I need to lose weight! 1200 Cal? 1500 Cal? or 2775 Cal @ 50% carbs and 165g sugar?

Options
PAV8888
PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Yes, it is a red herring. Or is it?

In a thread today I saw a 26 yo male advocating that people between 150 and 300lbs should eat 1050 to 2100 Cal a day (7 cal per lb) to lose weight!

Untold MFPers go straight to 1200 / 1500 Cal a day.

People who weight more than 300lbs agonise whether they should eat 1500, or 1700 Calories to get anywhere.

Tools used: https://www.designbyvh.com/myfitnesspal-export-data/ to extract information about the food I logged on MFP the past 365 days.

www.trendweight.com for weight and trending weight information.

About me :smile:

I started walking more in January 2014, and trying to lose "a bit of weight this summer" in May of 2014. I joined MFP in November 2014.

By June 27, 2015, the day our 365 days start, I had already lost almost 100lbs. I am 172cm tall and 50 years old.

Between June 27, 2015 and June 26, 2016, my scale weight went from 182.3lbs (BMI 28) to 158lbs (BMI 24.2) (i.e. -24.3lbs in 365 days). My trending weight went from 183.8lbs to 158.5lbs (-25.3lbs)

This translates into a weight loss of about 0.45lbs a week, i.e. a deficit of ~121 Cal a day. My average calories eaten per day were logged as 2775.

The logged macros (and yes, there is a discrepancy using MFP and food label entries) multiply out to a higher daily calorie count. An average of 2848 instead.

Breakdown was: 351 g Carb (49%+), 95 g Fat (30%), 147 g Protein (20%+), 356 mg Cholesterol, 3758 mg sodium, 165 g sugar and 42 g Fiber.

I was beyond pre-diabetic when I started losing weight. I am testing normal since.

n=1, of course.

I am only in the middle of the pack on most of my recent Fitbit workweek challenges even though I do average close to 20K Fitbit steps a day. I very seldom run, or lift weights, or even do 10 push ups.

I do make an effort to log as accurately as I can. All of the time. Even when I am guessing.
*i.e. I don't guess "high" or "low" on purpose.

I do take the time to review my logs and figure out which food items keep me full and happy and which ones are bad caloric bargains for me.

Your own mileage may vary; but, please consider trying to lose weight while eating as much as possible rather than as little as possible.

So many MFP users want to be "done" as fast as possible. Yet, weight control for most of us is going to be a lifelong task.

And yes, I do think I should consume less sugar and fewer artificial sweeteners. Even though my current consumption levels haven't stopped me from losing weight!

ETA: some of my MFPeeps suggest I should cut down on my McD visits too!

Replies

• healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great job Pav! 0.45lb loss per week really adds up over a year. Look to the long term losses. I really like the process of logging my food so I know how much I can squeeze in - lol. Every little bit lost is a step in the right direction. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    First let me say, GREAT JOB! However, not the most appropriate board for your success story as this is the board for those that are looking for HELP, and as far as I can tell YOU don't need that, which is great.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That's the thing @healthkickkath1: it is almost surprising to not see a daily change (because with a small deficit your daily water weight fluctuations often totally obscure any weight loss)... and yet look back three months later and go: wow, I did lose some weight and I do feel lighter! :smile:
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Excellent write up; very encouraging and proof that it has to be a way of life, not a diet mindset.

The weight falls off if i eat at 1200 or even 1500. But anyone who has lost some weight before knows that as soon as you eat over that, it's all coming back and does so seemingly rather much quicker than it felt like starving yourself to rid of it.
    "If it's not sustainable than it's not maintainable." (first heard this from~EM2WL)

I like your choice of walking for moving more. It is natural & stress busting. It is relatively easy to do, again making it sustainable.

It is always a treat to hear of one's victories. And especially in this case where there are no extremes, no food segregation nor trying to be super.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Victories are encouraging on the "help" threads. We can learn from others' testimonials.
  • michealtheworm
    michealtheworm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 17Lb in 30 days by changing my diet and exercise. I didn't starve myself. I replaced all chips and junk food snacks with salads and low calorie snacks and cut my intake to 1500 a day. My lunch is the largest meal of the day with dinner (depending on how hungry I was) being second. I was 225 lb and 42 inches around my belly button. at the end of the month I was 37.5 inches and weighed 208 lb. If I got bored and wanted to eat, I would go for a walk or something and eat a salad when I got back. I hope this gives someone else a few ideas to cut a few pounds and to stay motivated.
  • healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I was thinking about this on a smaller scale earlier this morning. I struggle when on a VLCD. I had 20 pounds to lose and lost the first 10 in about 5 months (May-Sept.). I plateaued once my BMI got down to normal range.

