Options

Replies

• Jla408
    Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Jla408 wrote: »
    Well, if everything is as you say and you are being accurate in your calorie counting and exercise calorie burns - and you are not losing weight, then you know what you have to do. Eat less than the amount you currently are, and/or increase the exercise.

Is it fair? No. But it's what you'll have to do to create the calorie deficit that will lead to a weight loss.

Also remember that all those numbers you get online about how much to eat are estimates. They are a starting point. You adjust according to your personal experience. If you are gaining or maintaining on what is recommended, increase the deficit.

EDIT: And, of course, I'm sorry to hear how frustrating you're finding all of this. Losing weight is hard. I found it easier to quit smoking.

I have found through trial and error, if I have less than an 1800 calorie net, that I am dizzy and sick and cannot do the workouts I do. I am exercising 1-2 hours a day, every day.

Okay; for a month stop the workouts and eat 1800 calories a day. See what happens then.

I am not stopping workouts, they are the best part of my day and what I look forward to every day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food? It really makes a difference. You could be eating more then you think you are. I stalled too and was stuck for about two months and felt the same as you, then I decided to buy a food scale and start actually weighing my food. Turns out I was eating way more then I thought I was. Now that I've been weighing my food and making sure I'm actually eating my calorie budget to lose weight I've been consistently losing and haven't had a single problem or stall except around my period but that's just hormonal water retention.

Yes, I weigh everything.

In grams? Even prepackaged food? If that is a yes, then the problem is the exercise calories.
  • Jla408
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food? It really makes a difference. You could be eating more then you think you are. I stalled too and was stuck for about two months and felt the same as you, then I decided to buy a food scale and start actually weighing my food. Turns out I was eating way more then I thought I was. Now that I've been weighing my food and making sure I'm actually eating my calorie budget to lose weight I've been consistently losing and haven't had a single problem or stall except around my period but that's just hormonal water retention.

Yes, I weigh everything.

In grams? Even prepackaged food? If that is a yes, then the problem is the exercise calories.

I weigh everything in usually grams or ounces, depending on how it is logged in mfp. I use a heart rate monitor for exercise that I claim through mfp, and dont eat back all the calories( usually only about half ln case it overestimates)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's a rant
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If all that is true, you're going to have to cut calories. Maybe start by not eating any exercise calories back?
  • Jla408
    Options
    Well, if everything is as you say and you are being accurate in your calorie counting and exercise calorie burns - and you are not losing weight, then you know what you have to do. Eat less than the amount you currently are, and/or increase the exercise.

Is it fair? No. But it's what you'll have to do to create the calorie deficit that will lead to a weight loss.

Also remember that all those numbers you get online about how much to eat are estimates. They are a starting point. You adjust according to your personal experience. If you are gaining or maintaining on what is recommended, increase the deficit.

EDIT: And, of course, I'm sorry to hear how frustrating you're finding all of this. Losing weight is hard. I found it easier to quit smoking.

I have found through trial and error, if I have less than an 1800 calorie net, that I am dizzy and sick and cannot do the workouts I do. I am exercising 1-2 hours a day, every day.

Okay; for a month stop the workouts and eat 1800 calories a day. See what happens then.

I am not stopping workouts, they are the best part of my day and what I look forward to every day.

Fair enough. Carry on as you are. Don't try anything different to what you are currently doing. But don't expect any change either to your current situation.

I don't understand how stopping workouts would benefit me in any way at all.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If all that is true, you're going to have to cut calories. Maybe start by not eating any exercise calories back?

Agreed. The calculators are just estimates. If you're weighing all of your food in grams and sometimes ounces, using a HRM, and not even eating back all of your exercise calories then you simply burn way less than online calculators assume. CICO works for everyone and yours needs to be adjusted. Instead of netting 1800 to 2000, try netting around 1600 for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that you should stop exercising.

If you're not holding onto water weight then your body isn't in a caloric deficit. I'm the same age and almost the same weight as you, though 6'0" tall, and I eat anywhere from 1800 to 2400 calories a day depending on how much exercise I do, and I'm losing steadily.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    If you're consistently eating 1800 - 1900 calories per day and remain at 330 lbs even with exercise something is wrong. I agree with starting by not eating your exercise calories.

Weighing and measuring your food is one thing, but choosing the correct entries is another. There are a lot of inaccurate entries, unfortunately. Do you compare what you log to sites such as USDA for accurate numbers?
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Fair enough. Carry on as you are. Don't try anything different to what you are currently doing. But don't expect any change either to your current situation.

I don't understand how stopping workouts would benefit me in any way at all.

It will tell you if you are measuring the calories you are burning wrong and actually over eating when you don't think you are.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I'm sorry you are experiencing this.

I'm a stickler for weighing and measuring my foods. Do you weigh out your foods as well? I've found that it's helped me out so much. I had no idea what a true portion size was just by looking at labels.

I also drink lots of water. It's only 245pm where I am right now and I've had 12 cups. I'm usually sipping all day. Water & mint tea :)

Yes, I weigh everything. I am at 14 cups at 3:30

Awesome :) glad to hear you are weighing your food :) that is a huge deal :) and yay for the water intake

Ok - let's try and figure this out together :)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ^^ what sassymomm wrote.

There are so many estimates happening when we start off trying to lose weight. Let's begin by proving you can lose weight on a calorie deficit purely based on food intake. Once that is sorted, then bring in exercise.
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I will also agree that you're probably overeating and overestimating calorie burn. As example, my cup of grapes as measured in a measuring cup actually weighed out to almost twice the calories. If you're not weighing ANY of your food, you could be easily consuming twice as many calories of everything. I don't believe there is any way you are burning 1000 calories biking. 210 here and I did a 60 min bike ride the other night. Covered almost 10 miles. Worked my tail off. Hills and faster pace on flat road and everything. MFP estimated my calorie burn at 539, and I even wonder if that is overestimated. (Runkeeper estimated my calorie burn at 528.)
  • Jla408
    Options
    Rosefern1 wrote: »
    I will also agree that you're probably overeating and overestimating calorie burn. As example, my cup of grapes as measured in a measuring cup actually weighed out to almost twice the calories. If you're not weighing ANY of your food, you could be easily consuming twice as many calories of everything. I don't believe there is any way you are burning 1000 calories biking. 210 here and I did a 60 min bike ride the other night. Covered almost 10 miles. Worked my tail off. Hills and faster pace on flat road and everything. MFP estimated my calorie burn at 539, and I even wonder if that is overestimated. (Runkeeper estimated my calorie burn at 528.)

I don't burn 1000 Calories biking, i burn 300-600 doing a interval boxing class that ranges from half hour to an hour. I weigh everything.
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I don't burn 1000 Calories biking, i burn 300-600 doing a interval boxing class that ranges from half hour to an hour. I weigh everything.

Sorry! Put that on the wrong post!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In the past three weeks, what is your average number of calories eaten (not netted) each day?
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you're really weighing everything and haven't seen any loss, than I think that you might have an issue bigger than strangers on a free website can help you with. I feel like you should see a professional who can tailor a plan directly to your needs, whether that is a nutritionist, a GP, or even a fitness trainer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP can you open up your diary? It will help people give you much more precise help. Often times other people can see little mistakes that we don't even realise we're doing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If you are truly doing everything you say you are, then it shouldnt be a problem to set your diary to public for the time being :smile: