Help confused

Options
htmyers
htmyers Posts: 5 Member
I am new at all of this. And confused. Lol. I am doing low carb and so far this morning I had two scrambled eggs and a tossed salad. When I checked my progress, it says I am over in my carbs. Why and how ? What am I doing wrong ?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A salad is carbs - because veggies. You could also look at your diary and see where the carbs are. (It's set to private so no one else can look at it and help you)
  • htmyers
    Options
    Celery, lettuce, radishes and tomatoes? If I can't eat that what can I eat ?!?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How low carb are you going?
  • htmyers
    Options
    Carb 10%
    Fat 35%
    Protein 55%

I really have no clue. Do I need to up my numbers ?
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Depends on how low carb you are going. Some veggies have really high carbs. What kind of dressing did you use? You have to be careful about that to.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Low carb means moderate protein and high fat. Keto is that to the extreme. Really, unless you have a medical condition it's unnecessary to eat such low carb as keto. You'll also need to supplement to make sure you're getting in fiber most likely. And keto also has to take in other nutrients to ensure they are metabolizing correctly.

Try eating moderate carbs, moderate fat, and high protein. Be honest with yourself on what you're logging. Check your macros. Drink your water. Get in fiber. Aim for a 1lb a week loss. See where that gets you in a month. Then maybe try lowering your carbs to find where you best fit and what works best for your body?
  • htmyers
    Options
    I have candida and I am trying to elongate carbs and sugar. What are macros?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    htmyers wrote: »

Macros are protein, fat and carbohydrates.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients are the ones listed at the bottom of your food diary. Fat, Protein, Sugar, Carbs. Micronutrients are the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that are in different foods. Do you mean you are trying to eliminate sugar and carbs? Is that really what doctors are saying now? If so, meet steak. bacon, fish, chicken, turkey, shrimp.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Do you mean you are trying to eliminate carbohydrates? That would be virtually impossible to do unless you cut all fruits, vegetables, and grains from your diet. You can go low carbohydrate and still eat some vegetables. What is your carbohydrate goal?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're on 1200 calories and have 30 grams of carbs for the day?

First off, did you use dressing on the salad?

Next, did you enter your veggies correctly? Make sure when you pick entries from the database, you're choosing good ones. When I search for "tomatoes" I get one entry that has 4g of carbs in 100g and another that has 23g of carbs in 126g. One of those is incorrect (hint: it's the second one). Search for the USDA entries - they should be accurate. Also, did you log correct portion sizes?

You should be able to eat the vegetables you mentioned and stay under 30g of carbs. You might look into joining the low-carb group for recipe ideas and tips.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Carb 10%
    Fat 35%
    Protein 55%

Isa really have no clue. Do I need to up my numbers ?

What is your caloric intake? 1200 cals, that would be 30 grams of carbs. that is a lot for a salad, also 55% protein seems high.

May I ask why you are carb? and are you aiming for gross or net carbs that low?
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Does your Dr mean carbs or net carbs? 10% is aweful low. Did you see a dietician? If not I recommend that you do.

I didn't this time but am following what I did when I did go to one. I am low carb because I have pcos and am insulin resistant. My carbs are 25%, some days are better than others but it averages out. My average sugar is about 20g per day. You can't eliminate it entirely, it naturally occurs in fruits and vegetables.
  • htmyers
    Options
    I am avoiding yeast and refined sugars. Should I go in and change things , that if what I originally did or should I just let mfp do the calculations for me ?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am new at all of this. And confused. Lol. I am doing low carb and so far this morning I had two scrambled eggs and a tossed salad. When I checked my progress, it says I am over in my carbs. Why and how ? What am I doing wrong ?
    Celery, lettuce, radishes and tomatoes? If I can't eat that what can I eat ?!?

Jeepers, sounds like you just jumped into this without doing any research to see if it was the best plan for you! Perhaps it would be helpful to go out and get a basic Atkins book/cookbook to see what the plan involves. Also, I think there is a Low carb group on MFP - if you connect with them, I am sure you will get the answers you are looking for. Good luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Join the low carb group. It's full of helpful and experienced members. Make sure and do your research, and then do some more research :wink:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group