Meals on the go

Options
Mslee247
Mslee247 Posts: 3 Member
My job requires me to work in the community with no regular meal times. What are some healthy meals to pack and survive in the car without a fridge.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I have a small soft-sided lunch cooler and slip one of those blue travel ice things in it. I could not live on food that was not refrigerated every day. That really limits choices.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use a cooler bag too with a frozen gel pack, but only when I'm at work. If I'm hiking and need healthy snacks/lunch here's what i bring:
    *edamame or other beans that I've seasoned and put chopped red pepper, onions, carrots mixed in
    *protein bars (find ones under 200 cals)
    *pasta salad with veggies (use light italian dressing on it)
    *hummus and crackers or carrot sticks
    *salads with tuna on top (from the pouches)

Like cmriverside said above...it gets really limited unless you have a cooler bag. Stay away from nuts, dried fruits, peanut butter. They are too calorie dense. Is there a Subway nearby. You're going to have to get really creative to not get bored. I admire your dedication to maintain your healthy eating no matter what environment you're in. Good job!
    Your friendly dietitian
  • SJ1OAM
    SJ1OAM Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Food flasks are really good keeps food warm for around 7 hours so if you want a warm lunch can always get it ready in the morning
  • blackvalleyboats
    blackvalleyboats Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    IF you want to make the investment, Yeti coolers are really really good at keeping foods cold in the car. Throw a couple of blue ice packs in of course.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A cooler and the blue ice packs keep food fresh in my trunk in Florida.
    I make the food the night before so that it goes into the cooler already cool.
  • katieince80
    katieince80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I tend to make myself salad variations and if I make sure protein is in there somewhere, it keeps me full all afternoon