Does it really matter what you eat?

Options

Replies

• bhanvi
    bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    bhanvi wrote: »
    Depends on what your goal is. If its only to loose weight you can eat Mc Donalds everyday at a deficit, if its to get healthy along with losing weight then you are better off with fruits and veggies.

What if I eat fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, dairy AND McDonalds and still stay in my deficit...

Why does everything always have to be extremes one way or another?

I was giving an example of specifically extreme points to explain it to OP. Obviously. :)
  • Rebekah_89
    Rebekah_89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, burning more calories than you consume will cause weight loss. For optimal health, most people would suggest a diet that provides the essentials.

Okay so I've been hearing CICO is the way to go. So let me better understand this; if my calorie goal everyday is 1200 calories, I have to burn more than 1200 calories in order to lose weight???? That is a bit silly. I see that most people don't really burn more than 700 calories on a regular basis when they log in their exercises for the day, even the most fit people who are "exercise crazy". So how can someone burn more than they consume everyday?
  • healthyfitme12
    healthyfitme12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes and no I was able to lose 20 pounds by portion control, not everything I ate was considered "healthy" but I still managed to lose the weight (with no exercise). I wouldn't recommend it, now that I lost the weight I am leaning more toward eating the proper foods with exercise. I want to be healthy inside and out and not eating the proper foods comes with it's own consequences. Hope this helps
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, burning more calories than you consume will cause weight loss. For optimal health, most people would suggest a diet that provides the essentials.

Okay so I've been hearing CICO is the way to go. So let me better understand this; if my calorie goal everyday is 1200 calories, I have to burn more than 1200 calories in order to lose weight???? That is a bit silly. I see that most people don't really burn more than 700 calories on a regular basis when they log in their exercises for the day, even the most fit people who are "exercise crazy". So how can someone burn more than they consume everyday?

That isn't how it works. At all.

You burn calories just by being alive. Your heart is pumping, your muscles are repairing themselves, cells are regenerating, your stomach is digesting, your intestines are absorbing... Your body is a workhorse. Do you think it can do all of those things without any energy? Of course not.

Depending on your age, gender, size, and several other factors EXCLUDING exercise... You will burn a set number of calories in a day. This is called your BMR, or your basal metabolic rate. Added to this base number is your activity level, which comes from both purposeful exercise and just regular everyday movement (NEAT) and also a small extra called TEF, which refers to the amount of energy used in digesting the food you eat. The total is your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. MOST of the calories that the average person will burn in a day comes from their BMR, not from that thirty minutes on the stationary bike or so on.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

You could not exercise at all and still lose weight on 1200 calories. Your body is burning calories all the time just doing the things it needs to do to stay alive. This is your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Then it burns more calories digesting food (TEF) and it burns calories when you're walking from your car to your office, cooking dinner, cleaning house (NEAT). Total all of these things up, THEN add exercise for your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). You have to be eat below your TDEE to lose weight.

When you set up MFP, it estimates how many calories you burn before exercise based of your height, weight, and age. Then you tell it how much you want to lose; if you pick 1 lb per week, it will subtract 500 calories from your daily total. If it told you to eat 1300, your energy expenditure before exercise (BMR + TEF + NEAT) would be 1800. Then when you exercise, you eat those calories back because your deficit is already accounted for.

1200 is the lowest MFP will give you because it's extremely hard to get adequate nutrition on lower calories. Your BMR + TEF + NEAT might be lower than 1700 if MFP gives you 1200 calories for 1lb/week loss. But unless you're an outlier due to size or a medical condition, you will burn more than 1200 calories just living, and you will lose weight eating 1200 calories a day.

Oops. You beat me. ;)
  • Rebekah_89
    Options

You could not exercise at all and still lose weight on 1200 calories. Your body is burning calories all the time just doing the things it needs to do to stay alive. This is your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Then it burns more calories digesting food (TEF) and it burns calories when you're walking from your car to your office, cooking dinner, cleaning house (NEAT). Total all of these things up, THEN add exercise for your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). You have to be eat below your TDEE to lose weight.

When you set up MFP, it estimates how many calories you burn before exercise based of your height, weight, and age. Then you tell it how much you want to lose; if you pick 1 lb per week, it will subtract 500 calories from your daily total. If it told you to eat 1300, your energy expenditure before exercise (BMR + TEF + NEAT) would be 1800. Then when you exercise, you eat those calories back because your deficit is already accounted for.

1200 is the lowest MFP will give you because it's extremely hard to get adequate nutrition on lower calories. Your BMR + TEF + NEAT might be lower than 1700 if MFP gives you 1200 calories for 1lb/week loss. But unless you're an outlier due to size or a medical condition, you will burn more than 1200 calories just living, and you will lose weight eating 1200 calories a day.

