why am i NOT loosing weight what's going on???

Options

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Ok Thanks for the replys yes i have a digital scale. I weigh everything and i mean everything. I also scan everything using the Ipone app. lol I am 52 and way beyond lying to my self about what i eat and cheating /fooling my self. My diet as posted on Myfitness is 100 % accurate.

If you are scanning the bar code of prepackaged foods, therein may be your problem. Packaged food labels are notoriously incorrect, sometimes by a fair amount. For example, the label on my oats says that a 1/2 cup = 40g. In reality, a level 1/2 cup is probably 45-46g. My protein bars have weighed 10g more than what the label says. It may not sound like a huge amount, but it adds up! Weigh your packaged foods, too!

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    are you taking vitamins? have you tried Milk Thistle to cleanse your liver or Relora to minimize the production of cortisol and last but not least are you drinking ACV w/lemon every day?

hello thanks for the help sorry i never heard of milk Thistle. and what are ACV? thank for the information.

Yeah, you can just read right past that advice, OP.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this?
  • Chelseamatic1
    Chelseamatic1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating wheat. I was plateaued and read a book about wheat and how it affects the body. Since I stopped eating it 4 months ago I have dropped weight like crazy. Also be sure to exercise.
  • txBen01
    txBen01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

June 6th but only started using Myfitnesspal about 3 weeks ago. I must add that i stared this diet because i got severely dehydrated crossing a desert in 110 degrees for 4 hours on my motorcycle. It was severe enough to cause kidney shutdown. was in the hospital for 3 day on Antibiotics, morphine, potassium and IV. So for me is loose weight and get in shape or stop doing the type of rides i like.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    def2131 wrote: »
    Your body may be fighting it, especially if you are older. Hormones play a big part. My advice, don't worry about it, and keep it up, see if you're body will respond in time. I'm fighting menopause, and I was keeping under 1200 calories (with exercise) for 3 months before my body kicked in and I started dropping pounds. The big question isn't what the number on the scale says, it's "how do you feel"? Muscle weights more than fat, so are you gaining muscle and losing inches? If so, congratulate yourself!!

Muscle weighs the same as fat. A pound is a pound.

STOP SAYING THIS NONSENSE EVERYBODY!!!

according to that logic, lead weighs the same as feathers. and gold weighs the same as cotton candy. after all, "a pound is a pound."

(obviously, when people compare weights, they are considering the relative volumes as well.)

i know it's off-topic, but that really drives me nuts!

Had to repeat this, since I was beginning to think I was living in Bizarro-world, and the only one who shared this viewpoint.
  • txBen01
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Can you open your diary so we can see your log? We would likely be able to help you better if we could do that.

I have made my diet pubic now. Please note that the lettuce /salad is actual iceberg lettuce i don't user the pre made salad as they have carrots and cabbage that add to much carb to my diet.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight.....I worked my butt off for three weeks!........the scale said I gained three pounds. I was devestated......but I kept going. The follwing week I lost five pounds. Aaaaand went on to lose 60 pounds in five months. Keep pushing. I have been going at it this time for two weeks almost. No drop. I will keep pushing!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Your body may be fighting it, especially if you are older. Hormones play a big part. My advice, don't worry about it, and keep it up, see if you're body will respond in time. I'm fighting menopause, and I was keeping under 1200 calories (with exercise) for 3 months before my body kicked in and I started dropping pounds. The big question isn't what the number on the scale says, it's "how do you feel"? Muscle weights more than fat, so are you gaining muscle and losing inches? If so, congratulate yourself!!

according to that logic, lead weighs the same as feathers. and gold weighs the same as cotton candy. after all, "a pound is a pound."

(obviously, when people compare weights, they are considering the relative volumes as well.)

It drives me nuts when people mean volume or density and say weight.
    There would be no need to make assumptions if people didn't use the wrong terminology,

PS - common sense isn't as common as you seem to think. Case in point milk thistle and apple cider vinegar in this thread!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

June 6th but only started using Myfitnesspal about 3 weeks ago. I must add that i stared this diet because i got severely dehydrated crossing a desert in 110 degrees for 4 hours on my motorcycle. It was severe enough to cause kidney shutdown. was in the hospital for 3 day on Antibiotics, morphine, potassium and IV. So for me is loose weight and get in shape or stop doing the type of rides i like.

