Calvin Klein 'PLUS SIZE' model

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    It's Calvin Klein, not Torrid or Lane Bryant. Of COURSE size 10 is plus-sized. The fact that it's (sadly) also the new "normal" doesn't change the fact that Calvin Klein -- like most mainstream designers -- has always used very thin models.

Also, her chin does in fact need some de-emphasizing (which it's received in most of her pics). It's almost like models aren't paragons of aesthetic perfection and require some Photoshopping, just like you and me. Just as it's been for decades with airbrushing.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't care what clothes look like on a size 0 model (which for my size would be size what... -4? considering that they are tall AND size 0). It's not what it will look like on me. What I want to see is what it will look on normal people... that will save me the trouble of having to try out clothes that will inevitably look awful on me.

Congratulations -- Calvin Klein ads aren't geared towards you. I ride a motorcycle and am not fabulously wealthy, so Lamborghini ads aren't geared towards me, but it's never occurred to me to complain about it.
    It makes no sense to have normal looking models? ... Do they have to be borderline anorexic?

Does it really make you feel better about yourself to call thin people "borderline anorexic"?

Huh why not? I have Calvin Klein clothes (workout clothes in fine). Size S actually. And I'm a size 6, and I'm nowhere as thin as that 'plus size' model.

So if their ads are not geared towards me, well... I have to wonder who they are geared for?

I'm not even going to get into the Tess debate, there have been threads about her, and they ended up badly.. lol.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i'm sorry but this is ridiculous.

She is a plus size MODEL. Of course she looks good. this is irrelevant.

I just want to say that this mentality you are talking about is just silly. Listen, the fact of the matter is... 70.2% of people in the united states are overweight. Of that almost half are seriously obese. Let's please drop the "think of the children!" argument, because the fact of the matter is 70% are likely to be fat once they reach adulthood and only 4% may develop an eating disorder during their lifetime.

I'm not okay with models who are clearly suffering from anorexia, but i'm perfectly fine with a healthy model who is a size 0 modeling clothes. The whole reason they are models is because they fill a specific standard of beauty. They are generally their size because this is how clothing designers want their outfits portrayed (draped). And this is really only in high-fashion modeling.
    VS-Angels-victorias-secret-angels-17732678-1154-778.jpg

Look at the angels... notice anything similar?

there are plenty of models whom we would consider "normal" size who model clothing, do advertisements, and more.

What we don't need is people confusing the fact that the above women is modeling plus size clothing (size 10). It is what it is.

More and more as we get fatter and fatter as a society we are becoming more and more conditioned to seeing very large people all the time. this is not how human bodies were designed. Period. Why do they pick a woman who wears a size 10 as their plus size model vs someone who is "actually fat" like, say, tess holiday?

Because she is still an appropriately sized human being within a healthy weight range. Her proportions fit her body. She has the desired hourglass shape which highlights the clothing she wears. Her body is still young and glowing. And she radiates health.

If we had genuinely obese people modeling clothing, quite frankly no one would buy anything. Models don't sell us the clothing; they sell us the idea of how we'll look in the clothing.

It's also important to mention that as we have low body fat the variations seen in body type are very very minimal. this means that a small model of similar height will look the same as other models of similar height which means they portray clothing the same.

The fatter you get the more body type is apparent, no two fat people hold fat in the exact same places. What does that mean? it means that they cannot model plus size clothing consistently as clothing makers cannot make clothing that looks consistent on fatter people. Someone may hold their fat in the stomach, legs, butt, chest, etc. Clothing therefore has to be tailored to their specific body measurements.

Let's next talk about the fact that a model like myla can actually show off women's clothing. Whereas someone like tess:

dfc1527ee28996648f3953f43b377405.jpg
    aacb27ce5ce5217d532ec8dce01ce657.jpg
    16018d4c524e1827fce9576c96a14845.jpg

You can see they have to use posing manipulation to get her to actually show the clothing and not just look like a giant blob. You'll commonly see side shots, hand on the hip to accentuate a false waist, leg popped out to the side to accentuate a false curve, feet apart to give the illusion of an hourglass figure, and more. Someone like tess cannot even stand with feet together, with arms straight at the side, etc. like myla can because her anatomy doesn't even allow it. See Below for an example:

gallery-1446148637-gettyimages-487650412.jpg

The fact is, they will always pick someone like Myla to model plus size clothing instead of someone who is obese because her body type MODELS better than someone who is obese. She sells the idea, she drapes clothing, her body radiates beauty and health.

