Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Poll : Traditional Gym or Boutique/Studio Gym?

Options
CincyNeid
CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
edited July 2016 in Debate Club
When you go to workout what do you prefer to go to?

A Traditional Gym, weights, treadmills, elliptical where you workout solo or higher a trainer .... That kind of thing.

OR

Do you prefer a modern Boutique/Studio style gym. OrangeTheory, CycleBar, Peloton Cycle, SoulCycle, Local Barre/Yoga/PiYo Studio... Instructor lead class based.

And why do you prefer that method?

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    As an adult, I've never had experience with the latter, so I'll go with a traditional gym. Granted, however, I workout at home.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Definitely traditional. I hate group classes. But I'm kinda anti-social, so....
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Traditional. Not much into group classes, I want to put my headphones on & be left alone with the weights.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Barbells, plates, a power cage, a bench, and grunting, sweating, and swearing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If those were the only 2 choices I'd probably prefer the Boutique/Studio style. I've never tried either though so that's a total guess.

Edit: forgot to answer the 'why' part. I think I'd probably enjoy the class structure more and I'd like the option of attending different types of classes. I tend to get bored with exercise after a while and like to mix it up.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym that my company pays for me to go to. Because - Free.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I second or third the garage gym.
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Barbells, plates, a power cage, a bench, and grunting, sweating, and swearing.

this^
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Traditional.

I'd be thrilled to have a garage gym, but there's not enough room in mine and no air conditioning. I'm willing to sweat while running outside in 90+ temps, but not to lift in temps higher than 75.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There's an Orange Theory gym on the next block from my apartment. That's hugely appealing because I hate driving in the city. I've been meaning to go talk to them and see what they offer, exactly. Beth beat me to the punch, she came home and told me "You can't go to that gym. It's too cultish."
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Boutique/studio. I love taking classes. The class and instructor quality tends to be infinitely better at studios than gyms in my experience. Also, there are so many different studios by me that I can always find a class that fits my schedule. I find doing gym cardio alone is super boring. I'd rather run outside. I used to lift a lot, but I'm not really into that anymore. I've always found gyms to be boring.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Neither, I prefer home.
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Both. I go to a pilates studio and take classes and have sessions on the equipment. The owner is becoming a friend. The gym is nice and anonymous, but very limited pilates.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Both, I go to a studio to do Krav Maga, and a gym to do lifting at the gym.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Traditional, I like it because I can do my own thing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I want the one that looks the most like a dungeon.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly buying weights for the house. I don't like to pay money to use something that will never be mine, especially if I have to share it with others.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    YMCA. Access to more weights and machine than I could find elsewhere, plus trainers when I need them, plus indoir track when I want to add running for cardio or in the winter.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Traditional or Powerlifting. If there aren't a few squat racks, dumbbells, barbells, and a place to deadlift I can't get down.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    On homegyms: Do it. A good barbell gym for the house - if you've got a ten foot square to put it in - is about the same price as a crossfit gym for a year. Mine all told has cost about USD 1500.

n1aa5c8uj57q.jpg