Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Time- even healthy calories are calories

Options

Replies

• SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm going to save this and give it to a few people I know, because they don't believe me, may they'll believe Time lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes, people need to understand that a calorie is simply a unit of energy...you consume more energy than you require, you are going to gain weight regardless of whether the food was highly nutritional as well.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I think it's incredibly easy to understand calories. It's just that very few people actually take the time to learn about it or teach it.

This is the part I have a problem understanding. When did parents stop teaching their children how to eat right? I learned about calories and how we get fat at home.

I wonder if it's when both parents starting working away from home and "easy" foods became the norm...

I wasn't taught about calories but I was taught about how to eat healthy foods but at the same time...my mom was a Major in the "Clean Plate Police" force...and serving sizes were not discussed....

My husband on the other hand was told to take half of what he wanted and go back for 2nd's or 3rd's if he was still hungry...he has never had a weight problem.

Both parents out of the house could certainly be a contributing factor. I think parents these days also have a bit more expectancy that schools will teach these types of things and so don't address it at home.

Personally, I didn't learn about calories and healthy eating until well into my teens when I was already overweight, and I only learned about it because my mom decided to join WW and asked me to join her. WW is where I learned what calories are, how to read a nutrition label, how to calculate how many calories I need, etc.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It seems that some people don't realize that the calories do count even if they are from healthy foods.

This is something that really shocked me when I joined this site. I had no idea so many people were clueless about calories. Surely this is a huge contributor to the obesity epidemic. When and how did this happen?

It's always been that way. Calories as a concept, is a pretty new thing altogether. What's screwed everything up, is that the ignorance remains, but the cheap food supply and quick transit has gone through the roof.
  • Sept111944
    Sept111944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The misinformation out there is appalling. 20 years ago soft drinks came in 8 or 10 ounce bottles and that's what people drank. Now most drinks are 16 or 20 ounces and that's what people drink. They are surprised that the nutrition label says it's 21/2 servings. Also restaurant food is deceiving. A seemingly healthy meal of grilled chicken breast with mushrooms and broccoli (instead of potato) was 1150 cal, 60 g. fat, and a whopping 1300 g sodium!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I think it's incredibly easy to understand calories. It's just that very few people actually take the time to learn about it or teach it.

This is the part I have a problem understanding. When did parents stop teaching their children how to eat right? I learned about calories and how we get fat at home.

My parents had bigger concerns than making sure their kids were eating "right", such as paying bills so we had a place to live/sleep, keeping a few of us out of jail/prison, helping with early motherhood of their daughters, etc. Teaching us about eating "right" was really low on the list.

I wasn't taught about nutrition or calories in school, high school or college. I only learned the minimum amount about nutrition when I had a job cooking for a care facility and had to work with special diets.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It seems that some people don't realize that the calories do count even if they are from healthy foods.

This is something that really shocked me when I joined this site. I had no idea so many people were clueless about calories. Surely this is a huge contributor to the obesity epidemic. When and how did this happen?

It's always been that way. Calories as a concept, is a pretty new thing altogether. What's screwed everything up, is that the ignorance remains, but the cheap food supply and quick transit has gone through the roof.

It wasn't that way where I lived when I was growing up. I don't remember a lot of talk about calories specifically but everyone knew you got fat by overeating. And very few people were fat. (I'm rather old).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

It wasn't that way where I lived when I was growing up. I don't remember a lot of talk about calories specifically but everyone knew you got fat by overeating. And very few people were fat. (I'm rather old).

Oh, I get that, absolutely. That's been known for a long time, but I more meant the specifics and math behind it. You also probably didn't grow up in a land of 2000 calorie burritos, and 1700 calorie hamburgers though. At some point, eating servings the size of one's head became the cultural norm, and I'll even hear grazing...erm...people, whining about portion sizes being too small at places, when in reality, they're already twice what they need to be.

