I'm considering switching from a Low-Carb diet to 1200 calorie diet

Options
Due to mood swings and mental exhaustion after 27 days on the diet I'm considering switching to a 1200 calorie diet--
I am no longer losing weight and I think it's making my IBS worse--

has anyone else done this successfully? I'm worried about gaining more weight than I started with but I need to be able to think again!

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    The low-carb diet only works by being under your maintenance calories.
    Pretty much everyone here has done "it" successfully, it's what this site is all about.

As long as you are under your maintenance calories, you'll lose weight - it's that simple.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb for over a year. It worked for me.

Did you increase your sodium to 3000-5000 mg per day to make up for electrolytes lost in water weight? Low sodium can cause fatigue, muscle and BM issues.
  • budonyan
    budonyan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Did you increase your sodium to 3000-5000 mg per day to make up for electrolytes lost in water weight? Low sodium can cause fatigue, muscle and BM issues.

This makes a lot of sense-- I have to increase my sodium. How many calories a day did you stick to? I average around 1600-1700
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are doing LOW carb not NO carb. Your body needs carbs to function just not in excess. If you cut out to many carbs your body will begin breaking down proteins for energy and this can make you very sick.
  • budonyan
    budonyan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are doing LOW carb not NO carb. Your body needs carbs to function just not in excess. If you cut out to many carbs your body will begin breaking down proteins for energy and this can make you very sick.

I do about 15-20 net carbs a day. Which is around the Atkins induction-- I think that's ok? I'm not entirely sure right now. I am going to increase my sodium for now since it looks like I average 1500mg a day
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    1500mg a day is the sodium amount recommended by the American Heart Association.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough oils? Enough fiber?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Why not both? As an emotional eater I still need to watch my calories.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

The body turns fat into ketones... that's why you go into ketosis. And gluconeogenesis isn't inherently bad.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Your body does not need dietary carbs. It does need 80-150g of glucose per day but that can easily be met with proteins and fats in the diet.

I know of a few people who eat very lose to zero carb (carnivore) and they are very very healthy.
    budonyan wrote: »

This makes a lot of sense-- I have to increase my sodium. How many calories a day did you stick to? I average around 1600-1700

When I was losing I was averaging 1500 kcal per day (at 5'8", sedentary, and starting at 190lbs). My days varied a lot. Some days were 1100kcals and others were 2000 kcals. I'm at maintenance now and eat between 2000-2500 kcals per day.

For sodium, drink a cup or two of broth per day, take salt tablets or add a teaspoon of salt to water. It helps! Potassium and magnesium can get low too so potassium and magnesium citrate supplements can help. Be aware that too much Mg can cause loose bowels though.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group. Low carb isn't well understood on the main boards; the people at LCD will be able to help. They are a nice bunch. :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • MermaidsWhimsy66
    MermaidsWhimsy66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you should be at 30 carbs. I usually do 50 to 100. No wonder you might be sick feeling. That is way too low. But perhaps you should see a nutritionist to find out what you might be lacking. Lack of fresh vegetables and a few fruits might be making you feel terrible. You need all the vitamins and minerals.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    budonyan wrote: »

If you were losing weight eating 1600-1700 calories, then there's no need to go down to 1200, low carb or not.

How long has it been since you stopped losing?