Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How important is fitness to you?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kev6686 wrote: »
    My question is how highly do you prioritise fitness/gym I'm your life?

When you really think about it, is it something you genuinely love and would put before relationships if it came to the point you had to choose?

I don't love exercise. I don't want to be an athlete or model. I exercise because it is good for me like brushing my teeth. Exercise is 30 minutes to an hour out of my day not hours at a gym every day. I spend almost no money on it.

I have been married 16 years. I have a child. My fitness is not more important than my relationships. I would always choose family. There is time for both though in my life. I choose to do things like walk or play dancing games as a family. Dh has started doing workout videos with me every morning this summer.
    I'd let go of friends though who my interests and lifestyle differed from a lot.

You need to find friends/partners who share your interests or compromise on how much time you spend on it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership so gym gets a priority of zero for me. But fitness is very important to me because health is very important to me.

I've never considered whether I would put relationship before fitness or vice versa. That seems an odd question and concept to me. Both my health/fitness and relationships are simply a part of my life. I can't imagine sacrificing either. I will gladly sacrifice things like cleaning the house for either.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that I should have to sacrifice to get healthy. That line of thinking led me to a lifetime of unhealthy habits and fatness. I never made ME a priority! It was just a month or so ago, a full year into my fitness journey, that I woke up and realized that I'm making myself a priority now.

I guess the biggest relationship that is impacted by my fitness is my relationship with my children. By spending time in the gym, I lose hours with them. However, I feel that my "selfishness" in religiously going to the gym and eating properly for my body and lifestyle goals is an excellent example for them, and the time spent is very worth it.

I think I'm getting to the point where my fitness is second only to (and not put aside for) my career.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My health and wellness, including fitness, are top priority to me. It is the lifestyle I want to live and excel at. Those who have hindered or not supported me have fallen to the wayside by natural differences. People eventually stop calling when you turn down drinking invites. Which was fine by me. I have a completely different group of (overly amazing) friends these days. Over time changes have been made and my entire outlook on many topics has changed. I don't see this as a problem at all. I am better and happier than where I was.
  • rosepedals02
    rosepedals02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fitness is extremely important if you want to live a long and productive life ... The body is made for moving and what you don't move you lose .. So get active people ....
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I just like running. You could call me a endurance addict. :smiley:
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My fitness is a priority, I am a priority. I also have a job, a husband and 3 kids. If i have 'me' time, i choose to spend it under a barbell. But my family is also active. We go on bike rides, hike, swim, canoe. Worse comes to worse I run atound the playground while the big kids play and the little naps in the stroller. We all make time for it.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Health & fitness are both very, very important to me and I make it a very high priority in my life.

I love the way being active makes me feel, it's my therapy/me-time, I enjoy consistently growing by beating personal records and making new ones and most importantly love the results it has given my body on the inside and outside.

Most people in my life are not into health and fitness. However, I have found some ways to incorporate fitness with some people. My guy and I go out for 3 - 4 mile power walks almost every evening of the week which is great not only for exercise, but for bonding too. A buddy I met in a fitness class a few years ago will occasionally meet up to workout together etc.

Other then that I wake up early to get my strength-training in so that it's done for the day. I even find myself doing small things like walking lunges when walking from the front to the back of my house once in a while or squats when putting away clean dishes.

If something important comes up, I will try to move my schedule around or do a shorter, but intense workout to save time, jog in place or do a shorter 2 in 1 strength and cardio workout.

...But I will find a way to get some activity or exercise in unless my body tells me to rest.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Those who have hindered or not supported me have fallen to the wayside by natural differences. People eventually stop calling when you turn down drinking invites. Which was fine by me. I have a completely different group of (overly amazing) friends these days. Over time changes have been made and my entire outlook on many topics has changed. I don't see this as a problem at all. I am better and happier than where I was.

I can relate to this. Great points!
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am new to fitness, and am falling in love with it. I feel better every day, I sleep better, I'm more positive. I think exercise makes me a better person, which makes me a better friend, daughter, sister etc. I have a few friends who I workout with and I love that time together! I'm hoping my next bf will have a love for fitness too. if he doesn't, he better be ok with myself having one!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My question is how highly do you prioritise fitness/gym I'm your life? Super high. I am at the gym 6x per week and on the 6th day I do 2 fitness classes, a cardio and an extended strength training.

When you really think about it, is it something you genuinely love and would put before relationships if it came to the point you had to choose? Absolutely genuinely love. I love the feeling of breaking a sweat, and I love it when my legs get sweaty! That is my benchmark of an excellent workout - sweaty calves :D

A word about putting your fitness above relationships. I am on my 2nd marriage, and during my 1st, made the critical mistake of not focusing on the most important thing in my life (family). There are another 3 dozen reasons why it didn't work out, but not giving those relationships the time and care that they deserved is way up high on the list.

So now, I am almost 50 (!!!!) and have learned that you *have to* cherish the ones that you love. I never, ever put my workouts above time with my husband and kids. This is one major reason why I am at the gym at 5:30am every morning - working out then when those precious individuals are sleeping leaves me free to 100% focus on them in the evenings.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    kev6686 wrote: »
    The further you get into your journey, undoubtedly you invest more time, money, effort...

I found this particularly true when I first got into the groove of taking fitness seriously, once you get your training, diet and sleep in check. You see your goals can become reality.

It's kind of addictive motoring towards your dream physique and naturally something that takes so much commitment, can also leave you guilty of sacrificing relationships, I know I did, I'd turn down dates or meetings with friends to go and throw some weights around. This was mainly due to knowing that with friends or girls I often went way off track with my diet. Or wouldn't train due to hangovers...

My question is how highly do you prioritise fitness/gym I'm your life?

When you really think about it, is it something you genuinely love and would put before relationships if it came to the point you had to choose?

I'm probably reading too much into it, but this seems to inherently cast fitness as something that competes with one's life and relationships, and that's not how it is for me, at all.

My priority in life is more like well-roundedness, these days. That includes doing things I find fun that are active (leading to/involving fitness), and others that are creative, that challenge my brain, that develop and reinforce relationships with other people, and more. Ideally, all these things overlap and reinforce each other. For example, analogous to what lots of other people have said, people from my gym and my rowing club/team are a big part of my social life.

I'm single, childless, an only child, and my parents are deceased. But, if any other relative really needed me, I'd certainly skip workout(s) to address that need. Same for my friends. But more routine upkeep of relationships - the "doing things together, just hanging out" kind of stuff, with relatives/friends who aren't active - fits in just fine around the active parts of my life. Balance, as someone else said.

I'm not trying to be a world class athlete, but I'm quite fit for my age & circumstances. It works out. (NB: I've known some folks who were elite athletes, and they somehow managed to maintain relationships with family & friends, too!)
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Shana 67 - sweaty calves?!?
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant!!
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It isn't everything, but it sure is up there.
    I schedule my life around it and prioritize it.
    I like the structure it gives me that I'm otherwise lacking.
    And being honest, I'm not that great with people so having my social life fall to the wayside doesn't really bother me.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't know what fitness means really. I place a high value on being strong and fast. Fitness is a buzzword.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    pztodd wrote: »
    Shana 67 - sweaty calves?!?

Yes!! Once I feel my legs breaking a sweat, I know I've worked H A R D :D
  • emz_1993
    emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I take it very seriously. I recently decided to give up alcohol to be able to reach my fitness goals faster, and I know for me my social life will suffer a lot. But to me, feeling good in my own skin and being able to run without feeling so heavy is more important than a good night out on the town that I won't even remember.