Let me get this straight...

Options
sizco25
sizco25 Posts: 18 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So... MFP has set up a calorie limit of 2630 cals a day thats with losing 2 lbs a week.. so i can pretty much eat anything i want as long im in my calories i will lose weight?

Replies

• twistedwoman
    twistedwoman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Gosh I wish I had an allowance of 2630!!! What did you set your activity level to??
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    sizco25 wrote: »
    So... MFP has set up a calorie limit of 2630 cals a day thats with losing 2 lbs a week.. so i can pretty much eat anything i want as long im in my calories i will lose weight?

If your active and your calorie goal justifies that much then yes.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As long as you pick accurate database entries, are accurate about the portions you are consuming, selected the correct activity level for your day to day life (without exercise), then yes. The key thing is that you have to be accurate. For accurate food portions a food scale is best, then comes measuring cups, then a rough guide using your hands, and the worst is just eyeballing. Always double check the food entries you use. There is a lot of inaccurate stuff in the database (even verified entries can be very very wrong) and just because you use the barcode scanner doesn't mean it pulls up the correct information.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will probably find that some foods keep you more satiated than others. For me that is protein . Eating foods that keep you full longer will help you to stick to your goal. But there is no reason to cut out foods that you love. You just have to fit them into your goal. I could eat a donut every morning for breakfast and fit it in, but I don't because I would be hungry soon after and a couple of eggs with fruit and Greek yogurt keeps me full until lunch. I would also recommend getting a digital food scale if you don't have one. You can get one for $15 - $20 at Walmart or Target. Weigh everything that is not liquid and only use measuring cups for liquids. That way you will know that you are eating the number of calories you think you are. Good luck!
  • ManateToMermaid
    ManateToMermaid Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So long as your calories aren't made up of Big Macs
  • nhguy78
    nhguy78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water or sodium buildup will make you store water.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    but no sugar!!! sugar is evil and poison! and it's addictive. and it will make you fat. even a teaspoon. ;)

:laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    but no sugar!!! sugar is evil and poison! and it's addictive. and it will make you fat. even a teaspoon. ;)

Can confirm, had a gummy bear just now and I ruined 2 years of progress.

:laugh:
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That's a very high number for 2lb per week. Make sure you haven't overestimated your activity level, that's activity outside of exercise. Without knowing height, weight and job it's difficult to confirm.

You could eat less calories and speed up your losses if you are not struggling with hunger.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sizco25 wrote: »

I would advise against eating stuff that you don't like, or food that's gone off, but other than that, Yep that's pretty much how it works
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Yes. You will probably find that some foods keep you more satiated than others. For me that is protein . Eating foods that keep you full longer will help you to stick to your goal. But there is no reason to cut out foods that you love. You just have to fit them into your goal. I could eat a donut every morning for breakfast and fit it in, but I don't because I would be hungry soon after and a couple of eggs with fruit and Greek yogurt keeps me full until lunch.

I would also recommend getting a digital food scale if you don't have one. You can get one for $15 - $20 at Walmart or Target. Weigh everything that is not liquid and only use measuring cups for liquids. That way you will know that you are eating the number of calories you think you are. Good luck!

Great advice. I also focus on eating protein (and fiber) as these keep me full and make it easier to stay within my calorie budget.

I love my digital scale - when I used to use cups I never knew how tightly to fill them and the scale eliminates this issue as well as having to wash cups.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'd double check all of the entries....make sure I didn't add 200lb or 3 m in height and my activity was right and if it was alright then eat what you like in the calories set.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't work that way for you, you will have either mismeasured your calories in or overestimated you calories out. Wait a month or so, check how many pounds are coming off per week and adjust accordingly.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Looking at your picture you shouldn't be trying to lose 2lbs a week.

just saying.

As I have to step out, there are other long time posters in the thread who can explain why you shouldn't be trying to lose 2lbs a month while you're at a normal weight and fat level.

And certainly your picture does not convey the impression of someone who is overfat.....