Question for people with double digit goal weights

Options

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You can report what you want. I have said nothing wrong. Just because you don't like someones comment does not mean that it was out of line. If the pics are not of you then I am sorry. What are we suppose to think when you have pics that are open to the public but you don't want anyone to comment?
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Q: Why are the other photos on your profile then (i.e. not pictures of you?)

IMHO the girl in the last photo (sat down taking a picture of herself with a mobile,) looks ill!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder of forum rules:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

This is a public forum, so opinions, debate and different perspectives are welcome. There will be opinions you may not like, but that doesn't necessarily constitute an attack. However, please keep it respectful and ON TOPIC at all times.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

ETA: I've removed comments that violate forum rules. Let's get it back on topic.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Q: Why are the other photos on your profile then (i.e. not pictures of you?)

IMHO the girl in the last photo (sat down taking a picture of herself with a mobile,) looks ill!

It is a fashion trend!!!!! That girl has the doll look I want! I put her body instead of face since it is a diet forum so I should at least have one of a body (Plus, I really like her), and the other girls have the hair, makeup, eye-style I want already.

What was the point of your comment...what did you expect to gain by this comment??? Just insulting photos. Bravo.
  • margypan
    margypan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just look up a height/weight chart for the info I quoted. And you can do the same thing you're telling all of us. You asked for our opinions--if you don't want them just disregard them and move onto the next one!

I asked for opinions on calories for people who have goal weights under 100 pounds, NOT opinions on whether they people think I should lose weight or not.

BTW, I looked up a height/weight chart and couldn't find the information you quoted. That is why I asked for the source.

http://healthycholesterollevels.org/height-weight-charts-women-men/

4'9 small frame is 99-108. For a large framed woman of that height it goes up to 128, So the weight range is 99-128. Just responding because you asked. I wish you all the luck in whatever you want to do.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    Can someone please close this thread? Apparently creating this topic was permission for internet bullies to post nasty, unnecessary comments. I am really upset some people were unable to keep their rude thoughts to themselves. Thank you to everyone who has helped me though! I really appreciate the insight, and have learned some new things. :flowerforyou:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Just look up a height/weight chart for the info I quoted. And you can do the same thing you're telling all of us. You asked for our opinions--if you don't want them just disregard them and move onto the next one!

I asked for opinions on calories for people who have goal weights under 100 pounds, NOT opinions on whether they people think I should lose weight or not.

BTW, I looked up a height/weight chart and couldn't find the information you quoted. That is why I asked for the source.

4'9 small frame is 99-108. For a large framed woman of that height it goes up to 128, So the weight range is 99-128. Just responding because you asked. I wish you all the luck in whatever you want to do.

Height and weight charts are VERY general, as is BMI, or any other tool for determining appropriate weight for a wide population. Some people do fine outside the charts, either over or under, because they do not take age and musculature into account, as well as other factors. And, as you get further from "average", the less reliable/accurate they can be.

In general, body fat% is a much better determination of a healthy body.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I read that there is a formula used to calculate the number of calories someone needs to both lose and maintain weight:

To lose: Weight x 12

To maintain: Weight x 15

Once you get down to 100, by this formula you need less than 1,200 calories to continue losing weight.

I have tried a few more formulas I found posted on MFP, and every formula I have tried has said that less than 1,200 calories is needed.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you and please no mean comments. I for one am 4'9", and at 107 pounds (current weight) my bmi is barely normal (basically overweight)!

Actually what I've heard is 12 calories per pound for men, and 11 calories per pound for women to maintain. Let's say for example that you wanted to weigh 90lbs. You would need to NET 990 calories a day after including all food sources, and subtracting all exercise to maintain 90lbs. If you weighed more than 90lbs, then your body would naturally begin to drop weight until you leveled out at 90lbs by netting approximately 7000 calories a week.

So, for example, if you ate 1200 calories a day (or 8400 calories a week), you would need to average 200 calories a day worth of exercise to maintain 90lbs.

