Calvin Klein 'PLUS SIZE' model

Options
KorvapuustiPossu
KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss

Not sure if right part of the forum but here it goes...

I understand this girl is considered 'plus' for a model because she's not size 0... however she is 1.8 m tall, 69 kg and BMI of 21.3. She measures 93-71-99 cm. I've seen many comments about her being chubby or even fat (!)... I get a feeling that people are so used to seeing underweight people in magazines that they are actually shocked to see someone who is actually healthy weight. Calvin Klein uses a lot of models with BMI around 16-17 usually because it fits their smallest sizes. Question is why make underweight sizes as 'normal' or 'usual' ... there is petite, there is plus, they can make a line for 'extra slim' then...promoting underweight sizes as a norm is really unhealthy in my opinion. what do you guys think?

b0k4cuzt3b1r.jpg

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    She's gorgeous!
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering what kind of message it sends to teenagers when THIS is called PLUS size... Sure she is tall but actually pretty slim for her height (she actually recently lost about 9 kg - BMI 24 so some of the pics could be 'old ones')
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    She looks fantastic! Much more relatable than traditional skinny models.
  • miss_81
    miss_81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can't see anything overweight about her body. She's not skin and bones, she has a healthy body. As you said, 69 kg is below recommended for her height. She's not overweight, she just has a big frame.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    I was surprised to read (I really shouldn't be) that anything over xs or s is "plus sized" in the fashion world.
  • LTB1234
    LTB1234 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think she's beautiful but I totally ignore the fashion industry. Magazines and models have no bearing on my life because I am super old (lol). I can see how young impressionable people may feel compelled to follow the fashion industry (or celebrities/fake celebrities) so she can set a good example for healthy women with curves. I'm fortunate that my teen daughter knows she's gorgeous, smart, and nice and doesn't strive to be really thin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    IMO she looks much better than the 'regular size' models. By far.

But it's not a surprise, I mean, have you seen the models for Lane Bryant and other plus size stores? They're probably a size 10 too... Heck the only reason she's a size 10 is because she's tall anyway. If she was my height, she'd probably be a 4.

So ridiculous.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i'm sorry but this is ridiculous.

She is a plus size MODEL. Of course she looks good. this is irrelevant.

I just want to say that this mentality you are talking about is just silly. Listen, the fact of the matter is... 70.2% of people in the united states are overweight. Of that almost half are seriously obese. Let's please drop the "think of the children!" argument, because the fact of the matter is 70% are likely to be fat once they reach adulthood and only 4% may develop an eating disorder during their lifetime.

I'm not okay with models who are clearly suffering from anorexia, but i'm perfectly fine with a healthy model who is a size 0 modeling clothes. The whole reason they are models is because they fill a specific standard of beauty. They are generally their size because this is how clothing designers want their outfits portrayed (draped). And this is really only in high-fashion modeling.
    VS-Angels-victorias-secret-angels-17732678-1154-778.jpg

Look at the angels... notice anything similar?

there are plenty of models whom we would consider "normal" size who model clothing, do advertisements, and more.

What we don't need is people confusing the fact that the above women is modeling plus size clothing (size 10). It is what it is.

More and more as we get fatter and fatter as a society we are becoming more and more conditioned to seeing very large people all the time. this is not how human bodies were designed. Period. Why do they pick a woman who wears a size 10 as their plus size model vs someone who is "actually fat" like, say, tess holiday?

Because she is still an appropriately sized human being within a healthy weight range. Her proportions fit her body. She has the desired hourglass shape which highlights the clothing she wears. Her body is still young and glowing. And she radiates health.

If we had genuinely obese people modeling clothing, quite frankly no one would buy anything. Models don't sell us the clothing; they sell us the idea of how we'll look in the clothing.

It's also important to mention that as we have low body fat the variations seen in body type are very very minimal. this means that a small model of similar height will look the same as other models of similar height which means they portray clothing the same.

The fatter you get the more body type is apparent, no two fat people hold fat in the exact same places. What does that mean? it means that they cannot model plus size clothing consistently as clothing makers cannot make clothing that looks consistent on fatter people. Someone may hold their fat in the stomach, legs, butt, chest, etc. Clothing therefore has to be tailored to their specific body measurements.

Let's next talk about the fact that a model like myla can actually show off women's clothing. Whereas someone like tess:

dfc1527ee28996648f3953f43b377405.jpg
    aacb27ce5ce5217d532ec8dce01ce657.jpg
    16018d4c524e1827fce9576c96a14845.jpg

You can see they have to use posing manipulation to get her to actually show the clothing and not just look like a giant blob. You'll commonly see side shots, hand on the hip to accentuate a false waist, leg popped out to the side to accentuate a false curve, feet apart to give the illusion of an hourglass figure, and more. Someone like tess cannot even stand with feet together, with arms straight at the side, etc. like myla can because her anatomy doesn't even allow it. See Below for an example:

gallery-1446148637-gettyimages-487650412.jpg

The fact is, they will always pick someone like Myla to model plus size clothing instead of someone who is obese because her body type MODELS better than someone who is obese. She sells the idea, she drapes clothing, her body radiates beauty and health.

