June (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Out the door at 5:30 this morning for 7 miles. I modified my planned route because mile 5 I was feeling like the tank was empty. All the sweat and no food, I was bottomed out. The plan was to start and end with a flat mile with all hills in the middle. I just couldn't do another round of the hills so I ended with 2 flat miles instead. I'll have to tackle that again, on a cooler day and maybe some breakfast in me. It was 75 at 5:30am :-/ and high humidity of course.

Sounds like you did more than enough, considering the weather and all. Great Job!

Yes, enough. Funny thing is my last 2 miles I got faster and faster so I guess I had more left in me than I thought. Lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Yes, enough. Funny thing is my last 2 miles I got faster and faster so I guess I had more left in me than I thought. Lol

I always seem to get faster the last couple miles also....maybe it's something about the sooner I get the miles in, the sooner the suffering stops????
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    I've been out of the loop for nearly a week, I've been having a bit of a sucky time and have been feeling really washed out, as if I just have no energy whatsoever. I felt equally weak today, but convinced myself that actually I have just been being lazy and that I should go for a run anyway because I would feel better after. I should not have, as I ended up feeling dizzy and sick, which is now the third run in 2 weeks that has left me feeling like that. I need to get to the bottom of this and find out what on earth is going on in my body, I'm so fed up of constantly feeling dizzy and generally very 'fragile. I can't really explain it any more than that, and it isn't just running either, as I generally feel rubbish the rest of the time too.

Anyway, goal has gone out of the window. I just need to keep getting out there for the next few days and try to work out what I need to do for this strange bout of whatever-it-is to subside.

I just kept telling myself as I forced myself to slowly run home that there can't be much better preparation for the mental battle that will lie ahead in the last few miles of the marathon next year!

I did sit and read all 236 posts I have missed this afternoon though, but can't begin to post any responses. Sorry!

2nd June - 3.53 miles
    4th June - 3.41 miles
    5th June - 7.12 miles
    7th June - 3.33 miles
    9th June - unplanned rest day (non-running related injury)
    11th June - 3.56 miles 5km PB 26:09
    13th June - 8.52 miles
    15th June - 4.08 miles
    17th June - 3.04 miles
    19th June - 6.06 miles
    21st June - 6.04 miles
    26th June - 4.01 miles

MTD - 51.70/80 miles (not that I'm even contemplating this right now!)

Upcoming races:
    18th Sept - Run Reigate Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited June 2016
    6mi easy run @ 9:50/mi with 1% grade added every mile. 1-6%. Let's just say I was dying at 6% haha.

47.1mi this week. Not bad considering I'm just messing around. Not really trying. Only 1 medium tempo. The rest easy.
  • MNLittleFinn
    @louubelle16 I hope you can get that dizziness sorted out soon! Welcome back!
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Been too busy to check in or post anything for the past few days...so I missed 227 new posts! You all are still amazing.

I did get in a gummy 4 miles after some much needed rain on Thursday morning, and a slightly muggy 10 miles yesterday. I'm on pace to hit my monthly goal dead on.

I can't wait for my next run, though...I finally got along to stopping in at the Colorado Running Co. for a gait analysis and a new pair of running shoes. I came away with a new pair of Saucony Ride 9's. I've been wearing Sauconys for a long time, so it's not a huge change, but for the little bit of running I did around the building they felt great.

'Til next time....happy running!

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @louubelle16 I hope you figure out what's going on. It sounds like it would be worth a visit to the doctor for some blood work. Any chance you could be pregnant?
  • MNLittleFinn
    New Taper symptom for me...I was folding socks and realized that I have a "serious" dilema about socks. Wear my extremely light weight, and therefore cooler Asics, or my heavier Brooks that are more comfortable as far as feel and cushion, but will definitely be hotter.....LOL....Race Day can't come soon enough
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    I've been out of the loop for nearly a week, I've been having a bit of a sucky time and have been feeling really washed out, as if I just have no energy whatsoever. I felt equally weak today, but convinced myself that actually I have just been being lazy and that I should go for a run anyway because I would feel better after. I should not have, as I ended up feeling dizzy and sick, which is now the third run in 2 weeks that has left me feeling like that. I need to get to the bottom of this and find out what on earth is going on in my body, I'm so fed up of constantly feeling dizzy and generally very 'fragile. I can't really explain it any more than that, and it isn't just running either, as I generally feel rubbish the rest of the time too.

That's how I was feeling shortly before I was diagnosed with some significant anemia. I was also feeling winded even just doing light stuff around the house and struggling to get a "deep breath" even when still (basically, my body wasn't satisfied with the oxygen it was getting, because it wasn't near enough). Have you had blood work recently to rule out anemia?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited June 2016
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @louubelle16 I hope you figure out what's going on. It sounds like it would be worth a visit to the doctor for some blood work. Any chance you could be pregnant?

Hahahahahahaha, no :lol:

I went to the doctors about a month ago about the fact that I've been constantly ill for the last year, which is extremely unlike me - before this last 9-12 months, I hadn't taken a day off work/university for illness since I was 13. He said I could go for some blood tests but that I have to be feeling well and have been well for at least 2 weeks to have them done, otherwise they will be skewed. I haven't felt well enough yet to go, which is useless really :neutral:

Thanks @MNLittleFinn, I hope so too!
  • Net1968
    Net1968 Posts: 47 Member
    1st. 3
    1st. 6
    3rd. 3
    3rd. 4
    4th. 5
    6th. 4
    8th. 4
    10th. 3
    11th. 5
    13th. 4
    15th. 4
    19th. 10
    20th. 4
    22nd. 4
    24th. 4
    25th. 5 (ParkRun)
    26th. 5 (Race For Life)

Total 77km

19th Mersey Tunnel Run Done!
    26th Race For Life Done!
    5th July Local Hospice Colour Run

My number 2 daughter graduated C25K today at our local Race For Life so proud!

