Do you ever feel like you look the same?

Options
st476
st476 Posts: 357 Member
I'm 5'4 and 132 lbs (my starting weight being 150). Sometimes I feel skinnier but sometimes I feel like I look the exact same, which is discouraging. A lot of people have been telling me I lost weight, but I don't really see it (even in pictures). It makes me want to give up when I feel like I'm putting in so much effort but still look the same. I thought that 18 pounds would be a huge difference for someone who wasn't that big to begin with.

Does anyone else ever feel this way? What do you do to make yourself feel better?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Yes, more often than not! I started at 155 and got down to 127.8 at one point. Now that I'm back at 138, I feel like I look like 155 again.
  • st476
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yes, more often than not! I started at 155 and got down to 127.8 at one point. Now that I'm back at 138, I feel like I look like 155 again.
    Did you feel smaller in the 120's? My goal is 120 for now. Last time I was 120 I was 5 sizes smaller than I am now so I'm hoping these last 12 pounds bring a bigger change :smile:
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I know I look the same because I still have my "apple" shape. I'm 5'2", and I've lost 22 pounds out of my goal of 75. Only a few pieces of clothing are now too big. But I do feel better. It's easier to lean all the way over for one thing. Plus, I have gone from Obese II to Obese I on the BMI chart.

While I don't have my figure back yet, I do imagine that there is now 22 fewer pounds squishing my internal organs. And that is a wonderful thing.

So much healthier!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Holy crap yes, and my husband thinks I'm crazy. I was 280 lbs, I'm now 200. And I feel. Exactly. The. Same.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have lost 34 pounds, down from 178. Other than my face which has thinned out, I can't see it anywhere else. I know I have slimmed down as clothes are looser and I can fit in UK 10/US 6 for the first time I'm forever but I don't see it. I'm still not satisfied.

I have around another 15 pounds to go (i think) but I'm evaluating as I go.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't see such a drastic change in myself that other people do. My body is still the same shape.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Yep, 62 pounds down (not done) and I feel like I look the same, but don't definitely don't feel the same.
  • ksutherland677
    ksutherland677 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Me! I just do not really see a change even though I've lost a couple pants sizes.
    SW:168
    CW:144
    My goal is 125-130 so I'm hoping I notice some changes soon.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ugh, yes! I've only lost 8 pounds (starting weight 140), but I feel like I look exactly the same... just less bloated. I haven't had any comments from anyone except my fiancé, who thinks my boobs are getting smaller. :s LOL
  • st476
    Options
    Yeah I think it's just the fact that I'm still the same exact shape but maybe sized down a little that makes it so hard to see a difference.
    Ugh, yes! I've only lost 8 pounds (starting weight 140), but I feel like I look exactly the same... just less bloated. I haven't had any comments from anyone except my fiancé, who thinks my boobs are getting smaller. :s LOL
    Lol I think mine got smaller too, they look weird now for some reason but I'm not complaining because I was/am a size 34DDD
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    We have almost the same stats. 5'4", SW 153, CW 130. Sometimes I feel like not much changed but I know that's not true. I have to wear smaller clothes and so many people comment that I know there's been change. Sometimes our minds play tricks on us. GW is 125, at least it is right now.
  • Ian_thompson
    Ian_thompson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't see the difference in myself even though I've dropped 2.4 stone,
    It can get disheartening but I keep trying on my clothes that fit me a few years ago before I became ill and ballooned in weight. They are starting to fit, and I get the pleasure of taking my big clothes to charity shop. Always gives me a boost fitting into the smaller clothes.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Oh absolutely
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    65 pounds down from my heaviest and half way to my goal, but other than clothes not fitting, I don't see a difference so I empathize. I am hoping the mirror image catches up soon. :)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started at 139. By 125 pounds, people were noticing the changes but I wasn't fully there yet. Now I'm 109 pounds and I'm still not fully accepting of my changes in my mind. Putting my progress pictures side by side has helped me realize it, but I guess it's just hard for me to believe that I've achieved so much with regard to my body composition in a bit over a year. As someone who has never been as slim or fit as I am now, I don't ever think I'll fully get it and if I do it will take quite a long time to get used to it.
  • Toribeth23
    Toribeth23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 12 lbs so far and all of my clothes pretty much fits the same way as they did 12 lbs ago. I take my measurements every few weeks and I have just barely lost any inches. I look in the mirror and see the same body I've been seeing. The only people who say I look thinner are the people who know I'm trying to lose the weight, so their perception of me is biased.... SO yeah. I don't see any changes. I don't really feel them either. But I'm definitely losing the weight! So I just keep hoping that one day, after 20 or so lbs, I'll look at myself and go "Wait a minute...This is different!" (I dunno if that will happen, but I'd like to think so! lol) Just keep going!
  • st476
    Options
    Toribeth23 wrote: »
    I've lost around 12 lbs so far and all of my clothes pretty much fits the same way as they did 12 lbs ago. I take my measurements every few weeks and I have just barely lost any inches. I look in the mirror and see the same body I've been seeing. The only people who say I look thinner are the people who know I'm trying to lose the weight, so their perception of me is biased.... SO yeah. I don't see any changes. I don't really feel them either. But I'm definitely losing the weight! So I just keep hoping that one day, after 20 or so lbs, I'll look at myself and go "Wait a minute...This is different!" (I dunno if that will happen, but I'd like to think so! lol) Just keep going!
    I know what you mean! The only people who have said I lost weight are the people who know I'm trying to lose weight so I don't know if I should believe them or not. I'm hoping for the same thing to happen too! Maybe we're just being too critical with ourselves because we see ourselves everyday and there's not going to be a huge difference day to day :smile: Good luck!

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" 157 lbs and my starting weight was 185. While my clothes don't lie, sometimes I look in the mirror and feel disappointed. This isn't how I imagined I'd look at my weight. Of course I'm cursed with the typical pear shape. I originally set my goal at 150, but I don't think 7 lbs less is going to look drastically different so I changed it to 140-145. I can see a difference in my upper body, but my lower body makes me feel like I'm still 240 lbs. I'm hoping my lower body will eventually catch up.
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 231 now, which is only down about 13 lbs in the last 6-7 weeks. Some days I feel like I can see something, some days I can't. Some days I feel like maybe my arms seem a teeny bit smaller, some days I feel like maybe my stomach isn't quite as jiggly when I touch it. I know that I'm making progress though, because I have a pair of shorts that I bought optimistically a few years back. Two years ago I could just squeeze into them for a cousin's graduation party. At the start of this summer they cut off my thighs and I don't think I could get the waistband buttoned. I've been trying them on again periodically and today they didn't cut my thighs at all and the waistband doesn't pull.

Honestly, as far as motivation goes I got a FitBit and it's been keeping me going. I think I've been dealing with depression a bit this month and I know there's been two days (and today will be another one) where the only thing that's motivating me to exercise is that stupid check mark on the calendar it gives me.
  • jenerek_md
    jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ugh I can so relate to this. I'm 5'7 started at 180, down 26 lbs, due to recent injury at maintenance for now with goal just not to gain but I don't feel any different. I don't see a difference. I'm frumpy, with rolls everywhere and nothing fits the way it did pre 3 babes. I work really hard to love myself, and it's worth it! Keep at it girl ❤️❤️