Thank you so very much for that description/advice. That really helped me! And thank you for taking the time out to write all that! You're so nice :-)
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    some calories are more packed with nutrition than others. so some cals are healthier cals....my body always reflects the diff. if I eat junk my skin Is dull and I bloat etc etc.

a calorie is a unit of energy, so not sure what you mean ...
    Ndj1979 probably means that 500 calories of vegetables would be better for you than 500 calories of french fries, and have more nutritional value. Both would lead to losing weight if you eat them and maintain a deficit. Both would not be good for you, even with a calorie being a calorie. I'm the same way, i have been in a deficit eating both healthy food and junk, and physically feel better on healthy food, or at least a combination of both.
  • keithahayes78
    keithahayes78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is just about calorie deficit. Body composition is about what you're eating. You'll look better after the weight loss if you eat a healthier diet. If your not eating clean but your in a deficit you will lose weight, but your look will be what I would refer to as skinny fat. Depends on your goals. I started losing weight 2 months ago (April 16th) because I wanted to be healthier. I decided to eat better foods and be in deficit. I have lost 45-50 lbs since then and my body looks completely different. Last time I saw my abs before now I was probably 18 years old. I'm 38 now and look better than most of my daughters friends who are almost half my age. Two months ago I just had a bloated dad body. What you eat matters depending on whether your goal is a number on a scale, being more fit, or attaining a certain physique. You should adjust your macros depending on your personal goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is just about calorie deficit. Body composition is about what you're eating. You'll look better after the weight loss if you eat a healthier diet. If your not eating clean but your in a deficit you will lose weight, but your look will be what I would refer to as skinny fat. Depends on your goals. I started losing weight 2 months ago (April 16th) because I wanted to be healthier. I decided to eat better foods and be in deficit. I have lost 45-50 lbs since then and my body looks completely different. Last time I saw my abs before now I was probably 18 years old. I'm 38 now and look better than most of my daughters friends who are almost half my age. Two months ago I just had a bloated dad body. What you eat matters depending on whether your goal is a number on a scale, being more fit, or attaining a certain physique. You should adjust your macros depending on your personal goals.

Eating "clean" is subjective as it means something different to everyone. It is by no means required to achieve a particular body aesthetic, just ask @hornsby or @ndj1979 .

That's not to say that what you eat doesn't matter at all, eating a variety of nutrient dense foods is good, but not eating clean doesn't doom a person to being "skinny fat".
  • Rebekah_89
    Options

You lost 45-50lbs in just 2 months??? WOW!!! What did you do?? lol
  • VaneZL
    VaneZL Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Calories are important, but what u eat will make the differences for having a healthy lifestyle. I think is 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% of protein. In MFP u can see approximately the percentage of nutrition of every food. Good luck!
    I'm looking for active people, feel free to add me :blush:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    rickc74 wrote: »
    some calories are more packed with nutrition than others. so some cals are healthier cals....my body always reflects the diff. if I eat junk my skin Is dull and I bloat etc etc.

Ndj1979 probably means that 500 calories of vegetables would be better for you than 500 calories of french fries, and have more nutritional value. Both would lead to losing weight if you eat them and maintain a deficit. Both would not be good for you, even with a calorie being a calorie. I'm the same way, i have been in a deficit eating both healthy food and junk, and physically feel better on healthy food, or at least a combination of both.

no, I mean a calorie is a unit of energy, not a unit of nutrition.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yes CICO works every time but eating the right kinds of food is still important. You can still lose all the weight in the world and be horribly malnourished because you are focusing 100% on calories and not on what you're eating.

CICO contributes to weightloss only....not other factors

Agreed 100%. Think about empty calories. You could even lose weight eating nothing but chocolate if you keep your calories under your goals. But you'd be hungry all the time and your internal organs and natural digestive processes would suffer terribly. Do you have to eat vegetables and drink water? Nope. But you should. Keep your daily carb/protein/fat/etc. within your macros and you'll not only lose weight but you'll do so in a healthy manner. If you want to have a day where you eat some ice cream or pie or some other food then so be it.. adjust everything else to make room, just don't do it every single day at the expense of nutrition.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yes CICO works every time but eating the right kinds of food is still important. You can still lose all the weight in the world and be horribly malnourished because you are focusing 100% on calories and not on what you're eating.

CICO contributes to weightloss only....not other factors

Agreed 100%. Think about empty calories. You could even lose weight eating nothing but chocolate if you keep your calories under your goals. But you'd be hungry all the time and your internal organs and natural digestive processes would suffer terribly. Do you have to eat vegetables and drink water? Nope. But you should. Keep your daily carb/protein/fat/etc. within your macros and you'll not only lose weight but you'll do so in a healthy manner. If you want to have a day where you eat some ice cream or pie or some other food then so be it.. adjust everything else to make room, just don't do it every single day at the expense of nutrition.

who is this mythical person recommending a diet of 100% chocolate?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    They used gloves to make my Reuben sandwich and curly fries at Arby's for lunch yesterday. Clean enough for me :)

Wait - Arby's makes Reubens? How did I not know this? I guess I'll have to give Arby's another shot. That said, I'm preparing for disappointment. Fast-food Reuben?
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Right. I'm with you. But we can get our fill of those units of energy from foods that are good for us, or from foods that are bad for us. I can run a calorie deficit eating nothing but McNuggets, but I won't look or feel as good as I would if I hit the same deficit from healthier foods like lean meats and vegetables. Obviously, the calories themselves aren't more or less nutritious - but the foods that deliver them to us certainly are. I believe that is the point that ndj1979 was going for.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Right. I'm with you. But we can get our fill of those units of energy from foods that are good for us, or from foods that are bad for us. I can run a calorie deficit eating nothing but McNuggets, but I won't look or feel as good as I would if I hit the same deficit from healthier foods like lean meats and vegetables. Obviously, the calories themselves aren't more or less nutritious - but the foods that deliver them to us certainly are. I believe that is the point that ndj1979 was going for.

Please note that in the one example, you give one food - McNuggets.

In your comparative example, you used two groups of foods - lean meats and vegetables.

Change your second example to one particular food. Both diets - being exclusive - will lack nutrients.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nuggets aren't bad for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!