Now - to determine whether or not your goal is realistic, I would *highly* recommend that you avoid standards like BMI and look at body fat percentage. Normal women average 22-32% body fat. Athletic women may be down in the teens, but that should be because you have a higher level of muscle, not because you are starving yourself. (ie - you would weigh MORE than average, but have a low body fat % because of the increased muscle created by strenuous exercise). Pick a body fat percentage you are comfortable with, and work towards that. It's a much healthier goal than weight, which is ambiguous.

And I'm 4'11.25 so I know where you're coming from, though. I currently weigh about 155 lbs. This weight includes about 20lbs of excess skin, from massive weight loss. I plan to have that removed surgically at some point. Doctors estimated a goal weight for me of approximately 118lbs after all plastic surgery is complete, but I do have small bones. I can wear childrens shoes. I ride a motorcycle and the only reason I went from an XS to a Small helmet was to make sure I room for electronics in the padding. (I added a bluetooth adaptor for my phone/Ipod.)
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is: 24.2
    Target weight range: 85.5 - 115.5 lbs
    YOU 24.2
    Under Healthy Over Obese
    B.M.I.
    Body Mass Index less - 18.5 18.5 - 25.0 25.0 - 30.0 30.0 - more

Weight Range
    RECALCULATE BMI

Hi, this is the chart from the BMI on MFP , i hope this helps.
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Completely unrelated to your original question - as it seems to have derailed.... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

I just want everyone on this website to remember that we are all adults who are able to make decisions about ourselves. If we ask for help on a subject, then just offer help on that topic instead of thinking that you know more about what someone else, a total stranger, needs you to tell them.

Why is it when someone says their goal weight is still in the overweight range nobody feels the need to lecture them, yet people feel compelled to lecture someone who only has a little weight loss left to go?

We can have pics of whoever and whatever (as long as they are not obscene) on our page. You don't know why a particular picture is there, I've got a picture of my chicken just so I could show another MFP friend - doesn't mean I have any seedy intentions with that chicken.

If the people on here who criticize others know so much, then why are they needing to use this site themselves, surely they have got their lives so together that they could possible have any weight issues!

Anyhoo, I just wanted to offer some moral support to i_love-vinegar. I'll get off my soapbox now, sorry I hijacked your topic, I was just getting so frustrated reading through all the personal views to find a reasonable answer as I have a friend who is in the same teeny tiny shorty situation as you!

Good luck :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    Completely unrelated to your original question - as it seems to have derailed.... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

I just want everyone on this website to remember that we are all adults who are able to make decisions about ourselves. If we ask for help on a subject, then just offer help on that topic instead of thinking that you know more about what someone else, a total stranger, needs you to tell them.

Why is it when someone says their goal weight is still in the overweight range nobody feels the need to lecture them, yet people feel compelled to lecture someone who only has a little weight loss left to go?

We can have pics of whoever and whatever (as long as they are not obscene) on our page. You don't know why a particular picture is there, I've got a picture of my chicken just so I could show another MFP friend - doesn't mean I have any seedy intentions with that chicken.

If the people on here who criticize others know so much, then why are they needing to use this site themselves, surely they have got their lives so together that they could possible have any weight issues!

Anyhoo, I just wanted to offer some moral support to i_love-vinegar. I'll get off my soapbox now, sorry I hijacked your topic, I was just getting so frustrated reading through all the personal views to find a reasonable answer as I have a friend who is in the same teeny tiny shorty situation as you!

Good luck :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Thank you! :blushing: I felt so bad because of the mean comments. I don't want to post a photo just to prove these mean people I actually do have weight to lose. I really appreciate your comment, especially since I have had this happen numerous times on a lesser scale and it feels really good to have support, which is why I am here. ^.^ I have never in my life been accused of being underweight or having an ed until I came to this site. :grumble: Thank you again for cheering me up!!! :flowerforyou:
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I read that there is a formula used to calculate the number of calories someone needs to both lose and maintain weight:

To lose: Weight x 12

To maintain: Weight x 15

Once you get down to 100, by this formula you need less than 1,200 calories to continue losing weight.

