Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CrossFit

Options
moe0303
moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
Since it's popping up in another thread and we surprisingly don't have a CrossFit thread in this section yet, I figured I'd start one so people could get their crossfit bashing/promoting jollies in. Do you love or hate crossfit? Why? Try not to be *kittens*.

Replies

• moe0303
    Options
    I enjoy it. I started off hating it because of the cult-like following of the people involved, but once I started doing it, I found I really liked the format. Of course, I've had good coaches throughout my whole experience...plus I'm smart enough to govern myself when I feel form starting to slip. I understand it isn't for everybody. I also understand that a lot of people tend to evangelize it. Usually evangelists breed opposite evangelists. Thus we have the crossfit wars. Have fun.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hate crossfit cuz I'm contrarian!! LOL
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    *slow drum beat* you can feel the hostility on both sides stirring......
  • moe0303
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Wouldn't the crossfitters be the contrarians? They seem to be the minority.
  • moe0303
    Options
    afwatson15 wrote: »
    *slow drum beat* you can feel the hostility on both sides stirring......

I know. I'm an instigator.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Wouldn't the crossfitters be the contrarians? They seem to be the minority.

Are they? Whatever they are, I'm the opposite. Im a three toed sloth
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what CrossFit is. Circuit training with cult-like atmosphere? I don't workout in public so I never run across CrossFit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it, and really liked a number of the people I met too. I am currently not doing it, because I don't currently have time for it often enough to justify the cost, but I could see myself doing it again. I was lucky enough that the place that I happened upon near my residence had good instruction and focus on form.
  • moe0303
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't even know what CrossFit is. Circuit training with cult-like atmosphere? I don't workout in public so I never run across CrossFit.

Constantly varied functional movement performed at high intensity.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Constantly varied functional movement performed at high intensity.

Puke fest for me
  • moe0303
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, and really liked a number of the people I met too. I am currently not doing it, because I don't currently have time for it often enough to justify the cost, but I could see myself doing it again. I was lucky enough that the place that I happened upon near my residence had good instruction and focus on form.

The cost is definitely the biggest drawback to me. Then again, it's all open source information, so you could technically do it for free. I think there have been a couple of CF games participants who worked out of their home gyms.

Of course the motivating atmosphere is kind of the biggest benefit.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the competitive nature it has, yet we all cheer each other on. I love the community. I also enjoy a lot of the movements you don't do in a conventional gym. Sure handstands are not essential but its like play for me. I grew up fascinated by gymnastics and Circus de Soleil so to be practicing some handstand push-ups I feel empowered.
  • moe0303
    Options
    Man, I feel weird posting a serious answer after we have three-toed sloths.

Disclaimer: I've never tried it. I'm not opposed to trying it, but my employer pays back 80% of my gym membership fees and wouldn't do that for a CrossFit box. I'm perfectly happy with conventional lifting + running right now.

I like what it's done as far as getting people active. Women who would never have touched weights before see CrossFit champions on the covers of fitness magazines and want to look like them. People new to fitness feel supported and encouraged by the group they work out with. Compound lifts are trendy. There's a focus on overall fitness, so strength, cardio, agility, and power are addressed.

I don't like how common it is for proper form to not be taught. Squats and deadlifts are technical, and injuries happen when instructors throw barbells on people's backs and let them just go for it.
    It's hard for one or two instructors to watch a large group of people and make sure everyone is doing everything safely. These aren't just flaws of CrossFit, though - plenty of gyms have trainers that don't have a clue, and group fitness classes are often too crowded for instructors to ensure proper form. CrossFit takes a beating because it's popular.

Some of the stupid human tricks are weird - is there really a point to walking on your hands? Is that a functional movement I need in real life? Some seem downright dangerous - I think I remember a video where a couple of guys were throwing a loaded barbell back and forth.

I feel yuck about boxes not having A/C (I'm in Texas, that can end badly) and workouts being structured so the technical lifts are at the end instead of the beginning. So unnecessarily dangerous. These things seem box-dependent, though.

Generally, I think it's a good program that gets called out on its flaws disproportionately. There's a lot of good, responsible instructors out there, and there's a lot of people who are getting in shape who would have kept sitting on their butts or listening to Tracy Anderson without CrossFit.
    FWIW, every CF box I have ever been to always teaches propper form for any of the lifts or movements Every class that has them. In other words, if deadlifts are on the schedule, proper form is taught reach and every time. Of course, this is only true of my experience which includes 4 different boxes.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Generally I think that Crossfit has become the whipping boy of the fitness industry.

