Kettlebells

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Dicks Sporting Goods has a set with 5, 8, & 10lb kettle bells for $50.
  • pefal1
    pefal1 Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2016
    Is doing kettlebell workouts okay as your primary workout? I have been doing them 5-6 days a week for a half hour a day. I also have researched them quite a bit and most sites say you burn 20 cal per min. During kettlebell routines do you think that is accurate?
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    edited July 2016
    I guess it depends upon what you are doing in those workouts. I'm currently focused on strength but when I've done fat loss programs in the past 30 min was about as long as you go since to go longer you must reduce intensity to save yourself. If you are doing 30 min of complexes with swings, squatting, overhead lifts with rests that keeps your heart rate high and requiring discipline to control your breath you are doing plenty. I currently train 5 days per week but Tue and Thu are grinds with no metcon; Turkish get-ups, one leg dead lifts, loaded carries with rests that keep my heart rate below aerobic levels. At age 66 I would have recovery issues with 5 days of metcon. That was a rambling way of saying yes, kettlebells can be primary.

If you are a bit masochistic you can try this if you know what you are doing with swings. I'd recommend some coaching but the BIG THING is that there is maximum flex at the hips and minimum at the knees with a neutral spine. A swing is not a squat and if you do lots of squaty swings you'll end up hurt. [I'm not actually recommending 300 swings a day if you are a beginner (less than a year)]

Are you doing someone's program? Which one?
  • susancudworth
    susancudworth Posts: 11 Member
    I've been running 3 times a week and using kettle bells twice a week plus yoga once a week. I've not be using them that long so I've not seen much impact muscle wise for toning yet but I am definitely getting fitter and stronger. I've been using the Body Fit by Amy HIIT routine on You Tube. It's a 25 minute workout. I love kettlebells too.
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    I did a kettle bell workout for the first time last week at the gym as part of a HIIT workout! Enjoyable :)
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    I love my kettlebells and get a great high intensity weight workout with them. I found a great deal on a 20 and 25 lb set for $53 on amazon and they had a pretty good selection of other weights/sets, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Kettlebell-lbs-set/dp/B00A8CCCU6/ref=sr_1_23?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1467534735&sr=1-23&keywords=kettlebells
  • pefal1
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    I guess it depends upon what you are doing in those workouts. I'm currently focused on strength but when I've done fat loss programs in the past 30 min was about as long as you go since to go longer you must reduce intensity to save yourself. If you are doing 30 min of complexes with swings, squatting, overhead lifts with rests that keeps your heart rate high and requiring discipline to control your breath you are doing plenty. I currently train 5 days per week but Tue and Thu are grinds with no metcon; Turkish get-ups, one leg dead lifts, loaded carries with rests that keep my heart rate below aerobic levels. At age 66 I would have recovery issues with 5 days of metcon. That was a rambling way of saying yes, kettlebells can be primary.

If you are a bit masochistic you can try this if you know what you are doing with swings. I'd recommend some coaching but the BIG THING is that there is maximum flex at the hips and minimum at the knees with a neutral spine. A swing is not a squat and if you do lots of squaty swings you'll end up hurt. [I'm not actually recommending 300 swings a day if you are a beginner (less than a year)]

Are you doing someone's program? Which one?

I have been doing HIIT workouts so yes they are high intensity with little to no break and you can feel your heart rate up the whole time. I bought a 12 lb kettlebell but it just doesn't seem heavy enough for me. I feel like I get a good sweaty workout when I use the 12 lb but I don't feel like it's a major challenge. I have always had strong arms though. Think I need to up my weight?
  • dlm7507
    "Standard" kettlebell sizes go up in 8 KG (17.6 LB) steps 16, 24, 32 KG, etc. but you can get half sizes 12, 20, 28 KG so the step from one kettlebell is 4 KG or 8.8 LBs. No adding a 1.25 LB plate. This is a significant step 12 to 16 KG is a 33% increase. To aid in keeping it progressive I use ladders. Sets of (2, 3, 5) reps repeated. When that gets easy, (3, 5, 7), then (5, 7, 8) then (5, 7, 8, 10) then bigger bell nd back to (2, 3, 5). For swings it would be (10) then (10, 15) then (10, 15, 20) etc. People who train with sandbags do this too. This method help you move up to progressively heavier bells.

