Unable to lose my stomach fat

Options
Ok so I know spot reduction isn't possible but even after 2 yrs of giving birth, I am not able to tone my abs. I don't have a lot of money and a a lot of time so I do Jillian Michael workouts at home. I was able to lose around 20 lbs, shrunk 2 sizes but my stomach is just the same. I am not able to see a visible difference though my core strength has improved. Any workout suggestion? Diet suggestions?

Replies

• jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm sure you'll groan at seeing this, sorry about that ;) , but are you sure you're eating at a deficit? I'm new at this, but I think stomach fat is pretty similar to hip fat, or leg fat - a reasonable calorie deficit should get rid of it in time, and then abdominal muscles will become visible if developed enough.
    All the best!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's fat? It could be excess skin?
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It would help to know your current height and weight.
  • tlobatomfp
    tlobatomfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Study up on the function of the liver and you will see that this person knows what they're talking about. The remedy? I believe it would work.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Here is a 4 step approach to lose fat and maintain as muscle, so you looked more "toned" in the end:
    1. eat at a slight deficit (only way to lose weight/fat is a deficit)
    2. get adequate protein (helps retain muscle)
    3. do some sort of strength training, preferably a structured program (helps retain muscle)
    4. Give it time

I would listen to this. one thing to note though, if you don't have adequate muscle mass, you wont' see abs. I know a lot of underweight women who have this issue. So to have abs, it's not just about low body fat% but overall, good body composition.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    The lemon water, cranberry juice stuff is laughable. Really.

If you needed a true detox you would be in the hospital. And if lemon water was all it took there would be no fat folks. Everyone would have a flat stomach.

Belly fat is usually the last fat to go and you can't spot reduce it. You have to keep losing fat until it starts to come off of the abdomen. And you do that with a moderate calorie deficit over time.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Have you measured your belly? With a 20 lb weight loss I suspect it has shrunk-but still feels large as the rest of you has also shrunk.

Do planks and burpees
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The waters listed above may help one feel full and eat less. The sour taste may also help reduce cravings. Not a miracle.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It could be excess skin. I'm in the same boat minus the child birth. I was over 200lbs then went down to 150 building myself back up from there. No matter how lean I get I constantly have lose skin covering my lower abs that will just not go away. So yeah anyone that knows anyways to fix this besides surgery let's hear it.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    solmonkane wrote: »
    Every other person on this planet wants to lose belly fat! Yes it is this great an issue. Belly fat not only gives you an ugly look but can be dangerous for your health too. The visceral fat or the fat around your abdomen can lead to diabetes, heart diseases, stroke as well as dementia. When it comes to lose abdominal fat, the right foods are a necessity. They detox your liver and boost your metabolism so that your body can target belly fat. There are numerous fat burning foods and spices that can help you lose your belly fat. Here are some really effective home remedies to lose belly fat with the help of such foods and spices.

1. Drink Lemon Water to Lose Belly Fat
    You need to detoxify your liver because a stressed liver cannot metabolize fat effectively and which gets deposited around your waistline. Lemon water excellently increases enzymes that detoxify your liver so that it may carry out its basic functions efficiently.

Get this:
    Lemon- 1
    Water (warm preferred)- 1 glass

Do this:
    After you get up in the morning, take the lemon and squeeze out its juice into the water.
    While warm water is good to make lemon water for fat burning purpose, you can also use water at room temperature. This won’t stop lemon doing its job.
    Mix well and drink this lemon water on an empty stomach everyday in the morning.
    Do not eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes after you have your regular lemon water every morning.

2. Drink Cranberry Juice to Lose Belly Fat
    Cranberries are a rich source of organic acids like malic acid, citric acid, and quinic acid that function as digestive enzymes. These acids act as emulsifying agents on stubborn fat deposits in your lymphatic system which transports all the waste products that your liver cannot process. Cranberry juice digests these lymphatic wastes and help you reduce fat. So, drink 100 percent cranberry juice (unsweetened) or cran-water.

Get this:
    Unsweetened cranberry juice- 8 oz. Or 1 cup
    Water- 56 oz. Or 7 cup

Do this:
    In the morning, mix cranberry juice with water to get your day’s supply of cran-water.
    Have one cup of this cran-water at a time through out the day.
    You may have a cup each before breakfast and lunch, after dinner, and at other times of the day.
    You may also make this cran-water just before you have it. Just mix 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice to 7 oz. (a little less than a cup) of plain water.

this is all mumbo jumbo. you can't spot reduce. and combining unsweetened juice or lemons or whathave you to water is just ridiculousness to think it will do ANYTHING to help lose weight in the long run
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Leslie sansone walking YouTube helped me after my baby. I'm now doing skipping/jump rope.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Here is a 4 step approach to lose fat and maintain as muscle, so you looked more "toned" in the end:
    1. eat at a slight deficit (only way to lose weight/fat is a deficit)
    2. get adequate protein (helps retain muscle)
    3. do some sort of strength training, preferably a structured program (helps retain muscle)
    4. Give it time

How much time in general? Few months? A year? 10 years? I know it's probably different depending on how much a person needs to lose but it's a logical question to ask. It's frustrating to continue to do something thinking "any day now...any day now..." and not have any idea of when you'll actually get to the goal. Where is the line between "I haven't been patient enough" and "ok, what I'm going must not be working because I'm not seeing any difference?" I think the people like yourself showing off abs in their picture have the luxury of "being patient" because they already have abs.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious if the "be patient" crowd invested nearly the amount of time/effort as they're expecting other people to. Ab people, let's hear some real numbers to this. How long did it take you?