Does green tea actually work for weight loss?

Options
lemonsmile00
lemonsmile00 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've recently started drinking green tea as all articles I've read said it is advised epecially to people trying to lose weight. I was wondering if any of you maybe saw any results of consuming green tea in their weight loss? :)

Replies

• kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nope...it's a gimmick.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Flavored unsweetened tea really helps me with cravings and doesn't add any calories to my day. So, in the sense that it can help you maintain a calorie deficit, drink it if you like it.
  • lemonsmile00
    lemonsmile00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :) im of course not planning to replace excercise with green tea and I'm definitely gonna try to continue drinking it for the sake of avoiding snacking. Thank you all for your replies :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've recently started drinking green tea as all articles I've read said it is advised epecially to people trying to lose weight. I was wondering if any of you maybe saw any results of consuming green tea in their weight loss? :)

@lemonsmile00 green tea per some research seems to be a good antioxidant. Anything that cuts body inflammation may help with health in general which could include weight loss. There seems to be little to no downside to drinking green tea for most people yet many potential upside benefits. I understand some think of webmd.com as a quack site but here is one researchers remarks on green tea.

webmd.com/food-recipes/health-benefits-of-green-tea

Welcome to MFP forums. MFP forums has become a major source health improvement info over the past few years at my house. A lot of science links get posted or subjects that are worth Googling for info. The actual comments do run the gambit from from awesome to even damaging to the health of some as is typical for social media advice in general.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Wipes out a craving. Better to have green tea than a bag of doritos.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I drink green tea almost every day. I drank it while I was gaining weight and I drank it while I was losing weight and I drink it now that I am not trying to do either.

It can help with weight loss only if you use it to lower your calorie intake. For example if you drink it instead of a higher calorie drink.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying. It makes no impact on weight gain or loss (unless you fill it with sweetener), but for me it ruins the taste of anything I may try to snack on at the same time, so, because I really enjoy me tea, I know I won't be eating while I'm drinking it.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I switched to green tea last year. I don't think it's made a jot of difference to my metabolism or anything like that - but my teeth no longer get stained from drinking black tea so yay!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I like doritos...prefer those over green tea...bleck.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I can't imagine a cup of tea wiping out a craving for something crunchy and salty.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    It won't. But green tea ice cream is awesome. I tried it at a Japanese restaurant.

What? Someone actually liked that stuff? I find that it tastes and smells like grass. It reminds me of mowing the lawn when I was a kid. Ew, on both counts.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The only thing it will do is fill you up with water and possibly make you less hungry from the limited caffeine it has (and it has no calories). So inadvertently could it make you lose weight from eating less? Sure.