Women lifting too heavy?

Options
Hi everyone!
I workout 3-5 days a week with about 30-45 min of cardio and then weights for about 30 min for arms, legs, and back. I don't lift heavy on machines, 30lbs max, sometimes 20. I do 3 sets of 10reps for each machine. I seem to be gaining more muscle in my arms as I would like and my sweaters are fitting tighter on my bicep/triceps. Am I lifting too heavy? Or am I doing this wrong? Can someone help?

Replies

• Bellsforkelly
    Bellsforkelly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say I don't want to gain more muscle! Just want to tone!
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    No.
    And you can't spot reduce.

Can I tone with what I'm doing? Or is there a better way?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" really describes the rep range..."heavy" typically describes a rep range of 1-6 where you're lifting at a high % of your max and is optimal for building strength. You are working in a hypertrophy range which is moderate reps with moderate weight. Also, if you're dieting you aren't going to put on appreciable muscle...if you're actually feeling your clothes getting tighter, etc m guess would be that you're retaining water...it's really hard to put on muscle mass.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    In order to "tone", you'll want to progressively lift heavier than you are and lose weight while you do it. This will help you maintain the muscles you already have, and weight loss will make them show more. Usually that's what I see recommended for a request like yours. It's mostly about weight loss. The only reason to lift is so that you don't lose the muscles you already have as you lose weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    In order to "tone", you'll want to progressively lift heavier than you are and lose weight while you do it. This will help you maintain the muscles you already have, and weight loss will make them show more. Usually that's what I see recommended for a request like yours. It's mostly about weight loss. The only reason to lift is so that you don't lose the muscles you already have as you lose weight.

This^^ And you'll probably have more success if you use a structured lifting program like Stronglifts or Strong Curves.
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're just retaining water in your muscles - not getting super bulky, The muscles may appear larger temporarily but if you're eating at a deficit you can't build super huge muscles.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking what you're eating? If you're not eating at a deficit (or eating at maintenance), you could very well be gaining weight and getting bigger.
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    I do track and stay at a deficit or maintain give or take a weird off day once every 2 weeks.
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    You aren't at a deficit if you are not losing weight (as you mentioned in another thread)

I have stayed between a 300-500 cal deficit consistently and still can't lose weight. I started tracking my macros to see if I was just eating too many high fat foods, and it turns out I was and I wasn't eating enough protein. I started tracking that this week to see if it makes a difference. The only high fat foods I eat consistently are healthy fats such as avocado or evoo and the occasional slip up as I already mentioned.
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    Ok, and that is what I'm currently trying to figure out. Like I mentioned, I stick between 300-500 deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ok, and that is what I'm currently trying to figure out. Like I mentioned, I stick between 300-500 deficit.

The point @singingflutelady is trying to make is that if you are not losing fat over the long term, you are not eating in a deficit. It doesn't matter if you think you are in a deficit. What matters is actually being in one and you do not appear to be in one.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    In the other thread you said you tracked on and off and didn't use a food scale.....
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    In the other thread you said you tracked on and off and didn't use a food scale.....

Correct. I track on and off on this app. I don't own a food scale, but I'm planning to get one. I do however eat the same things every day, so am aware of what the cost is. I don't weigh my food if I go out and I occasionally screw up drinking alcohol with friends. I understand the point you are trying to make, but I'm asking for help, not criticism. Thank you for making me aware I'm not in be deficit I assumed I was. If you just want to point out all the things you think I'm doing wrong without adding any tips to be helpful, why even post?