You pair that with the lack of learning the science involved, and the shock lessens.
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating wasn't taught, per se, in my home when I was young, but it was implied in the way my mother shopped, prepared meals, and watched how much we ate. I'd ask "Can I have some more 'insert food' and she'd say "you've had enough" or "have some of this, instead." Then I became an adult and threw all that out the window.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »
    Healthy eating wasn't taught, per se, in my home when I was young, but it was implied in the way my mother shopped, prepared meals, and watched how much we ate. I'd ask "Can I have some more 'insert food' and she'd say "you've had enough" or "have some of this, instead." Then I became an adult and threw all that out the window.

This is actually what I mean. It's not as if my mother sat us down and taught us nutrition with essays and quizzes later. ;)

She just told us to eat our vegetables and meat. No dessert if you don't eat dinner. You don't eat snacks that will ruin your appetite for the meal. Get your hand out of the cookie jar, you've had enough. If you are hungry eat some food (apparently cookies weren't food)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Chipotle "health food", :lol:

"If Chipotle can convince America that 1000 calorie burritos are healthy... and we actually did that..."

OMG! I'm dying here :laugh: I've never eaten there it never appealed to me but after seeing the video, wow, doubt I ever would now, live birds, too funny. That video is beyond hysterical, thanks for the share. Can't wait to view the rest of his vids on Youtube as I'm sure they'll be just as hilarious.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Chipotle "health food", :lol:

"If Chipotle can convince America that 1000 calorie burritos are healthy... and we actually did that..."

OMG! I'm dying here :laugh: I've never eaten there it never appealed to me but after seeing the video, wow, doubt I ever would now, live birds, too funny. That video is beyond hysterical, thanks for the share. Can't wait to view the rest of his vids on Youtube as I'm sure they'll be just as hilarious.

The man is hilarious. His recent stuff on Brixton had me laughing like hell.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My mother will not listen to me when I tell her that it doesn't matter what you eat, so long as you don't eat too much of it.

She's wasted money on Shakeology, 21-Day Fix, tried low carb, basically banned bread from her house, and so forth... and I have a feeling she hasn't been losing the weight she wants so. Meanwhile, I've been doing my own thing and lost 40+ lbs so far counting calories and allowing myself to screw up sometimes. She says she doesn't have time to count calories. What the what? It takes me hardly any time at all to whip out my phone and scan a barcode or search for something in the database.

My family was pretty poor growing up, and finishing all of one's portion was expected. I grew up eating mac n' cheese and hot dogs, or rice and chicken nuggets topped with ketchup - the focus was on eating, not eating ~well. Honestly, I think my parents had enough to worry about being poor, first-time parents of twins than trying to teach us about calories and ~proper eating habits - and to be honest, idk if they really knew or cared about calories, themselves. I don't blame them in the slightest, and I don't think it's fair to attribute a lack of knowledge about calories and nutrition to poor/lazy parenting.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I didn't learn about calories at home (first learned about it at school). I learned about basic nutrition at home, but my parents never really talked about calories.

And if you think about it, calorie counting is relatively new - the bomb calorimeter wasn't invented until the 1890s, and even then it would be decades before the calorie counts for various foods would be published. Yeah, as early as the middle of the 20th century you could buy little books of calorie counts of various foods (hardly comprehensive, btw) and keep track yourself (you had to do all the math yourself and if something wasn't listed in your book you were SOL). The Internet didn't exist until the 1990s, and it would be several more years before these online databases, complete with tracking tools and formulas for figuring out what your own intake should be, would be available.

People are trying to do what their grandparents (or great grandparents) did to lose weight - cut intake without counting calories. It can be done that way, but we need to keep in mind (and I think this is where people tend to fail) that there weren't nearly as many food options back then, treats were just that, "treats" only consumed occasionally, dining out was for special occassions, portions at restaraunts were much smaller in any case, people were more active, produce was seasonal, food was simpler... Etc, etc, etc.

For the majority of human history people stayed a healthy weight (at least the majority of them) without ever knowing what a calorie was, much less how many they were consuming. They didn't know or worry about fat or protein or carbs. They also didn't have 24 hour drive thrus and 268 kinds of chips (made that number up, but you get the idea).