But I still need to lose weight and don't ever want to suffer like I did with hunger and cravings on such a restrictive diet.

I figured this morning if I dropped down 100 calories a day from my TDEE if I could theoretically lose 10 pounds in a downward trend over the year if I am diligent. I don't care about losing fast but want to lose and maintain my loss and never gain it back.

This is my long term plan too. No major hunger involved, and easier to sustain and maintain.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I lost 17Lb in 30 days by changing my diet and exercise. I didn't starve myself. I replaced all chips and junk food snacks with salads and low calorie snacks and cut my intake to 1500 a day. My lunch is the largest meal of the day with dinner (depending on how hungry I was) being second. I was 225 lb and 42 inches around my belly button. at the end of the month I was 37.5 inches and weighed 208 lb. If I got bored and wanted to eat, I would go for a walk or something and eat a salad when I got back. I hope this gives someone else a few ideas to cut a few pounds and to stay motivated.

What adaptations have you made to keep it off? How long have you been at goal weight?
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yes, it is a red herring. Or is it?

In a thread today I saw a 26 yo male advocating that people between 150 and 300lbs should eat 1050 to 2100 Cal a day (7 cal per lb) to lose weight!

Untold MFPers go straight to 1200 / 1500 Cal a day.

People who weight more than 300lbs agonise whether they should eat 1500, or 1700 Calories to get anywhere.

Tools used: https://www.designbyvh.com/myfitnesspal-export-data/ to extract information about the food I logged on MFP the past 365 days.

www.trendweight.com for weight and trending weight information.

About me :smile:

I started walking more in January 2014, and trying to lose "a bit of weight this summer" in May of 2014. I joined MFP in November 2014.

By June 27, 2015, the day our 365 days start, I had already lost almost 100lbs. I am 172cm tall and 50 years old.

Between June 27, 2015 and June 26, 2016, my scale weight went from 182.3lbs (BMI 28) to 158lbs (BMI 24.2) (i.e. -24.3lbs in 365 days). My trending weight went from 183.8lbs to 158.5lbs (-25.3lbs)

This translates into a weight loss of about 0.45lbs a week, i.e. a deficit of ~121 Cal a day. My average calories eaten per day were logged as 2775.

The logged macros (and yes, there is a discrepancy using MFP and food label entries) multiply out to a higher daily calorie count. An average of 2848 instead.

Breakdown was: 351 g Carb (49%+), 95 g Fat (30%), 147 g Protein (20%+), 356 mg Cholesterol, 3758 mg sodium, 165 g sugar and 42 g Fiber.

I was beyond pre-diabetic when I started losing weight. I am testing normal since.

n=1, of course.

I am only in the middle of the pack on most of my recent Fitbit workweek challenges even though I do average close to 20K Fitbit steps a day. I very seldom run, or lift weights, or even do 10 push ups.

I do make an effort to log as accurately as I can. All of the time. Even when I am guessing.
    *i.e. I don't guess "high" or "low" on purpose.

I do take the time to review my logs and figure out which food items keep me full and happy and which ones are bad caloric bargains for me.

Your own mileage may vary; but, please consider trying to lose weight while eating as much as possible rather than as little as possible.

So many MFP users want to be "done" as fast as possible. Yet, weight control for most of us is going to be a lifelong task.

And yes, I do think I should consume less sugar and fewer artificial sweeteners. Even though my current consumption levels haven't stopped me from losing weight!

ETA: some of my MFPeeps suggest I should cut down on my McD visits too!

==== True and sustainable success! Excellent post for anyone using MFP .
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Saw thread title.
    Noticed who started it.
    Was like, :huh:

Read post.
    Was like, "ah..."
  • PAV8888
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Saw thread title.
    Noticed who started it.
    Was like, :huh:

Read post.
    Was like, "ah..."

Uh-oh: sounds like I may have developed a reputation :smiley:
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Funny and awesome message. Kudos!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I love this post too. Congratulations OP.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I love this. But people always think, not me. I'm a special snow flake . If only one person is spared starving them self to lose weight, then you did good Pav.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Bump for "Let's Go"
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love this and this is my approach as well. Most people I know yo-yo a lot because they go on super restrictive diets they can never hope to keep up with and then go straight back to pizza and beer the second they reach their goal. Slow and steady wins the race because when you get to the end you have forgotten you even were in a race and now you just like the feel of the run (if that analogy makes any sense). Sure, both are effective for losing pounds off your body, but the end results are so different in body composition. More muscle means it will be easier to maintain weight going forward.

Awesome post!