Disadvantages of Keto diet

Options

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I tried Keto before finding mfp. It wasn't for me because I really like eating carbs. But I stuck with it for a while until I realized that there was no greater advantage to eating Keto then just using moderation and portion control.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Even if your on a Keto diet you still must be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Just because one does low carb or Keto doesn't mean that they'll automatically lose weight. A calorie deficit must still exist for one to lose weight .

I realized that if either way a calorie deficit is needed, why torture myself with Keto if all i needed was a calorie deficit for weight loss?

Instead a well balanced wide variety diet worked better for me. For long term success, it's important that you find a way of eating that you can stick to for the long run. Could you see yourself eating low carb forever? If not, then it might be best to find a way of eating that will best suite you for the long run.

For me, I needed to learn moderation and portion control to be successful. I lost all my weight and have kept it off for three years so far. I did better with moderation rather then deprivation.
    Any diet that deprived me of the food I loved just made me crave those foods even more. It was like the forbidden fruit. I learned how to properly Incorporate foods that I love by using moderation and portion control so no foods where off limits. I learned how to enjoy the foods that I love but within the correct portion sizes.

If you think that you can keep to a low carb or Keto diet forever then go for it! Some people like it a lot!
    But i don't see a greater advantage so for me it wasn't worth all the restrictions.

This.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thyroid problems (esp in women), increased cholesterol, low energy, slowed digestion. I don't recommend it.

Presumably n=1 anecdote ?
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Highly recommended if you are pre-diabetic. It should stop diabetes in its tracks. Your blood sugars won't spike if you are not eating grains and sugar.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    NO CARBS
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Getting my electrolytes figured out has been the biggest drawback so far. We'll see what the doctors say at my next check up...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Getting my electrolytes figured out has been the biggest drawback so far. We'll see what the doctors say at my next check up...

How long have you been doing Keto? Curious because my check up after starting low carb diet did not go so well. :(
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

How long have you been doing Keto? Curious because my check up after starting low carb diet did not go so well. :(

I was "low carb" last year and my check up was not how I'd like it.

So I did a bunch of research and am trying again this year at full keto. I'm only 5 weeks in, but I know a lot more about different fats now and how high fat can be ok. This year, I'm hoping my HDLs will be up and my triglycerides will be down. My gall bladder (or lack there of) has added a bit of complications for me personally to find fatty enough foods to be keto without triggering issues in the plumbing. But I'm doing better now!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I was "low carb" last year and my check up was not how I'd like it.

So I did a bunch of research and am trying again this year at full keto. I'm only 5 weeks in, but I know a lot more about different fats now and how high fat can be ok. This year, I'm hoping my HDLs will be up and my triglycerides will be down. My gall bladder (or lack there of) has added a bit of complications for me personally to find fatty enough foods to be keto without triggering issues in the plumbing. But I'm doing better now!

Good to know, best wishes!
  • Somedudezzzz
    Somedudezzzz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pretty much not being able to eat what you want
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    megan_h26 wrote: »
    Are there any disadvantages of Keto diet? Please be honest. I am really interested but I would like to make sure everything is safe before a change of lifestyle.

Why would you want to eliminate tasty carbs from a diet when you can lose weight in a calories deficit?

I did keto for a while, realised I missed rice.

Is that a fair disadvantage?
  • megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am almost ready to make a decision. Any new idea?
  • MadalinaPetre
    MadalinaPetre Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Human brain runs on sugar! I also think that we need a variety of nutrients found in different foods. I don't recommend keto diet because is not ballanced. Think about fiber and good carbs! Plus when you're on a keto diet the fat intake can be too high! I would suggest you to try the easy 'keto carbo' diet :) eat those foods that are having a low sugar content and only natural occuring sugar (eg: berries, pineapple, grapefruit, yogurts, cottage chesse) and complex carbs that have 0 sugar (eg: wild rice, steel cut oats, white potatoes, quinoa). Keep your fat intake maximum 30% of your total calories too in order to lose weight.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Keep your fat intake maximum 30% of your total calories too in order to lose weight.

:huh: :noway:

or, be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight?

Haha, pretty much. My fat intake is more like 60-65% of my kcals.