ghosting-

Options

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I didn't read this entire thread but isn't ghosting a punkass way out?
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

thats part of the question i guess- in what scenario would it be okay?

I don't think in any scenario it's okay. If you don't want to speak to someone anymore then tell them so. Don't just let them wonder if you fell off the face of the earth. Especially, if it's someone who you've had some type of relationship with (online or other). Grant it, there are people who are relentless and cannot take that rejection but at least make it clear that you are indeed rejecting them for whatever reason and THEN you can stop talking to them, block them or whatever.

*my 2 cents* Not worth much but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    People like closure. Even if it's not pleasant. Maybe, give them a heads up: "hey, we have moved to a state of pre-ghosting. So, good luck with stuff and junk. Deleting you from my contact list now." But, nicer. Ya know?
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I've ghosted a few people, it is easier than hurting them.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

thats part of the question i guess- in what scenario would it be okay?

I don't think in any scenario it's okay. If you don't want to speak to someone anymore then tell them so. Don't just let them wonder if you fell off the face of the earth. Especially, if it's someone who you've had some type of relationship with (online or other). Grant it, there are people who are relentless and cannot take that rejection but at least make it clear that you are indeed rejecting them for whatever reason and THEN you can stop talking to them, block them or whatever.

*my 2 cents* Not worth much but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

hypothetically what if you're a punk *kitten* *kitten* tho and that's just *who you are* shouldn't you be true to yourself

NO! Never be true to yourself. Lie like the rest of us. ;)
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    Can we all be honest and point out that some people are just plain crazy and ghosting is the best way to get away from them?
    You don't wanna tick off a lunatic

i personally agree. sometimes they just won't leave you alone even after you've gone as monosyllabic and non-committed as possible.

Well there are exceptions to everything of course. Isn't ghosting when you suddenly stop talking with someone and they have zero idea why? If you've already communicated that you're stopping contact for whatever reason and they continue being "crazy", then sure, I'd say cut them off totally. But at least you've made it known first. I just think it's unfair to keep someone wondering what happened. Closure can be good.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    Can we all be honest and point out that some people are just plain crazy and ghosting is the best way to get away from them?
    You don't wanna tick off a lunatic

i personally agree. sometimes they just won't leave you alone even after you've gone as monosyllabic and non-committed as possible.

Well there are exceptions to everything of course. Isn't ghosting when you suddenly stop talking with someone and they have zero idea why? If you've already communicated that you're stopping contact for whatever reason and they continue being "crazy", then sure, I'd say cut them off totally. But at least you've made it known first. I just think it's unfair to keep someone wondering what happened. Closure can be good.

Sometimes things turn on a dime though. They might do something that just "out there" and the only way to stop a Fatal Attraction type situation is to be out

Again, there are exceptions in extreme types of circumstances. Majority of the time though, it's just a punkass way of ending things. Not ALL the time but I guarantee you it is mostly that.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have done it once and I still feel guilty. I went out with a guy twice. Second date realized that I wasn't into him at all. He rejected every active thing I like to do :(. I tried to pull back and text a lot less and short answers but he didn't get the hint even when I said I didn't really have time for a relationship and things like that. So I just stopped responding. I hate rejecting people. I like to put it on me and say I might be moving or am focused on [insert excuse]. I need to work on being more direct, because I decided I won't ghost someone again.