Do you guys really count calories?

Options

Replies

• interguru
    interguru Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I count everything at home and make estimates when away. It's not really necessary -- before I discovered this site I lost 15 pounds by mindful eating and portion control. I do it because I am geeky and enjoy the counting.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »
    Yes, I do. At home I weigh and measure, at restaurants I do my best .

This.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Its hard counting calories at restaurants, but mfp has most of places I go. Also, thinking about getting scale for home
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 lbs on MFP and I have weighed and measured everything since day one! It works for me. I don't want to not weigh as I don't want weight creeping back up
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I log nearly everything but I don't usually weigh anything. I know that's not considered the correct way to do things, but it's working for me so far. I suppose part of it is just skepticism on my part. I know the exercise machines are not accurate, I know the weight lifting calories are not accurate, so it seems a bit silly to obsess over whether I ate 1 oz of peanuts or 1.1 oz.

I said "nearly everything" because I will sometimes forget to log a drink or dessert at night simply because I knew I had X calories left and that the treat is less than X. I can tell when I've done that because the charts will show a dip in total calories that day. :) I don't lose much sleep over that because I know I'm under my calories for the day.

So far, 44 lbs in 5 months....about 27 lbs to my minimum goal.

Like others have mentioned, I intend to continue tracking calories when I get to my final goal weight. I've been a yoyo most of my life, usually because I reach my goal and stop doing the things that got me there. This time I intend to make tracking calories a lifelong strategy (until they finally invent a real miracle drug! ;) ).
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Currently, I log daily based on estimated weight/serving size.

Having logged close to a year now, I am considering moving a way from logging (for quantity/volume purposes). Now that I have control of my nutritional lifestyle, I'm considering moving away from food logging for quantity/volume purposes in lieu of food quality (based on nutrition), in addition to logging physical activity and vitals.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Generally weigh and count everything I eat.. It's the only way to know you are getting what you need.
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!! I Do. Have been doing it for years, am now down to my perfect weight. I look and feel and move great! And I plan to keep counting calories for the rest of my life!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do. Except when I don't, lol.

I had no reliable internet and computer access for 6 months, and didn't use MFP. I was in maintenance, but my self regulation and eyeballing of portions is broken, and I gained 10lbs.

Oh well. I'm back to weighing everything at home, best guesses at restaurants. And I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I will reevaluate when I get to goal, perhaps setting a lower weight ceiling (5lb range vs. a 10lb range) at which weight loss action needs to be taken.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Wow! A three year old thread comes back!

40346d1374446638-job-offer-zombie_thread.jpg
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do count my calories very carefully
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kronin23 wrote: »
    I do count my calories very carefully

There goes another kitten. I hope you're happy, @kronin23. Was it worth it??
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or measure things much now because I have gotten very good at estimating. I know my dishes and have a good sense of what food is how much.

But yeah, I log every single thing that goes into my mouth. And have, for four years.
  • HarleyHeartstop
    HarleyHeartstop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I dont count calories, macros, ounces etc. I also stopped logging because I feel its tedious. I eat intuitively and stop when I feel full and nothing is off limits. It works for me for maintenance.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count calories. I have a food scale, and measuring cups that I use for most things I prepare at home. It's true, eating out at places without nutritional information gets tough, but you'll find that after spending some time doing very precise measurement, your mental "guesstimator" gets more accurate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Wow! A three year old thread comes back!

40346d1374446638-job-offer-zombie_thread.jpg

Because it's worth repeating. Lol.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weight calorie dense things, some things I guesstimate based on size (medium apple) but I also try to over log things I'm unsure of and try to keep a little calorie buffer to account for my logging inaccuracies. My loved ones already think I'm a little obsessed because I enjoy talking about calories and nutrition so I have to be careful not to talk about it too much :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "This is the thread that never ends
    It just goes on and on my friends
    Somebody started posting it not knowing what it was
    And they'll continue posting it forever just because
    This is the thread that never ends..."

You're welcome for the ear worm. B)
  • Taylorgo90
    Taylorgo90 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't count - fitnesspal doing this :) but I care about
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you want to retain or gain muscle whilst burning fat, which would basically be a recomposition, yes, you do need to be accurate with your nutrition. Have you heard of "if it fits your macros"? Give it a google.