Its really not surprising people don't know and aren't teaching their kids about calories - it's not something most people paid much mind to until recent years.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I believe it's easy to over eat" healthy" foods.
    Learning about calories is very important!

One day I called my son to how he was and what he had eaten that morning( I was away working)
    He said, " I ate healthy "
    I said OK great, what did you eat?
    Here's the list he gave me-

Breakfast-
    3eggs
    1potato diced in a pan with olive oil
    1 banana
    And one plain Greek yogurt with granola added

Snack
    1 avocado
    2 jerky strips
    Snack bag of cashews
    1 plum

Lunch-
    2 chicken breasts
    1 sweet potato
    Snack bag of cashews
    2 plums

So yes, all of those foods where healthy but he ate way too much. He believed because the food was nutritious that it was no problem and didn't understand that the calories add up even if the foods are healthy .
    Needless to say after that, we had a talk about calories ( but on a childs level)

Healthy foods indeed have calories and they can absolutely add up.

I've even heard some volume eaters say that they have had no problem eating an entire cartoon of eggs because there was nothing else in the house. Not every one gets full quicker just because the foods are nutritious.

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options

One day I called my son to how he was and what he had eaten that morning( I was away working)

Breakfast-
    3eggs
    1 banana

Snack
    1 avocado
    2 jerky strips
    Snack bag of cashews
    1 plum

Lunch-
    2 chicken breasts
    1 sweet potato
    Snack bag of cashews
    2 plums

So yes, all of those foods where healthy but he ate way too much. He believed because the food was nutritious that it was no problem and didn't understand that the calories add up even if the foods are healthy .
    Needless to say after that, we had a talk about calories ( but on a childs level)

I've even heard some volume eaters say that they have had no problem eating an entire cartoon of eggs because there was nothing else in the house. Not every one gets full quicker just because the foods are nutritious.

Ooooh, cashews are so tricky. Beware if your son found the sea salt and pepper cashews - so delicious and so so calorie dense lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I didn't learn about calories at home (first learned about it at school). I learned about basic nutrition at home, but my parents never really talked about calories.

And if you think about it, calorie counting is relatively new - the bomb calorimeter wasn't invented until the 1890s, and even then it would be decades before the calorie counts for various foods would be published. Yeah, as early as the middle of the 20th century you could buy little books of calorie counts of various foods (hardly comprehensive, btw) and keep track yourself (you had to do all the math yourself and if something wasn't listed in your book you were SOL). The Internet didn't exist until the 1990s, and it would be several more years before these online databases, complete with tracking tools and formulas for figuring out what your own intake should be, would be available.

People are trying to do what their grandparents (or great grandparents) did to lose weight - cut intake without counting calories. It can be done that way, but we need to keep in mind (and I think this is where people tend to fail) that there weren't nearly as many food options back then, treats were just that, "treats" only consumed occasionally, dining out was for special occassions, portions at restaraunts were much smaller in any case, people were more active, produce was seasonal, food was simpler... Etc, etc, etc.

For the majority of human history people stayed a healthy weight (at least the majority of them) without ever knowing what a calorie was, much less how many they were consuming. They didn't know or worry about fat or protein or carbs. They also didn't have 24 hour drive thrus and 268 kinds of chips (made that number up, but you get the idea).

Its really not surprising people don't know and aren't teaching their kids about calories - it's not something most people paid much mind to until recent years.

I never said anything about parents teaching calorie counting. Eating right and counting calories aren't the same thing.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Breakfast-
    3eggs
    1 banana

Snack
    1 avocado
    2 jerky strips
    Snack bag of cashews
    1 plum

Lunch-
    2 chicken breasts
    1 sweet potato
    Snack bag of cashews
    2 plums

Ooooh, cashews are so tricky. Beware if your son found the sea salt and pepper cashews - so delicious and so so calorie dense lol.

All tree nuts are like that. I use Walnuts and Pecans when I need to fill in a quick 380-400 kcal, and all it takes is a couple of ounces.