Something about diet / fitness you wish you'd known beforehand?

Options
2»

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Accepting that losing weight, for me, is far more challenging mentally than it ever will be physically
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to macros. That no food should be off limits for a lifetime and that flexible dieting works.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I wish I'd known earlier that healthy food doesn't mean boring, dry and tasteless, and that losing and maintaining weight isn't that hard/difficult, because healthy food doesn't mean boring, dry and tasteless.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had to come to the realization that my perception of portion sizes were way off track, and that if I wanted to lose weight, I had to weigh, measure, and come to terms with that. It is no lie when they say you eat with your eyes, and my eyes used to tell me that what I weighed wasn't enough. I eat well, and I am still losing weight and not feeling deprived.
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That the really important thing is how much I eat in the next 7 months not the next 7 days.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I wish I had found about counting calories as a weightloss "method" earlier. I had always thought of losing weight being a nasty yo-yo cycle. Restrict severely and live on salad (RIP Pizza) and then a couple weeks/months later gain it all back - rinse & repeat.

I had stubbornly refused to acknowledge the weight that has slowly crept on since getting a full-time desk job. I was NOT going to go through the yo-yoing so many others had. Then I found MFP and learnt about calories and how to count them to lose weight. It clicked and 12kgs later i'm still going & happy!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known that weight loss really just came from a calorie deficit. Calories in calories out.
    There's no reason for any gimmick or fad diets. Just eat less then you burn. No need to torture yourself with the newest dieting craze
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known that lifting heavy would give me the body and confidence I was always striving for
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew "perfect form" is a myth. I wasted too much time researching perfect form for lifting and spent too much time feeling intimidated by the notion of perfect form that I stayed out of the gym - when I could have been learning and practicing GOOD FORM.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    That I wasn't lazy and lacking willpower to exercise, my body simply needed more carbs in order for me to 'want' to exercise. And that paleo would be a complete waste of my time and horrible for me.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    That what I eat has a direct impact on how much I eat.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    that its so much easier than i thought.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd known it was possible to use a food diary, a food database, and a trustworthy source of food data, namely, https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd known that I love exercise and that it was my wonky brain lying to me that caused me to stop the second I stepped out of the dance studio for the last time. Who knows what might have happened in the last ten years if it weren't for that but oh well.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    It's a habit for life you need to ease into.