As far as models which are "too skinny", there are more and more regulations being put into place to keep models who are TOO thin off the runways. Being too-thin is now less desirable. This doesn't mean we should have "average people" models (for the reasons i provided). And it doesn't mean that plus size isn't plus size just because the model is not visibly "fat".

edit: my point is the whole point of a models job is to make clothing look good and to be beautiful but not too distracting. They will always pick women who show clothing the best and who represent the "beauty" they are trying to project. You will not see "average" looking people, older people, the "dad bod", the obese, the unhealthy, the crippled, and more selling high end clothing because it does not reflect the artistic vision for these items.

Is it OK if we think she's pretty? :headscratch:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

I just want to say that this mentality you are talking about is just silly. Listen, the fact of the matter is... 70.2% of people in the united states are overweight. Of that almost half are seriously obese. Let's please drop the "think of the children!" argument, because the fact of the matter is 70% are likely to be fat once they reach adulthood and only 4% may develop an eating disorder during their lifetime.

I'm not okay with models who are clearly suffering from anorexia, but i'm perfectly fine with a healthy model who is a size 0 modeling clothes. The whole reason they are models is because they fill a specific standard of beauty. They are generally their size because this is how clothing designers want their outfits portrayed (draped). And this is really only in high-fashion modeling.

there are plenty of models whom we would consider "normal" size who model clothing, do advertisements, and more.

What we don't need is people confusing the fact that the above women is modeling plus size clothing (size 10). It is what it is.

More and more as we get fatter and fatter as a society we are becoming more and more conditioned to seeing very large people all the time. this is not how human bodies were designed. Period. Why do they pick a woman who wears a size 10 as their plus size model vs someone who is "actually fat" like, say, tess holiday?

Because she is still an appropriately sized human being within a healthy weight range. Her proportions fit her body. She has the desired hourglass shape which highlights the clothing she wears. Her body is still young and glowing. And she radiates health.

If we had genuinely obese people modeling clothing, quite frankly no one would buy anything. Models don't sell us the clothing; they sell us the idea of how we'll look in the clothing.

It's also important to mention that as we have low body fat the variations seen in body type are very very minimal. this means that a small model of similar height will look the same as other models of similar height which means they portray clothing the same.

The fatter you get the more body type is apparent, no two fat people hold fat in the exact same places. What does that mean? it means that they cannot model plus size clothing consistently as clothing makers cannot make clothing that looks consistent on fatter people. Someone may hold their fat in the stomach, legs, butt, chest, etc. Clothing therefore has to be tailored to their specific body measurements.

Let's next talk about the fact that a model like myla can actually show off women's clothing. Whereas someone like tess:

You can see they have to use posing manipulation to get her to actually show the clothing and not just look like a giant blob. You'll commonly see side shots, hand on the hip to accentuate a false waist, leg popped out to the side to accentuate a false curve, feet apart to give the illusion of an hourglass figure, and more. Someone like tess cannot even stand with feet together, with arms straight at the side, etc. like myla can because her anatomy doesn't even allow it. See Below for an example:

The fact is, they will always pick someone like Myla to model plus size clothing instead of someone who is obese because her body type MODELS better than someone who is obese. She sells the idea, she drapes clothing, her body radiates beauty and health.

As far as models which are "too skinny", there are more and more regulations being put into place to keep models who are TOO thin off the runways. Being too-thin is now less desirable. This doesn't mean we should have "average people" models (for the reasons i provided). And it doesn't mean that plus size isn't plus size just because the model is not visibly "fat".

edit: my point is the whole point of a models job is to make clothing look good and to be beautiful but not too distracting. They will always pick women who show clothing the best and who represent the "beauty" they are trying to project. You will not see "average" looking people, older people, the "dad bod", the obese, the unhealthy, the crippled, and more selling high end clothing because it does not reflect the artistic vision for these items.

obviously? like i said... she's a model isn't she?

I was only addressing the nonsense from the original post.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Ah, gotcha.

I'm glad you brought up Tess. I don't know what to think of her, but it seems to me like she's the one that we should be having a conversation about.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Nonsense from original post? I do not think you understood me at all. I was addressing the fact that woman with BMI 21 is being called PLUS, big and similar. Their model from previous campaign in 1.8 m tall and 50 kg (BMI 16.5). I'm not say we should have overweight models (this one is not) I'm saying not to put UNDERWEIGHT models.

And about angels, just because you think they look healthy does not mean that they actually are:

Adriana Lima BMI 17.6
    Alessandra Ambrosio BMI 16.5
    Behati Prinslo BMI 16.7

.... for more: http://thevsangelz.tumblr.com/measurements-and-description

And they are one of the more 'normal looking' models around. Being underweight carries many health risks. Actually it is healthier to be couple kg overweight rather than underweight.
    I am basically saying they should not be promoting anything unhealthy.

She is big because of her height and the fact that she wear size 10 clothing. not because she's fat. She IS plus sized.

And as stated, they need models to be thin because they actually "model" clothing. And as stated, yet again, 70% of people are overweight, 35% are OBESE. The measly 4% of women who *may* develop an eating disorder in their lifetime is NOTHING compared to the damaging health effects of obesity on our society.

I'm not saying anorexic models are good, i'm saying that we shouldn't have "normal" looking high fashion models because it makes no sense.