I do admit that it's funny, but at the same time I think that Crossfit tends to get some things very right even though they also get some things very wrong, IMO.

Random notes:

1) I don't tend to agree with how some things are programmed (or lack of programming perhaps). A bit more structured overload and a LOT less randomness would probably benefit people for strength and hypertrophy.

2) Performing technically complex movements at high levels of fatigue is a good recipe for injury.

3) Certain sub cultures seem to wear injuries like a badge of honor but in fairness that's not a judgement that can extend to all of crossfit.

But what they get right:

a) Social support and community. This is freaking HUUUUUUGE and obviously they do it well, because every crossfitter to ever exist tells you they crossfit. (lol)

b) They are bringing barbell lifting to the mainstream. Another huge plus.

c) They are getting people to train hard using a variety of modalities.

In my opinion crossfit is definitely a huge net-positive, even though I do still make crossfit jokes =)
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think overall crossfit is a good thing because it is promoting fitness.

That said, to be honest, I just cringe when they call their facilities boxes. Maybe that is partly because the local Crossfit organization charges $150/month, though.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Man, I feel weird posting a serious answer after we have three-toed sloths.

Disclaimer: I've never tried it. I'm not opposed to trying it, but my employer pays back 80% of my gym membership fees and wouldn't do that for a CrossFit box. I'm perfectly happy with conventional lifting + running right now.

I like what it's done as far as getting people active. Women who would never have touched weights before see CrossFit champions on the covers of fitness magazines and want to look like them. People new to fitness feel supported and encouraged by the group they work out with. Compound lifts are trendy. There's a focus on overall fitness, so strength, cardio, agility, and power are addressed.

I don't like how common it is for proper form to not be taught. Squats and deadlifts are technical, and injuries happen when instructors throw barbells on people's backs and let them just go for it.
    It's hard for one or two instructors to watch a large group of people and make sure everyone is doing everything safely. These aren't just flaws of CrossFit, though - plenty of gyms have trainers that don't have a clue, and group fitness classes are often too crowded for instructors to ensure proper form. CrossFit takes a beating because it's popular.

Some of the stupid human tricks are weird - is there really a point to walking on your hands? Is that a functional movement I need in real life? Some seem downright dangerous - I think I remember a video where a couple of guys were throwing a loaded barbell back and forth.

I feel yuck about boxes not having A/C (I'm in Texas, that can end badly) and workouts being structured so the technical lifts are at the end instead of the beginning. So unnecessarily dangerous. These things seem box-dependent, though.

Generally, I think it's a good program that gets called out on its flaws disproportionately. There's a lot of good, responsible instructors out there, and there's a lot of people who are getting in shape who would have kept sitting on their butts or listening to Tracy Anderson without CrossFit.
    FWIW, every CF box I have ever been to always teaches propper form for any of the lifts or movements Every class that has them. In other words, if deadlifts are on the schedule, proper form is taught reach and every time. Of course, this is only true of my experience which includes 4 different boxes.

Not my cup of tea, but I am not a hater either. Apparently there are some bad boxes out there though. I recently saw an orthopedist about a neck issue. When I told him I lifted, he asked if I had been doing Crossfit. He said guys my age who first get into Crossfit are always coming in with weird injuries.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I've never been a crossfitter, but some friends have, and seem to benefit. Personally, I strive not to critique others' modes of activity unless I understand them quite well (because a freakin' lot of people think really silly things about mine).

What I think causes some hostility is that some (presumably small) fraction of crossfitters get kind of holier-than-thou and evangelical about it, and get others' backs up by making silly comments about modes of activity they themselves don't understand very well. (Like a small segment of vegans do, on the WOE front; and like that wet-behind-the-ears crossfit kid is doing over on the other thread).

Any/all of that sort of "my tribe is better than your tribe" nonsense kinda puts me off. Those who indulge in it cause trouble for the more sensible people in their home tribe, out in the bigger world.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been going to crossfit classes for a few years and I really enjoy it. I haven't reaped all of the benefits of working out, such as weight loss, but I've lost a lot of fat and have gotten stronger than I could have possibly imagined. Thankfully, I attend a very good box/gym with trainers who are patient, smart, and encouraging. I work out with some of the nicest people I've met. They push me when I am lazy, give me hugs and praise when I do well, and help me stay focused when I have a bad day. I like the format of the workouts. Ive been to a few boxes/gyms and I feel the one I attend is the most organized and challenging.

it's not for everyone, but it works for me! anything that keeps me moving!