I have tried a few more formulas I found posted on MFP, and every formula I have tried has said that less than 1,200 calories is needed.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you and please no mean comments. I for one am 4'9", and at 107 pounds (current weight) my bmi is barely normal (basically overweight)!

Actually what I've heard is 12 calories per pound for men, and 11 calories per pound for women to maintain. Let's say for example that you wanted to weigh 90lbs. You would need to NET 990 calories a day after including all food sources, and subtracting all exercise to maintain 90lbs. If you weighed more than 90lbs, then your body would naturally begin to drop weight until you leveled out at 90lbs by netting approximately 7000 calories a week.

So, for example, if you ate 1200 calories a day (or 8400 calories a week), you would need to average 200 calories a day worth of exercise to maintain 90lbs.

Now - to determine whether or not your goal is realistic, I would *highly* recommend that you avoid standards like BMI and look at body fat percentage. Normal women average 22-32% body fat. Athletic women may be down in the teens, but that should be because you have a higher level of muscle, not because you are starving yourself. (ie - you would weigh MORE than average, but have a low body fat % because of the increased muscle created by strenuous exercise). Pick a body fat percentage you are comfortable with, and work towards that. It's a much healthier goal than weight, which is ambiguous.

And I'm 4'11.25 so I know where you're coming from, though. I currently weigh about 155 lbs. This weight includes about 20lbs of excess skin, from massive weight loss. I plan to have that removed surgically at some point. Doctors estimated a goal weight for me of approximately 118lbs after all plastic surgery is complete, but I do have small bones. I can wear childrens shoes. I ride a motorcycle and the only reason I went from an XS to a Small helmet was to make sure I room for electronics in the padding. (I added a bluetooth adaptor for my phone/Ipod.)

Thank you so much for your kind and very informative/relatable response! I really appreciate that you helped clear this up for me, as did a few other people :) I am feeling much more secure in my thinking for this diet now! Thank you again and Good luck!
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Can I just point out that the BMR formulated on this website includes the estimated calories burned through your choice of lifestyle ie. sedentary which for a "petite" person would perhaps be 150-200 or so (complete guess as i'm 5ft10) the less bodyweight you carry the less calories you burn by moving it around.
    MFP has told me that to lose 2lbs a week I should eat 1200 cals a day when my BMR is 1647 - in order to lose weight you should be eating less than your BMR as you must burn more than you consume in order to lose the weight. )This calorie deficit has been approved by my doctor.)
    But obviously at 4'9" with a BMR of 1094 don't do a huge calorie deficit - 919 sounds about right but just make sure that if you do any extra exercise you eat back most of your exercise calories as you body will struggle to function with a NET calories (calories eaten - extra calories burnt) of less than about 900.

Please check all this with your doctor if you're planning on doing a calorie deficit for a significant amount of time,
    Also, I may have 52lbs to lose but I was still wearing a UK 12-14 at my heaviest (US 8-10) so I don't exactly look my weight - although 18months ago I was 130lbs rather than 199 (my heaviest) and wearing 10-12 (6-8 US). My body fat % is 21% which for a female is supposedly not too far off where it should be - so I apparently don't have too much fat stored away.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Can I just point out that the BMR formulated on this website includes the estimated calories burned through your choice of lifestyle ie. sedentary which for a "petite" person would perhaps be 150-200 or so (complete guess as i'm 5ft10) the less bodyweight you carry the less calories you burn by moving it around.
    MFP has told me that to lose 2lbs a week I should eat 1200 cals a day when my BMR is 1647 - in order to lose weight you should be eating less than your BMR as you must burn more than you consume in order to lose the weight. )This calorie deficit has been approved by my doctor.)
    But obviously at 4'9" with a BMR of 1094 don't do a huge calorie deficit - 919 sounds about right but just make sure that if you do any extra exercise you eat back most of your exercise calories as you body will struggle to function with a NET calories (calories eaten - extra calories burnt) of less than about 900.

