Are carbs really important?

Options

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    A simple quick answer is YES, but choose complex carb (whole grain, etc).

Read this article, it will help you understand what food does to your body and it'll help you choose food wisely.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/idssports3.htm

BTW, you need to eat your exercise calories back, here are some good blog/topic to read:
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/index2.html

Good luck
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I have been on both ends of this spectrum. Carb diet and low carb diet. I'm not going to say which one is better because it's stupid.

What I say is... Do what works for you.
  • odie02
    odie02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

There is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrates. From the standpoint of survival, the minimum amount of carbohydrates that are required in a diet is zero grams per day. The body can make what little it needs from other sources.

LOL this is the biggest piece of misinformation i've ever read. Carbs scientifically and physically are are primary fuel source of existance. The human body doesn't make carbs *laughs

No the body doesn't make carbs.

What it DOES do is turn carbs into glucose. However.......the body CAN also convert protein and fat into glucose, albeit at a lower percentage.

People need this glucose to fuel their bodies. However, carbs are NOT the only source, it is very possible to make do with low levels of carbs. There is a very large body of people who subscribe to the ideas of Dr. Bernstein in terms of eating a low-carb diet. He prescribes eating 30g a day. I personally know people who've done this for years, with no ill effects. In fact, they're HEALTHIER than they used to be.

....I think the carb vs. low carb debate is never going to be settled. We all have to agree to disagree :)

Besides the moderator, this is one of the few posts that is the most correct. Of course you can live without carbs, no the body doesn't make them, and carbs = glucose in the blood = sugar...sugar not used turns to fat and is stored in the body. While you can live with absolutely no carbs, the body burns other sources for fuel leading to problems with ketones, muscle loss and you can end up with ketoacidosis...which can be deadly. Any "diet" can be done and lead to weight loss...but not necessarily proper health.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You can live without carbs, but you'll most likely be tired a lot more because of how much less efficiently protein and fat are converted into glucose.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Carbs are important, but it's best to eat the whole-grain/whole wheat type.

I followed a low-carb diet several years ago, and followed it for 18 mos. I lost some weight (40 lbs), but I lost all that in the first 4 mos, and then plateaued for over a year! Also, my cholesterol skyrocketed to 313 and my doctor freaked out.

The main reason I don't like those types of restrictive diets, especially low-carb, is that all you see/smell/crave is what you CAN'T have! And that's very very difficult, and for me it got old really fast. Plus, high protein can put a strain on the kidneys in many people.
  • shiggity
    shiggity Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I can eat carbs for hours and never feel satisfied.
    But if I have a meal of meat and veg I feel fine and not obsessed with food until the next meal.

This is the same for me. That's why I watch my carb count. But each person is different!!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

There is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrates. From the standpoint of survival, the minimum amount of carbohydrates that are required in a diet is zero grams per day. The body can make what little it needs from other sources.

LOL this is the biggest piece of misinformation i've ever read. Carbs scientifically and physically are are primary fuel source of existance. The human body doesn't make carbs *laughs

What it DOES do is turn carbs into glucose. However.......the body CAN also convert protein and fat into glucose, albeit at a lower percentage.

People need this glucose to fuel their bodies. However, carbs are NOT the only source, it is very possible to make do with low levels of carbs. There is a very large body of people who subscribe to the ideas of Dr. Bernstein in terms of eating a low-carb diet. He prescribes eating 30g a day. I personally know people who've done this for years, with no ill effects. In fact, they're HEALTHIER than they used to be.

....I think the carb vs. low carb debate is never going to be settled. We all have to agree to disagree :)

Besides the moderator, this is one of the few posts that is the most correct. Of course you can live without carbs, no the body doesn't make them, and carbs = glucose in the blood = sugar...sugar not used turns to fat and is stored in the body. While you can live with absolutely no carbs, the body burns other sources for fuel leading to problems with ketones, muscle loss and you can end up with ketoacidosis...which can be deadly. Any "diet" can be done and lead to weight loss...but not necessarily proper health.