Happy running
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member

exercise.png

I did 2 miles only yesterday and 3.7 miles today.
    I wanted to run more but it was just too warm for me and I felt like I wasn't able to do the best that I could, so I walked for the last mile.
    I have 13 miles left. I believe that if I really try the next 4 days I can make the goal ^_^
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Eh, some good deals. Found a smartwool tank I could afford.

http://gearup.active.com/mobile/Events.aspx
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    ------
    June  1    5.1       5.1  
    June  2    5.6      10.7  
    June  4    5.8      16.5 
    June  5    4.2      20.7 
    June  7    4.2      24.9 
    June  9    5.1      30.0
    June 10    4.3      34.3
    June 11   13.2      47.5
    June 12    3.7      51.2
    June 15    5.6      56.8
    June 18   10.2      67.0
    June 19    5.1      72.1
    June 22    4.3      76.4
    June 23    4.3      80.7
    June 25    5.6      86.3
    June 26    5.8      92.1

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree

I always seem to get faster the last couple miles also....maybe it's something about the sooner I get the miles in, the sooner the suffering stops????

LOL yes, I do this too. I generally run negative splits but that 5th mile was nasty and I didn't expect to recoup.
  • greenolivetree

Anyway, goal has gone out of the window. I just need to keep getting out there for the next few days and try to work out what I need to do for this strange bout of whatever-it-is to subside.

I just kept telling myself as I forced myself to slowly run home that there can't be much better preparation for the mental battle that will lie ahead in the last few miles of the marathon next year!

I did sit and read all 236 posts I have missed this afternoon though, but can't begin to post any responses. Sorry!

Sorry you aren't feeling well :(
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – rest day
    6/2 – 6.11 easy
    6/3 – rest day
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with hills
    6/5 – 7.42 easy
    6/6 – rest day
    6/7 – 8.56 easy
    6/8 – rest day
    6/9 – 8.01 easy
    6/10 – rest day
    6/11 – 10.09 with hills and humidity
    6/12 – 6.21 easy with 1 stride
    6/13 – rest day
    6/14 – run squeezed out of schedule
    6/15 – rest day 7.00 group run
    6/16 – 4.02 in 3 pieces
    6/17 – rest day
    6/18 – 4.83 aborted pace run
    6/19 – 8.27 hot and humid
    6/20 – rest day
    6/21 – 7.18 warmup, speed work, cool down
    6/22 – rest day
    6/23 – 9.46 easy
    6/24 – rest day
    6/25 – 10.22 pace group run
    6/26 – 6.01 easy

June total to date – 110.6

Nominal Challenge Goal – 100 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from injury to the point where running feels normal again. Stretch goal, recover to the point where I can run at race pace.

Today's notes – I thought I might like to run 8 or 10 miles today, but I missed running early. It was supposed to be in the low 90s this afternoon, so I figured 8 would be enough. At 3 PM, my porch thermometer said 96° and I was intimidated by the heat on the driveway. Came back in and took a nap. Finally got out at 5, when the porch thermometer said 98°. Didn't know how far I'd run. There was a nice SW breeze that helped for about 2.5 miles, then I turned east with the wind at my back and roasted a bit. Ended up deciding 6 miles was all I was going to do in the heat. When I got done, it was down to 96° by the porch thermometer; but it didn't feel that bad out on the roads. I think the porch thermometer is reading a bit high in the summer due to heat coming off the blacktop driveway.

The weather feed Garmin uses had the temperature dropping from 91° to 90° while I ran, and said it was only 20% relative humidity when I was done. Okay, still warm enough to stop at 6 miles. If I believe the porch thermometer, it's a new PR for how hot a temperature I've run in; if I believe the weather feed, it ties a PR. But the last time I ran in 91°, the humidity was a lot worse than today.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39
    6/6 dog nursing....DH was longingly looking at his weedwhacker. I spelled him to go whack off.
    6/7 5.31
    6/8 3.60
    6/9 3.12
    6/10 gave DH a nursing break
    6/11 8.32
    6/12 3.71
    6/13 3.38
    6/14 4.41 snuck out of work and ran in the rain.....so I can dognurse/give DH a break when I get home. 3 weeks till he's allowed off leash.....
    6/15 3.11
    6/16 4.19
    6/17 3.30
    6/18 rest
    6/19 4.23
    6/20 snorkel 2.5 hours
    6/21 5.00
    6/22 4.17
    6/23 3.19
    6/24 rest
    6/25 4.56
    6/26 5.00

Total 78.20

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
    wrote:
    He said I could go for some blood tests but that I have to be feeling well and have been well for at least 2 weeks to have them done, otherwise they will be skewed. I haven't felt well enough yet to go, which is useless really :neutral:

@louubelle16 .....I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I (as a physician) have ever heard.....I make a concerted effort NOT to play doctor on any chat room/board, but here is my professional opinion: go NOW and get another opinion.