Ingredients:
    • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour to soften; drained
    • 2 bunches green or red curly kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
    • 1/3 cup unsweetened plain soymilk, almondmilk or ricemilk, or water
    • 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
    • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    • 3 cloves garlic
    • 1 tablespoon onion granules
    • Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon juice)
    • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Method:

Preheat the oven to 275°F.

In a blender, purée soaked cashews, soymilk, peppers, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion granules, lemon juice and salt. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, lightly coat kale leaves with cashew sauce and spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Make sure leaves are not stacked on top of each other, so that leaves dry and bake evenly.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crisp, gently turning over about halfway through cooking. You can also use a dehydrator to dry the chips. Remove from baking sheets and repeat with remaining kale leaves and cashew mixture. Cool completely, then store in an airtight container.

Watch our video featuring this recipe.

Nutritional Info:

Per Serving: 150 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 200mg sodium, 15g carbohydrates, (3 g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 7g protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Ooo! I'm going to try this as soon as cherries come around to my farmer's market:

Wilted Kale with Cherries

Ingredients:
    • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 cup apple juice, divided
    • 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and quartered
    • 1 large bunch kale (about 3/4 pound), stems and tough ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
    • 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts

Method:

Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until they just start to stick to the pan, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup apple juice and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in cherries, remaining apple juice and kale. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or just until kale is wilted. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts.

Nutritional Info:

Per Serving: 170 calories (50 from fat), 6g total fat, 60mg sodium, 29g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 9g sugar), 7g protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As i said at the start if you substituted the snacks you usually eat and have kale instead it would most likely help you lose weight (like any other healthy,low calorie food). This is because you could potentially be cutting out 100's of calories, like my mams friend i assume.

yes...that is true, and that is fine...the point people are making is that there are numerous things you could replace "junk" food with that are just as nutritious...rock the kale if you like kale...but there's tons of highly nutritious things to eat out there...and really, a variety of veg and fruit is where it's at for an overall outstanding nutritional profile.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001

Those sound amazing too. I'll have to try those on occasion too! :smile:
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly amazed they are allowed to sell kale as food. Disgusting
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Let me reframe that for you:

"I'm honestly amazed they are allowed to sell raw tomatoes as food. Disgusting."

Others feel the same about cilantro.

See how that works?

Also, again, kale might be bad because it is old and tough. My kale straight from the garden is very different from bagged, chopped kale I made the mistake of buying from the supermarket once.
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Up until a year ago I didn't have any idea what Kale was and at one point thought people were spelling Yale wrong lmbo...silly me. But I didn't think I would like kale until I blended it into my spinach fruit smoothies. Its really good blended or sauteed. I even love the chips. Kale is bland otherwise but it does help when you replace it with junk foods like chips and other salty snacks.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Why don't collards get any love? Just as good nutritionally and far easier to prepare.

Mmm-hmmm, right on. Cook them down with some ham & onions, yessir.

I've been cooking it down and adding it to some meals/soups lately. It does seem to cut down hunger for me and is filling. I buy the diced frozen kale in the freezer bag. It went well with turkey sausage today.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It can be the god of super foods all it wants but it tastes like crap lol. And Kale is only the super food for right now, in 6 years it's going to be something else.

Six years? More like six minutes. ;)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It can be the god of super foods all it wants but it tastes like crap lol. And Kale is only the super food for right now, in 6 years it's going to be something else.

Where muh raspberry ketones m8?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

kynfhm5bw9x8.jpeg

Back to where it really belongs!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

It is an acquired taste. I like it. But I like collard greens, Brussel sprouts, spinach, and many other green and varied veggies.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Where muh raspberry ketones m8?

There it is! Hiding between the quinoa and the chia seeds. :)