Women lifting too heavy?

Options

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The food scale can open all our eyes. Weighing my cereal was an eye opener for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In the other thread you said you tracked on and off and didn't use a food scale.....

Correct. I track on and off on this app. I don't own a food scale, but I'm planning to get one. I do however eat the same things every day, so am aware of what the cost is. I don't weigh my food if I go out and I occasionally screw up drinking alcohol with friends. I understand the point you are trying to make, but I'm asking for help, not criticism. Thank you for making me aware I'm not in be deficit I assumed I was. If you just want to point out all the things you think I'm doing wrong without adding any tips to be helpful, why even post?

Why post asking a question if you don't want useful information? It's not criticism to state that you are not in a deficit. We could sit here and blow smoke all day, saying that you're definitely in a deficit and just build muscle really easily but that wouldn't be helpful to you.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say I don't want to gain more muscle! Just want to tone!

Toning is not a verb. You can increase muscle tone (it's an adverb). And when you say you don't want to gain more muscle, WHAT does that mean?
  • Bellsforkelly
    Bellsforkelly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree. I posted for help. I'll make sure to track every day and weigh what I'm eating.
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    I think another factor of all of this is being held accountable for mistakes or bringing light to the things I wasn't aware of originally. My mistake, thanks for the help everyone.
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options
    Forgot to say I don't want to gain more muscle! Just want to tone!

Toning is not a verb. You can increase muscle tone (it's an adverb). And when you say you don't want to gain more muscle, WHAT does that mean?

Thank you-was not aware. Apparently I haven't been educated enough on this as I seem to be asking questions that don't make any sense. I just meant I don't want to be gaining what seemed to be muscle in my arms by using weights, but could very well be a combination of retaining weight and not being in the deficit I thought I was due to not properly tracking and weighing food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    No such thing as lifting too heavy.

You won't gain muscle unless you eat in surplus.

assuming OP is new to lifting she may get some newbie gains...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

assuming OP is new to lifting she may get some newbie gains...

While that's absolutely true, it's difficult for most women to get actual size increases under ideal conditions, and what the OP has described aren't ideal conditions for muscle growth. It's far more likely that she's unintentionally eating more than she thought and isn't in a deficit.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

When you blow your back out, it's too heavy.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    In the other thread you said you tracked on and off and didn't use a food scale.....

Correct. I track on and off on this app. I don't own a food scale, but I'm planning to get one. I do however eat the same things every day, so am aware of what the cost is. I don't weigh my food if I go out and I occasionally screw up drinking alcohol with friends. I understand the point you are trying to make, but I'm asking for help, not criticism. Thank you for making me aware I'm not in be deficit I assumed I was. If you just want to point out all the things you think I'm doing wrong without adding any tips to be helpful, why even post?
    @singingflutelady was trying to help. She's awesome. Tracking consistently and weighing all the food that you eat is a great help. No criticism at all. This type of information is what helped me to lose over 80lbs.

The thing is, since your deficit was so small, not weighing food would easily wipe out that deficit. This happened to me when my food scale broke and I was too lazy to get another for 3 months (yeah, I know...I know...). Once I bought that scale and started to weigh my food, I started losing again. Those with a much larger deficit can get away with not weighing all their food.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    There absolutely is a "too heavy", and that is when you can no longer hold proper form.

It sounds like you are getting consistent exercise. I would really focus on your nutrition. Definitely get a food scale to help you learn portion sizes (that is key to those who have overeaten for awhile). Learn to measure your food, count your calories and try to start eating whole foods over processed stuff.

Keep staying active and slowly increase weight and distance as you can.
  • Bellsforkelly
    Options

@singingflutelady was trying to help. She's awesome. Tracking consistently and weighing all the food that you eat is a great help. No criticism at all. This type of information is what helped me to lose over 80lbs.

The thing is, since your deficit was so small, not weighing food would easily wipe out that deficit. This happened to me when my food scale broke and I was too lazy to get another for 3 months (yeah, I know...I know...). Once I bought that scale and started to weigh my food, I started losing again. Those with a much larger deficit can get away with not weighing all their food.

Thank you, I appreciate that! Very helpful. No one in my years and years of trying to lose has anyone ever expressed the importance of a scale. I have known people to lose jug on a regular calorie counting diet and regular exercise, no food scales. I guess this is something that may open my eyes to how much I actually eat to help me lose. @singingflutelady I apologize for the harsh tone of my last comment. I am new to all of this and it's a sensitive topic for me. I have always been careful with what I eat, but now I need to be careful with how much I am eating. It's frustrating when you eat all of the "right" things and exercise 3-5 days a week for 60-75 min and see NO changes on the scale. I have lost an inch on my waist and my hips in the last 3 months, but the scale hasn't moved more than a pound here and there and then it just comes back it seems as soon as I eat one meal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I see I failed to engage the "joking" font. My bad.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Forgot sarcasm detector too
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Forgot sarcasm detector too

Yep.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Inch loss > scale loss
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You can never lift too heavy(unless at the expense of proper form). and if you're consistently only lifting the exact same weight then you'll stop making progress. You need to try and push for more weight each time, if you're worried about muscle you should lower your rep range to about 5 reps a set to focus more on strength. Also look into an actual lifting routine, it sounds like you're just doing whatever everyday which will lose its value fairly quickly. Id suggest something like strong curves or strong lifts. And yes buy a food scale, I live off of mine.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Can we just take a moment to appreciate an OP who actually accepts constructive input from people who are trying to help?

cool-proud-gif-714.gif

*Fist bump* haha