I would say give it more time before declaring it not working. Especially since your body was traumatized like that. And 1200-1300 calories is not enough for a man, 1200 is the minimum for a woman.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    2 oz grilled chicken breast is 86 calories not 50 (according to USDA)
    I see lots of generic entries and homemade entries being pulled from the database. Don't use these. They are likely not accurate for what you are eating. Use the recipe builder for homemade stuff.

Salmon, 3.2 ounce is not 80 calories. 3 oz raw is 177 calories

It looks like you need to tighten up your logging and make sure your using accurate database entries.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

a pound IS a pound, doe
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Had to repeat this, since I was beginning to think I was living in Bizarro-world, and the only one who shared this viewpoint.

Weight is mass x the acceleration of gravity. It's a measurement of force. Lead does weigh the same as feathers if the mass is the same. That is, if the amount of matter for both the lead and feathers is equal (I'm assuming of course we're staying on Earth so we'll stick with it's gravity value). Obviously, to achieve this you'd need a great volume of feathers (as mentioned in the earlier comment). Which leads us to density, which is mass/volume. The concepts are related but not directly linked. In other words, I can't tell you how much cup of lead weighs without knowing it's density.
  • julieb47
    julieb47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hallo from Wales, Ben. I've looked at your diary trying to find an answer for you. You're keeping your carbs under 50, are you trying to do the keto diet? If you are then I think your protein is way too high. You can go to Keto-calculator.ankerl.com and it will give you numbers for carbs, fat and protein you can input into mfp. I've lost 2lbs a week for 12 weeks on it. If it's not that then I can only reiterate what others have said - weigh everything and double check the database and be patient. Good luck.
  • EmmaJHare78
    EmmaJHare78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue. According to MFP if every day were like today (and it is) then I'd lose 16lb in five weeks. I never do. I weigh my food and log everything. I'm on 1200 -1300 calories a day and I only ever eat back a max of 50% of exercise calories. I've learned to accept the MFP projected weight loss as a fantasy and now focus on whether my general trajectory is in the right direction rather than the rate of weight loss. It's annoying because I really feel I deserve to be losing weight faster with my efforts but as long as it's coming off slowly then I can't be too miffed!
  • txBen01
    Options
    julieb47 wrote: »
    Hallo from Wales, Ben. I've looked at your diary trying to find an answer for you. You're keeping your carbs under 50, are you trying to do the keto diet? If you are then I think your protein is way too high. You can go to Keto-calculator.ankerl.com and it will give you numbers for carbs, fat and protein you can input into mfp. I've lost 2lbs a week for 12 weeks on it. If it's not that then I can only reiterate what others have said - weigh everything and double check the database and be patient. Good luck.

Hello sorry i am not a very diet educated person and have not ideal what Keto is. I just wanted to reduce my carbs and calories to loose weight. I am very disappointed to find out that MFP is that inaccurate. Basically i scanned 95 % of the food i eat because well i thought it was the most accurate way. I then find out it is completely off and that the data in MFP is also completely inaccurate. So basically what i learned is that MFP is pretty much useless
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    julieb47 wrote: »

Hello sorry i am not a very diet educated person and have not ideal what Keto is. I just wanted to reduce my carbs and calories to loose weight. I am very disappointed to find out that MFP is that inaccurate. Basically i scanned 95 % of the food i eat because well i thought it was the most accurate way. I then find out it is completely off and that the data in MFP is also completely inaccurate. So basically what i learned is that MFP is pretty much useless

MFP is exactly like every other app or tracker available: you get out of it what you put in. There are a ton of accurate entries in the database and scanning things will usually take you to the right information. But it just takes a couple of bad entries for foods you eat often to throw off your tracking. If you aren't willing to take the 30 seconds to double-check against your packaging, then this app may very well be useless for you. It's worked very well for a lot of the rest of us.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The MFP database is user created by and large. Therefore, people can their own entries, hence lots of "homemade" items that users create for their own recipes.

You just need to do some cross referencing by looking at the nutrition info on the label you can and making sure it matches that in the database. Then you'll be as accurate as everyone else using MFP successfully.
  • EmmaJHare78
    EmmaJHare78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also I should point out that I've been using MFP for three months and I've lost nearly two stone. So whilst it's not coming off at the rate the MFP predicts, it IS coming off. Stick with it Ben and just try to double check the user entries with packaging where possible.