Intermittent fasting - 30 pounds lost

Options

Replies

• nyreecatrice
    nyreecatrice Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i would love to do try the IF but i guess i am at a loss as to where to start. on work out days i have no idea how many calories, fats or proteins i should take in? ditto for rest days? is it possible to reset myfitness pal to have it give me calories, fats or proteins goals that are more in line with IF?

• nyreecatrice
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i am female 5" 8 and 160 lbs i would love to be leaner and lose 10 lbs of pudge. any tips would help i am all ears! amy help would be much appreciated.

• nyreecatrice
    edited June 2016
    Options
    so where do i start?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 12 of doing IF. 16/8 as well. I do noon to 8 as a feeding window. Honestly, I just wanted to do it since so many people talk about how much they love it.

I'm enjoying it so far. It can be tough to get 3500 cals in though in 8 hours for me.
  • missmatch76
    missmatch76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I think I will give it a go!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It's official... I sweat more when I workout in the morning (fasting) vs. working out at night (not fasting). I think that has to be a good thing.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    so where do i start?

My advice - keeping in mind that I am only 2 weeks into this and I am not a professional. I suggest starting with the calories that MFP gives you or using a calculator to calculate TDEE. You can use this site (which I am not promoting - I just googled it) https://tdeecalculator.net/

Once you know that you know your calories for a deficit. This is a number you may have to play around with some. It's just a starting point. Then decide how you want to fast (IF). There are lots of ways to do it. Some people do 5:2 and others to 'warrior' and others use 'lean gains' type method. Google these and start with reading and researching first. Make a decision - go from there. I do 16:8 and I eat 11am-7pm. You still have to stay in a caloric deficit. IF is just a structured eating pattern. Fat loss comes from the calorie deficit.

Hope this helps!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!

I usually do an 18 hour fast with a 6 hour window + black coffee and tea in the morning. And eat at my regular deficit. This seems to be my "natural" way of eating, and something I was very happy to return to after I stopped forcing myself to eat breakfast.
    I also have PCOS, and I have a feeling this is part of the reason I've managed to keep blood-sugar/insulin resistance issues at bay, even when I was heavier.
  • sonia9240
    sonia9240 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 180lbs . I lost 40lbs from doing the fasting diet it's great . But I stopped than I gain weight again . I'm fat I don't like it.
  • sonia9240
    sonia9240 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was 185lbs before I lost 40lbs too now I weigh 135lbs but I want to lose more my goal is 125
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @Rebekah_89 I think the general consensus is that black coffee or tea is fine but once you add cream or sugar it starts the "non fasting" portion of your day.
  • CandiesAndSweets
    CandiesAndSweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for posting about this. I've been thinking about doing it, but I was a bit hesitant. I'm so glad I found you feedback. I'm definitely giving this a shot!
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I started I.F. on the 1st, but I'm doing a 4:3 rather than daily fasting periods.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I started I.F. on the 1st, but I'm doing a 4:3 rather than daily fasting periods.

M/W/F fast?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    @Rebekah_89 I think the general consensus is that black coffee or tea is fine but once you add cream or sugar it starts the "non fasting" portion of your day.

I fast drinking coffee WITH cream in my coffee - still losing weight. I read that 50 cals or less keeps the body in 'fasted state'. So I do not add more calories of creamer than that. I have done this since day one and I am still losing weight.

Sounds like this is working perfectly for you!
    I have also read about the 50 calorie guideline for fasting, but I am not sure where it originally came from, the evidence behind it, or what the originator's goals were. If weight loss is the main goal, then of course, a 50-calorie coffee is just a negligible amount of calories and IF is helping you to remain in a calorie deficit.

Or, is 50 calories low enough to not cause an insulin response? The non-weight loss associated health benefits of fasting such as improving insulin resistance, triglycerides/cholesterol, autophagy, etc., are associated with keeping insulin levels very low for an extended period of time. I would think that if you wanted to maximize those benefits, no calories (no insulin) is better, remaining true to a fasted state. I moved myself from taking sweetened creamer in my coffee to a splash of plain milk to nothing. I want no calories and no sweetness (even zero calorie sweeteners) to trigger an insulin response during my fast. I suppose putting only fat into your coffee would be OK (i.e., butter, coconut oil), but nothing with protein or carbs.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on the 50 calorie rule.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!