    lilcharmer214 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Its interesting that some are saying choosing 2 lbs a week.

I'm on the 1200 calorie goal and my goal was 1 - 1.5 lbs weekly.

But I'm 5'1.

In fact, no matter how I played around with it (changing the pounds or workouts) it still said 1200
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

But I'm 5'1.

In fact, no matter how I played around with it (changing the pounds or workouts) it still said 1200

MFP expects you to add workouts after the fact. Logging your workouts (under cardiovascular) will always give you more calories. Activity level is basically just based on your job.

1/2 pound a week is for those that are within 15 pounds of goal....I'm guessing it's still not a whole lot more than 1200.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

But I'm 5'1.

The planned workouts don't affect it at all (not until you actually do it and log it, when the calories are added on). That's one of the problems -- people assume they do and that that means exercise is included in the number already, but it's not.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Shana67 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It isn't for everyone. I have a fairly active job, so 1200 would not work for me. Generally those who are smaller and older are ideal for that amount.

Well. I'm not small, nor am I old, and it is working just fine. I workout 6x/week for an hour each time. Personally, I just think one needs to get used to feeling mildly hungry most of the time. *shrugs*

If you are really eating 1200 you are losing muscle and fat...no thanks.

I prefer to keep my muscle and lose at a slower rate. *shrugs*

and there is no reason to feel even "mildly hungry" most of the time...it's like you are punishing yourself for gaining weight. SMH

OP your goal should be to eat as much food as possible and still lose a reasonable amount of weight....that way you know you aren't losing as much muscle as fat....which in the long run is not a good thing.

When I start here I was at the same weight...I chose 1lb a week...got the same calorie goal as you and it was great...I ate back exercise calories, was never hungry, and I have lost 50+ lbs and have kept most of my muscle.

Just reiterating that this person knows her stuff!!!! Definitely listen to her.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

But I'm 5'1.

If you are petite (you are) and don't have a lot to lose (not sure what your current weight is) and select a sedentary activity level, MFP is going to estimate your NEAT calories (BMR + non-exercise activity) to be pretty low. MFP then takes the deficit of how fast you want to lose the weight from that NEAT estimate, but it bottoms out at 1200 cals. So if MFP thinks your NEAT is 1700 and you select to lose 1 lb/week, it will give you a cal deficit of 500 cals and a goal of 1200. But if MFP thinks your NEAT is 1500 and you select 1 lb/week it still tries to subtract 500 cals, but won't go below 1200, so you would get the same number. Regardless of what goal you choose, when you exercise and burn more, then you would eat back at least some those calories.

I am also petite and also had an initial goal of 1200 but quickly realized that I could eat more and lose weight. Additionally I have figured out that even though I have a desk job, I'm far from sedentary, averaging 15K steps/day now (not at first, I've worked up to this) and so I've changed my setting to active. It syncs well with my FitBit and I still eat back those exercise adjustments. I lost the weight I set out to lose and am successfully maintaining with this approach.

• Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just rejoined minutes ago. Yes, 1200 was what I got too. 5'0 only. Actually I am a little worried about this number. It said I would lose 1 pound a week. yikes. Its depressing how fast I can put it on and how slow if at all it leaves :(
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Ila1227 wrote: »
    Hi. I just rejoined minutes ago. Yes, 1200 was what I got too. 5'0 only. Actually I am a little worried about this number. It said I would lose 1 pound a week. yikes. Its depressing how fast I can put it on and how slow if at all it leaves :(

how much do you want to lose?

and remember you can eat more if you move more...ie bike rides, runs, weights..exercise.