Ketoacidosis is not (to my knowledge) possible unless you have diabetes and are severely insulin deprived, dehydrated, and are in a bad electrolyte imbalance (it's actually called Diabetic Ketoacidosis or DKA). There is also something called alcoholic ketoacidosis. I have never heard of anyone else falling into ketoacidosis, because even on a ketogenic diet - it's not NEARLY enough ketones to cause this life-threatening emergency.

I think you mean ketosis - which is not life threatening. ;)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

Ketoacidosis is NOT possible unless you have diabetes and are severely insulin deprived, dehydrated, and are in a bad electrolyte imbalance (it's actually called Diabetic Ketoacidosis or DKA).

I think you mean ketosis - which is not life threatening. ;)

Uh no... DKA is one type of Ketoacidosis. It is the most COMMON but it is NOT the only way to get it.
  • odie02
    Options
    wants to get skinny.. you are incorrect. You do not have to have diabetes to have ketoacidosis...may be the more common cause, but it is absolutely possible to have the problem due to other factors. Maybe if you had gone to school in the medical field, as I do, you would know this.

"Ketones are produced when the body burns fat for energy or fuel. (don't have to be diabetic for that) They are also produced when you lose weight (again do not have to be diabetic for that) or if there is not enough insulin to help your body use sugar for energy. Without enough insulin, glucose builds up in the blood. Since the body is unable to use glucose for energy, it breaks down fat instead. When this occurs, ketones form in the blood and spill into the urine. These ketones can make you very sick."

"Ketoacidosis is a metabolic state associated with high concentrations of ketone bodies, formed by the breakdown of fatty acids and the deamination of amino acids. The two common ketones produced in humans are acetoacetic acid and β-hydroxybutyrate."

"Ketoacidosis may also result from prolonged fasting or when following a ketogenic diet."

"Ketoacidosis is a pathological metabolic state marked by extreme and uncontrolled ketosis. (Normal ketosis, by contrast, is a functional aspect of fat-based energy metabolism, induced by prolonged fasting or a low-carbohydrate diet.) In ketoacidosis, the body fails to adequately regulate ketone production causing such a severe accumulation of keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. In extreme cases ketoacidosis can be fatal."

**Info found at MayoClinic, wikipedia (although not always a reliable source), medical journals, physician, professors and my text books.

No, I did not mean ketosis...If I did, I would have said so. Ketosis is a normal part of every person and is safe. It becomes unsafe when hyperketosis or ketoacidosis occurs.

(edited to change incorrect name that I was replying to...sorry)
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    wants to get skinny.. you are incorrect. You do not have to have diabetes to have ketoacidosis...may be the more common cause, but it is absolutely possible to have the problem due to other factors. Maybe if you had gone to school in the medical field, as I do, you would know this.

"Ketones are produced when the body burns fat for energy or fuel. (don't have to be diabetic for that) They are also produced when you lose weight (again do not have to be diabetic for that) or if there is not enough insulin to help your body use sugar for energy. Without enough insulin, glucose builds up in the blood. Since the body is unable to use glucose for energy, it breaks down fat instead. When this occurs, ketones form in the blood and spill into the urine. These ketones can make you very sick."

"Ketoacidosis is a metabolic state associated with high concentrations of ketone bodies, formed by the breakdown of fatty acids and the deamination of amino acids. The two common ketones produced in humans are acetoacetic acid and β-hydroxybutyrate."

"Ketoacidosis may also result from prolonged fasting or when following a ketogenic diet."

"Ketoacidosis is a pathological metabolic state marked by extreme and uncontrolled ketosis. (Normal ketosis, by contrast, is a functional aspect of fat-based energy metabolism, induced by prolonged fasting or a low-carbohydrate diet.) In ketoacidosis, the body fails to adequately regulate ketone production causing such a severe accumulation of keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. In extreme cases ketoacidosis can be fatal."

**Info found at MayoClinic, wikipedia (although not always a reliable source), medical journals, physician, professors and my text books.

No, I did not mean ketosis...If I did, I would have said so. Ketosis is a normal part of every person and is safe. It becomes unsafe when hyperketosis or ketoacidosis occurs.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is everyone who is on a ketogenic diet should let their doctor know and have regular blood work to make sure your body is metabolizing fat in ketosis do not have any underlying health issues that need attention. Ketoacidosis is very rare in healthy adults.