Women can be strong. If you have facebook, search for "Iron Body By Artemis" for some inspiration.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    pefal1 wrote: »
    Yes I am, alongside running. Have got really good results from doing kettlebells so far!

how many days per week are you running and how many days are you using your kettlebell?
    What weight are you using?

Sorry for late reply, only just seen this. I run three times a week and I do kettlebells three times a week, a proper class once a week, and the other two times following BodyFit by Amy on youtube. I use a 8kg and a 12kg(when I started I was just using a 6kg but quickly progressed).
  • mamacita99
    mamacita99 Posts: 66 Member
    Love KB - I did the Kettleworx program and it is the ONLY 12 week program I've ever finished. It's a great set of dvds if you can buy them. I just bought Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30 min dvd's. One uses kettlebell, one uses weights. I absolutely love them. It's a 30 min routine, and for someone starting out it's fairly simple moves, but you do sweat, and you will hurt the next day....but that's how you know it's working right?! In two weeks I plan to buy a treadmill, and I will be doing both running and kettlebell workout.
  • pefal1
    pefal1 wrote: »
    Yes I am, alongside running. Have got really good results from doing kettlebells so far!

how many days per week are you running and how many days are you using your kettlebell?
    What weight are you using?

Sorry for late reply, only just seen this. I run three times a week and I do kettlebells three times a week, a proper class once a week, and the other two times following BodyFit by Amy on youtube. I use a 8kg and a 12kg(when I started I was just using a 6kg but quickly progressed).

What does this class consist of? I have been doing some of the bodyfit by Amy videos I usually do two at a time. And I run twice I week I wish I could run more but by the time I get a chance it's dark. Lol
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    The class is an instructor leading a 45 minute workout split into three sections. She has music playing and she mixes the workout up each time, I absolutely love it. It's a lot harder than the videos too!
  • KetoneKaren
    I just read some reviews and listened to some videos on kettlebells and the consensus seems to be that the 5, 8, and 10 lb set I mentioned in my earlier post that is sold at Dick's Sporting Goods is not the best type to get because the weights may not be centered correctly and may be unstable when you set them down. Sorry, it seems the classic kettlebells and the competition kettlebells are the best ones depending on your preference.
  • balibee146
    balibee146 Posts: 127 Member
    I had great results with kettlebells, major fat loss and got a great shape, big gains in endurance and decent strength gain, plus I loved the functional aspect of the movements and how they translate to real world activities e.g. hauling heaving bags, lifting toddlers on one side etc. I love bells and am about to dust mine off after a oeriod of forced inactivity :-)
  • pefal1
    edited July 2016
    I just read some reviews and listened to some videos on kettlebells and the consensus seems to be that the 5, 8, and 10 lb set I mentioned in my earlier post that is sold at Dick's Sporting Goods is not the best type to get because the weights may not be centered correctly and may be unstable when you set them down. Sorry, it seems the classic kettlebells and the competition kettlebells are the best ones depending on your preference. ********** this is the one I have. This ones the goood kind? The first kettlebell in bought was purse shaped and used it for a couple days and returned it bc i decided to get the classic shaped one and the purse shaped one didn't seem quite as difficult to use I guess bc all the weight wasn't centered like the one I have now.

• almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    I bought a set of 5/10/15 lb kettlebells from Amazon for $30; I figured it was a decent price to switch up my workout. I just finished a 30 minute workout, which was fun and made me sweat a lot more than I expected. The problem is that when I tried to look it up online to log it, the calorie burn numbers seem grossly inflated. I see "20 calories per minute" thrown around a lot, but those words "UP TO" give me pause. Does anyone know a more realistic figure?
  • KetoneKaren
    @pefal1 Yes I think that is the right shape, but I am a beginner...
  • pefal1
    I bought a set of 5/10/15 lb kettlebells from Amazon for $30; I figured it was a decent price to switch up my workout. I just finished a 30 minute workout, which was fun and made me sweat a lot more than I expected. The problem is that when I tried to look it up online to log it, the calorie burn numbers seem grossly inflated. I see "20 calories per minute" thrown around a lot, but those words "UP TO" give me pause. Does anyone know a more realistic figure?

• dlm7507
    I purposefully understate calories burned so I don't think, "Hey, now I get to eat more." ;0)