Please check all this with your doctor if you're planning on doing a calorie deficit for a significant amount of time,
    Also, I may have 52lbs to lose but I was still wearing a UK 12-14 at my heaviest (US 8-10) so I don't exactly look my weight - although 18months ago I was 130lbs rather than 199 (my heaviest) and wearing 10-12 (6-8 US). My body fat % is 21% which for a female is supposedly not too far off where it should be - so I apparently don't have too much fat stored away.

This is incorrect. BMR calculations do NOT include calories burned in ANY activity. BMR is basal metabolic rate, what you would burn for basic function, as if in a coma. Daily Activity Level is a separate calculation added to BMR. You can see BMR calculation under Tools. Then, go to Goals and you'll see, under Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity, your maintenance calories, which is BMR + Daily Activity Level. This does not include purposeful exercise.

You should NOT eat significantly less than BMR. Your deficit should always come from maintenance calories or TDEE (total daily energy expenditure.)

Also, just a note - if your body fat% is 21%, there is physically no possible way to lose 30 lbs. One of those numbers is off. And if your doctor approved that deficit, I would seek a new doctor or ask him/her to refer you to a dietitian. Most general practitioners have little to no education in nutrition, and they should not be advising you to eat more than 400 cals below BMR. It is simply unhealthy (going by either 30 lbs to lose or 21% BF.)
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Thank you. I think a lot of people don't seem to understand how short 4'9" really is....
    [/quote]

My sister if 5'1", she hardly ever eats. Only when she's hungry! So I say, for one day only eat when you're hungry and log your food, see what the calories come out to. Just as a test.

I'm 5'6" & eat around 700 calories. I'm not going to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry. And 700-800 is usually what keeps me full.
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sorry just going on what I have been told, re-read my post and I thought I had mentioned that that was what I had been told. Thanks for correcting this, wouldn't want to spread wrong information.

And again, I was 130lbs and healthy 18months ago so there is definately scope to lose that 30lbs again which would put me at 147lbs (not trying to get back to 130lbs as I think that's unachievable and I would be just as happy at 147).
    Should have said dietician rather than doctor (diabetes consultant meeting with a doctor and dietician) having approved my calorie deficit.
    And it is possible the 21% body fat is wrong as it was just done through taking measurements in comparison to height and weight rather than callipers.
    Although I am quite muscular and a healthy body fat % for an athletic stature would be in the mid to high teens.
    Plus, 30lbs off a 5ft10 woman is very different to 30lbs off a rather petite figure!

Again apologising for spreading wrong information - but I will stick to my calorie deficit as it has been approved by proffesionals.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

as long as she stays above 87lb she wouldnt be underweight. Some people just like to skinnybash for the fun of it im sure, and make stuff up as they go along
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    At 4'9" I think you are fine in wanting to weigh in the double digits and I also think you probably will need to eat under 1200 to lose. That said, I am NOT a doctor. Check in with your doctor if you want ironclad answers, lol. I know at 5'3" the MOST I can eat to maintain 140 is 1800 and I can't eat that every day. I average around 1400 calories a day if I am on maintenance and I lose on 1000-1200 calories a day with an occasional higher day to keep my metabolism revved up.

I am not going to jump on the bandwagon and assume you have an eating disorder or that you are "just fine" at 107. I did look up a couple of articles for you and will post them here.

I would say go ahead and eat 1200 calories for a week. Log it and see where you go weight wise, then try stepping down 100 calories. If you don't lose or you maintain at 1100 then I would go the opposite direction first and try 1300 before I tried 1000. I can lose quite well on 1000 calories but only for a few weeks, then I have to mix things up and zig zag to keep losing.

http://www.mylifestylediet.com/blog/diet-supplements/how-many-calories-do-you-need/

this calculator gives 98.5 as the right weight for your height.
    http://www.anycalculator.com/nutritional.htm