why am i NOT loosing weight what's going on???

Options
13»

Replies

• jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb with the database is, "If multiple entries exist, and I am unsure what the calorie count in the item is, go with the highest calorie entry."

The desire is to grab the lowest entry, thinking we are hacking the system and sneaking a few free calories..but it really is going against the diet.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Another vote for your logging being way off. Weighing food is the best way to ensure accuracy, yes, but not when you're going to choose horrible generic entries from the database. Honestly most of this really doesn't seem like it comes from barcodes. Those calories for meat, fish, and poultry are wishful thinking at best. You're eating more than you think you are.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating wheat. I was plateaued and read a book about wheat and how it affects the body. Since I stopped eating it 4 months ago I have dropped weight like crazy. Also be sure to exercise.

This isn't necessary unless OP has a medical condition...
  • Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A guy eating 1200-1300 cals equals a huge deficit. I can't imagine logging errors could close that kind of gap? If it's been a few weeks and you have been truly been diligent with your logging then you may need to visit the doctor.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    A guy eating 1200-1300 cals equals a huge deficit. I can't imagine logging errors could close that kind of gap? If it's been a few weeks and you have been truly been diligent with your logging then you may need to visit the doctor.

It could when he's logging 300+ calorie cuts of meat as 80 calories.
  • Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

So he hasn't been diligent with logging.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything you drink as well as everything you eat? Even the sugar in your coffee/tea?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    FWIW, my body often needs adjustment time to any change. Stay the course and Id bet you'll son see a giant whoosh.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    How long have you been at this?

June 6th but only started using Myfitnesspal about 3 weeks ago. I must add that i stared this diet because i got severely dehydrated crossing a desert in 110 degrees for 4 hours on my motorcycle. It was severe enough to cause kidney shutdown. was in the hospital for 3 day on Antibiotics, morphine, potassium and IV. So for me is loose weight and get in shape or stop doing the type of rides i like.

I'm sorry, but I'm missing the connection between being overweight and getting dehydrated crossing a desert in 110 degrees for four hours on your motorcycle. It seems far more likely that the lesson should have been to drink liquids with electrolytes when you're out in the desert.

Also, if this hospital stay was just prior to your starting your diet, it's very possible some weight loss is being masked by continued rehydration. Three days doesn't seem like a very long hospital stay in the wake of kidney shutdown, although it's probably all insurance covers, so you likely were far from 100% when they sent you home.

Did you consult with a physician before jumping straight from kidney shutdown to a restricted calorie, low-carb (and thus likely high-protein) diet? It seems like something you should have sought medical advice on.
  • txBen01
    txBen01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Are you logging everything you drink as well as everything you eat? Even the sugar in your coffee/tea?
    deksgrl wrote: »
    How long have you been at this?

June 6th but only started using Myfitnesspal about 3 weeks ago. I must add that i stared this diet because i got severely dehydrated crossing a desert in 110 degrees for 4 hours on my motorcycle. It was severe enough to cause kidney shutdown. was in the hospital for 3 day on Antibiotics, morphine, potassium and IV. So for me is loose weight and get in shape or stop doing the type of rides i like.

I'm sorry, but I'm missing the connection between being overweight and getting dehydrated crossing a desert in 110 degrees for four hours on your motorcycle. It seems far more likely that the lesson should have been to drink liquids with electrolytes when you're out in the desert.

Also, if this hospital stay was just prior to your starting your diet, it's very possible some weight loss is being masked by continued dehydration. Three days doesn't seem like a very long hospital stay in the wake of kidney shutdown, although it's probably all insurance covers, so you likely were far from 100% when they sent you home.

Did you consult with a physician before jumping straight from kidney shutdown to a restricted calorie, low-carb (and thus likely high-protein) diet? It seems like something you should have sought medical advice on.

:-) yes My doctor is the one that told me to go on MFP, I had to drink a lot of water for at least 2 weeks after to help in not getting an infection. and after the 2 weeks I have kept up with my water intake as per MFP suggestions. Yes i agree water intake was not sufficient but being overweight but it did not help. That for me was the time i decided to do something about it. I am 90% sure if i had not been overweight it would not have been that bad. :-) just my gut instinct.
  • txBen01
    Options
    As mentioned i weigh every thing and mostly use bar code for the fish chicken and beef. The entry yesterday for the butterfly porc chop and this morning were manual because the bar code on the pack did not work. Same with lunch i was at a restaurant with a friend i had the house salad with Thousand Island dressing when i got home had no choice but to guesstimate that one. Honestly i do scan just about every thing unless i can not find it.

I am actually very surprised and please with the amount of help i am getting from users this is great. I guess i really have to double check everything now :-) I sampled 4 grilled chicken for lunch as a test and got 4 different answer :-)))
  • txBen01
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

So he hasn't been diligent with logging.

:-) I have or at least thought i had been very very diligent with logging scanning and weighing (digital scale) but I am learning as i am going :-)
  • txBen01
    Options
    P.S. :-) I am not on any medication whatsoever, I have no medical condition, I have not allergies to anything, my BP on average at each visit to the doctor is 124 85 not great butttt :-) not bad either
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Can you open your diary so we can see your log? We would likely be able to help you better if we could do that.

I have made my diet pubic now. .

hehehehee
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    txBen01 wrote: »
    As mentioned i weigh every thing and mostly use bar code for the fish chicken and beef. The entry yesterday for the butterfly porc chop and this morning were manual because the bar code on the pack did not work. Same with lunch i was at a restaurant with a friend i had the house salad with Thousand Island dressing when i got home had no choice but to guesstimate that one. Honestly i do scan just about every thing unless i can not find it.

I am actually very surprised and please with the amount of help i am getting from users this is great. I guess i really have to double check everything now :-) I sampled 4 grilled chicken for lunch as a test and got 4 different answer :-)))

I have never used the barcode scanner, but I would guess this:

Barcodes on meat from the grocery store are created by the store, not by some central organization. So they're not the same kind of barcode as the barcode on a box of oreos or bag of chips. If you scan a mass-produced Kraft product barcode, I bet the database takes you right to the right entry.

But if you scan the barcode on a package of Kroger pork chops, it is just going to get "pork chops" and it is PROBABLY no different than if I type in "pork chops" into the search window. And when I do that, I get a gazillion options - some of them raw, some cooked, some "prepared" with flavorings and sauces, some "boiled, drained, with salt." I get "pork chops with bone" and "pork Chops, Sainsbury's with candied yams."

So MFP isn't really letting you down, its the fact that plain ingredients that aren't coming out of specific factories need to be looked up carefully and you need to learn which entries are good and which ones reflect what you've actually bought and are eating.