As far as models which are "too skinny", there are more and more regulations being put into place to keep models who are TOO thin off the runways. Being too-thin is now less desirable. This doesn't mean we should have "average people" models (for the reasons i provided). And it doesn't mean that plus size isn't plus size just because the model is not visibly "fat".

edit: my point is the whole point of a models job is to make clothing look good and to be beautiful but not too distracting. They will always pick women who show clothing the best and who represent the "beauty" they are trying to project. You will not see "average" looking people, older people, the "dad bod", the obese, the unhealthy, the crippled, and more selling high end clothing because it does not reflect the artistic vision for these items.

Is it OK if we think she's pretty? :headscratch:

obviously? like i said... she's a model isn't she?

I was only addressing the nonsense from the original post.

Ah, gotcha.

I'm glad you brought up Tess. I don't know what to think of her, but it seems to me like she's the one that we should be having a conversation about.

Again no...I wasn't trying to talk about actual PLUS sizes... I was just pointing out this healthy weight woman who wears regular size (10) and not plus size clothes being referred to as PLUS. I think that people who can walk into regular clothes shop and find fitting clothes can't be referred to as PLUS size. And pointing out that their usual models are BMI 16 and terribly underweight so no wonder healthy weight woman looks BIG to them now. And hiring underweight models promotes being underweight as a beauty standard.

S'okay. I agree with you. I'd love to see more models like Myla.

Me too!
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The fashion industry just wants "clothes hangers". Thin girls are easier to use for the designers to show the clothes. I understand that. But a normal sized woman won't look the same in them!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Synacious, there isn't anything wrong with having lower BMI. Everyone should be free to find clothing for where they are on the BMI charts.
  • jalynwatson21
    jalynwatson21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel that this is should be just what is expected for the fashion industry, neither good or bad. In fact, this is my favorite from any body-positivity campaign. A healthy woman was chosen. Neither overweight or underweight. Not saying those body types are an indicator of health by the way.

Models are a mannequin almost. Their job is to show off the clothes the majority of the time. Makeup and hair is done either minimally or flamboyantly to accentuate what is there with the clothing. The models are smaller to not be distracting. From what I know, most high fashion models are picked for having very normal features because it wouldn't take anything away from the clothes. My ex was a clothing designer for major brands, and this is just what she told me. If anyone could provide additional information to this, go ahead.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    The fashion industry just wants "clothes hangers". Thin girls are easier to use for the designers to show the clothes. I understand that. But a normal sized woman won't look the same in them!

That's not the point of designer clothes though. They're selling aspiration mostly.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    She's yummyyummy
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I've never understood how someone size 10 can model "plus size clothes" when plus size starts at a 14. So do they make a special outfit smaller just for her to model? If so, that's got to cost more money! It's stupid IMO.

They clip it for photos. Not many plus size retailers do runway shows.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    And clipping is why they use a slightly smaller than the smallest size of the range model, to ensure they will fit the garment. A someone else pointed out, there's a far broader range of body types and body shape variance the larger you get so you want to make sure that the person you book can get into everything you need them too. Cost saving. Same principal as sample sizes at the smaller end.
  • trinateegardens
    trinateegardens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The plus size magazines I order from, Roamans and Woman Within, use mostly rail thin women. They may show one woman who probably wears a 16 in the whole catalog. To me, that is giving a big girl a false image of what she is going to look like when she orders that outfit, because they alter the clothes and tuck them up to fit those skinny women. I have ordered from them for years and years and the clothes have never fit me like they fit the skinny girls, they jut hang on me!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    And another afterthought, plus size in the UK starts at 16/US12.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

That's not the point of designer clothes though. They're selling aspiration mostly.

High fashion perhaps could be more extreme, but catalog models should be able to be a bit more average sized, IMO.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    ScottF83 wrote: »
    She's yummyyummy

Thank you for contributing to the conversation.

Lol. He is appreciative.
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything is wrong with the low BMI women at all. If that person actually had a health issue due to it I would be concerned. However I don't associate low BMI women with eating disorders.

I still think what I stated above that a size 10 model should not be called plus size, she's not.

Just would like to see more more women like Myla modeling without being referred to as plus size. She gives me a more accurate idea of what clothes would look like on me, rather than someone a lot smaller.