1200 Calories, Diabetic Diet and not eating all my calories and starving

Options
I'm a borderline diabetic and taking my sugar readings twice a day and trying to keep them low so my doctor won't put me on medicine. So I'm eating VERY FEW carbs and NO SUGAR. The problem I have is I'm not eating all my calories because I am not finding low calorie foods without carbs or sugar. This means I can't eat any fruits. I need some suggestions because I'm really hungry and feeling weak. I need to be successful with this. Thank you in advance for advice.

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor give you carb or sugar levels that he/she wants you to stay under?

Eat more meat and more fat is the only suggestion I can make to increase your cals without your carbs/sugars going up, but many people here have been able to prevent diabetes or keep it under control primarily by losing weight, without special attention on sugars.
  • jnz17
    jnz17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since this could become a more serious medical issue, I really suggest talking to your doctor about what you should eat and having your plans approved. With that said, I think you can address hunger by drinking more water and tea, and make sure your nutrition goals are met via small meals and snacks throughout the day. I've heard this works well for a lot of people who are diabetic, so it's worth a try.
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation but losing weight has gotten my sugars down quite a bit so no meds for me for now . The dietician I saw a few yrs ago told me to go for a walk after every meal if possible . Only a 20 minute walk and at a normal pace not over exerting because you are still digesting your meal . This really made a difference in my readings . It's been almost 6 yrs now I lost about 35 pounds but didn't cut out breads etc just cut back and used whole grains . Check with a dietician for sure .
    Here is a sample menu from The Canadian Diabetes Association . Best of luck .
    http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetes-and-you/healthy-living-resources/diet-nutrition/basic-meal-planning
  • FitDawn4Life
    FitDawn4Life Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am not diabetic and do not fully understand what you must be going through. I would try supplementing with fiber like Swanson Vitamins Organic Psyllium Husk powder and Garden of Life Super Seed Beyond Fiber, also can be ordered through Swanson., but check with your doctor. Fiber fills you up, and since you can't eat fruits it should help. And try to drink at least 3 liters of water but a gallon would be even better. Best wishes.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-organic-certified-organic-psyllium-husk-powder-12-oz-340-grams-pwdr

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/garden-of-life-super-seed-600-grams-pwdr

• sandrafondren
    sandrafondren Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. :)
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    When my husband was diagnosed as diabetic they told him to go with wholegrains in moderation, more veggies than fruit, lean meat, fish etc. My understanding is that pairing your carbs with fibre is a good thing, but I'm not an expert here.
    You really need to seek advice that is specific to you, I suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician who can help you with foods and meal planning to suit your needs.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor you need a chat with a dietician who understands diabetic diets. They can talk food choices with you and how to level things out.

Anything you eat is going to spike your sugar for a while, what times of the day are you checking vs the times you are eating?
  • Misstare
    Misstare Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 Diabetic. My Doctor recommended that I follow the Low Glycemic Diet. It's actually not a diet but a way of life. By eating smaller meals several times throughout the day it helps to balance your blood sugars. I have been off of my Metformin for over 3 years now. I was taking 1000mg per day. Please feel free to add me.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Lots of meat and leafy veggies. My husband is diabetic and he still has some carbs, but about 1/2 servings worth at dinner.

I've been doing another specific diet, no grains or potatoes, so personally, i double-triple up on veggies and meats, and cook with coconut oil or bacon grease to get calories and fats up.
  • nostalgicmeadow
    nostalgicmeadow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic as well, Since diabetes originates in the skeletal muscle of our legs the best strategy to take is to build as much skeletal muscle as you can. I lost a dear loved one from diabetes complications and l am fighting to change my unhealthy lifestyle. I'm female and train to gain strength and am seeing the results of my hard work. The Diabetic dermopathy on my shins is slowly disappearing.

Eat foods to gain muscle mass to support your training and you will see magnificent results; surprisingly you can actually eat more food and the more muscle that l build, the more insulin sensitive l become. I wish you the best
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic as well, Since diabetes originates in the skeletal muscle of our legs the best strategy to take is to build as much skeletal muscle as you can. I lost a dear loved one from diabetes complications and l am fighting to change my unhealthy lifestyle. I'm female and train to gain strength and am seeing the results of my hard work. The Diabetic dermopathy on my shins is slowly disappearing.

Eat foods to gain muscle mass to support your training and you will see magnificent results; surprisingly you can actually eat more food and the more muscle that l build, the more insulin sensitive l become. I wish you the best

Not accurate!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    The problem I have is I'm not eating all my calories because I am not finding low calorie foods without carbs or sugar.

Admittedly, I know nothing about diabetes, but if you can't reach your calorie allowance, why do your food choices have to be low calorie? How about some chicken, nuts, or avocado?

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm a borderline diabetic and taking my sugar readings twice a day and trying to keep them low so my doctor won't put me on medicine. So I'm eating VERY FEW carbs and NO SUGAR. The problem I have is I'm not eating all my calories because I am not finding low calorie foods without carbs or sugar. This means I can't eat any fruits. I need some suggestions because I'm really hungry and feeling weak. I need to be successful with this. Thank you in advance for advice.

Just a thought..........

If you are cutting out carbs then you should be increasing fats. But no, those won't be low calorie. Nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, full fat dairy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Get with a registered dietician to figure out a plan.
    Meanwhile maybe eat more meat, eggs, avocado, oils
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diabeticdiet.html
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you are feeling weak at various times of the day your blood sugar may be dangerously low. Low blood sugar is even more dangerous than high blood sugar. Check your blood sugar more often but no sooner than two hours after a meal.

Eating a little protein and fat with your carb will help it be absorbed slower. So a little peanut butter with your apple, cheese with your cracker, hummus with celery, tuna in a wrap, or egg and a pickle.

Except for overnight don't go more than three hours without eating.

Keep an emergency stash with you. I find a protein bar cut in half is just about perfect.

Not having the BEST choices available is no excuse to stop eating altogether.

If you are going very low carb you must have protein with you at all times.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

What!?!?! Um, no, diabetes (type 2) generally happens because you are overweight.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Get referred to a dietician/nutritionalist by your doctor. You need to eat. What are you eating currently?

I have just started eating LCHF myself and there is a lot of options, meat, veg grown above ground etc I eat a lot of salads, various omelettes, chicken, beef, pork, oily fish, I snack on boiled eggs and fresh spinach, handful of nuts etc

I hope this ties you over till you can get some professional advice. I am honestly not hungry on 1200 cals a day (at 5'2 MFP gives me the lowest limit to loose 0.5-1lbs per week. How I wish I was taller!)

Feel free to add me if you want to chat.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb, and have no problem reaching my calories. I eat eggs, chicken, spinach, salad with feta cheese, gazpacho for dinner, hummus and celery.

You need to see a dietician for education.
  • ofcsfoster36
    ofcsfoster36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been diabetic for a few years now hoping to fix that with some weight loss. Eat your fruits and carbs your body needs it for energy. Stay clear of processed sugars and added sugars. One of the biggest things that help diabetics is activity. Almost everything we eat is turned to sugar in our body. I have had days were I ate nothing but protein and my sugar was still high because I was just sitting around and not burning any of the excess energy. The more active you become the easier it is to control your sugar with your diet.