I am under my doctor's care and he has told me that he approves of Atkins.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options

LOL, THAT was definitive. I mean it has to be because you put it in quotes.

Please cite examples of healthy people (not diabetics) on low carbohydrate diets developing ketoacidosis. Do not bother citing that Lancet report either as that woman was clearly misdiagnosed.
  • odie02
    Options

LOL, THAT was definitive. I mean it has to be because you put it in quotes.

Please cite examples of healthy people (not diabetics) on low carbohydrate diets developing ketoacidosis. Do not bother citing that Lancet report either as that woman was clearly misdiagnosed.

Well, the simple answer is this: One can not cite examples of a healthy person with ketoacidosis, as they are not healthy.

I never said that everyone on low carb diets develop ketoacidosis. Low carb simply means lower than normal, those diets done correctly (including testing for ketones with strips and monitoring levels) do not USUALLY cause life threatening issues. HOWEVER, if carbs are restricted too much or for too long, ketoacidosis CAN occur. In fact, it is even possible for a person taking a normal diet to become ill from a virus, etc and develop anorexia (lack of appetite) and vomiting and in turn "starve" for a day or two due to such illness and develop ketoacidosis. I am not about to conduct a research study for you, I am not about to go through the research data base for you. I simply made a statement about a true medical problem and it has been taken so far off topic to the OP. There are many reasons a person can develop ketoacidosis and one does not have to be diabetic. Believe what you want, that is not my problem.
  • beernutz
    Options
    [snip]
    HOWEVER, if carbs are restricted too much or for too long, ketoacidosis CAN occur.
    [snip]
    Bull****. I am talking about an otherwise healthy individual on a low carb diet. I DON'T care how many times you CAPTIALIZE it you are still WRONG.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    [snip]
    HOWEVER, if carbs are restricted too much or for too long, ketoacidosis CAN occur.
    [snip]
    Bull****. I am talking about an otherwise healthy individual on a low carb diet. I DON'T care how many times you CAPTIALIZE it you are still WRONG.

Agree. The issue should really be whether low-carb is safe for an otherwise healthy person. It is.

Regardless, any new diet should be conferred about with a doctor. If a person isn't healthy enough for low-carb or has other health conditions, those should be taken into consideration.

Scaring people with extremely EXTREMELY rare 'what ifs' about ketoacidosis in non-diabetics is ridiculous.
  • beernutz
    Options
    [snip]
    [snip]

Agree. The issue should really be whether low-carb is safe for an otherwise healthy person. It is.

Regardless, any new diet should be conferred about with a doctor. If a person isn't healthy enough for low-carb or has other health conditions, those should be taken into consideration.

Scaring people with extremely EXTREMELY rare 'what ifs' about ketoacidosis in non-diabetics is ridiculous.

Thank you for that sensible answer. You are exactly right and it bears repeating that anyone starting ANY type of new diet should consult with a health care provider and monitor themselves regularly.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

can you back up each of your claims with a literature reference?
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: carbohydrate consumption is highly dependent on your level of physical activity.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Also, research has shown that people on low-fat diets (i.e. diets with plenty of carb) tend to underestimate the amount of calories they consume. After looking at your diary, I would say that lowering your carb intake might be a good idea.

Please provide the research you spaek of
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

There is alot of information/misinformation on the web about biology but my guess is less then half is actually fact based or even remotely true. Try living on a 100% protein based diet and see how long you live or a 100% fat for that matter. Nutrition isn't rocket science and its surely not above common sense in which your web based reference surely is. The failure of the low/no carb diet and the physiological damage it causes long term is well referenced. The general consensus for adequate salt intake is 2 grams a day or less while many websites say 6 grams a day is whats required:D I almost believe the latter to be true.

Ever hear of Eskimos? Just saying.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Also, research has shown that people on low-fat diets (i.e. diets with plenty of carb) tend to underestimate the amount of calories they consume. After looking at your diary, I would say that lowering your carb intake might be a good idea.

Please provide the research you spaek of

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20010905

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7594141

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7918325

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bray-review-of-gcbc.pdf