How much protein do I really need?

Options

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    According to the most recent World Health Organization technical report on worldwide protein requirements (report series 935), 0.83g/kg bodyweight/day is sufficient for 97.5% of healthy adult males and females. It's based on a meta-analysis of hundreds of studies from several countries, not on the average sedentary first world citizen. Given that the governments most likely to need to change their agricultural or food aid policies based on WHO minimums are in developing countries, whose populations tend to be lean and moderately to very active, it would be unthinkably irresponsible of them to recommend an intake that would cause failure to thrive in a lean active person on a maintenance level calorie intake.

They estimated basal protein requirements at 0.3g/kg/day, average total requirement at .66g/kg/day, and the 97.5th percentile at .83. This would put OP at about 49g per day.

This may or may not be enough to gain lean mass (kidney patients on low protein diets have been shown to be able to build lean mass at 0.8g/kg/day), and it may not be enough during weight loss or extreme activity (as in athletes or those with very physically demanding jobs), but there is no reason to believe it would be insufficient for a moderately active adult at maintenance calorie intake level who is not trying to gain muscle.

Minimal for health has nothing to do with muscle gain/improving body composition. The confusion between minimal for health versus optimal is an endless source of entertainment

I realize this, but wasn't the question "how much protein do I really need?"

I probably misinterpreted, but I thought she was asking for her requirement, not an ideal. (It's a pretty common question for vegetarians) I wasn't trying to imply 49g was optimal, just that it is sufficient.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    According to the most recent World Health Organization technical report on worldwide protein requirements (report series 935), 0.83g/kg bodyweight/day is sufficient for 97.5% of healthy adult males and females. It's based on a meta-analysis of hundreds of studies from several countries, not on the average sedentary first world citizen. Given that the governments most likely to need to change their agricultural or food aid policies based on WHO minimums are in developing countries, whose populations tend to be lean and moderately to very active, it would be unthinkably irresponsible of them to recommend an intake that would cause failure to thrive in a lean active person on a maintenance level calorie intake.

They estimated basal protein requirements at 0.3g/kg/day, average total requirement at .66g/kg/day, and the 97.5th percentile at .83. This would put OP at about 49g per day.

This may or may not be enough to gain lean mass (kidney patients on low protein diets have been shown to be able to build lean mass at 0.8g/kg/day), and it may not be enough during weight loss or extreme activity (as in athletes or those with very physically demanding jobs), but there is no reason to believe it would be insufficient for a moderately active adult at maintenance calorie intake level who is not trying to gain muscle.

Minimal for health has nothing to do with muscle gain/improving body composition. The confusion between minimal for health versus optimal is an endless source of entertainment

I probably misinterpreted, but I thought she was asking for her requirement, not an ideal. (It's a pretty common question for vegetarians) I wasn't trying to imply 49g was optimal, just that it is sufficient.

A vegetarian (not a vegan) can get plenty of protein through foods such as egg whites and dairy (such as low fat Greek yogurt and casien and whey protein supplements). Vegetarian also means she doesn't necessarily need to supplement for B12. If she goes vegan then she'll have a much more difficult time hitting something like 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, but there are vegan protein powders. They just won't have the same bioavailability as casein, whey and meat, so more may be necessary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

This is one of the reasons I was asking about her real goals. We need furthet clarify. But there is a big difference between need and whats best for her goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This is one of the reasons I was asking about her real goals. We need furthet clarify. But there is a big difference between need and whats best for her goals.

Bingo!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

that is the title of the thread...her thread and question actually was...how much should I get...not what I need.

She indicated she was lifting and running/walking/biking and her age height and weight...

based on that...what should she get...100 grams...but 80-90 is good too but not RDA...that is "sufficient" but not enough for someone that active and lifting.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference between surviving and thriving.
    We can survive on the bare minimum of all the macros, but most people, on here at least, have their standards set higher than merely getting by.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I will definitely be upping my protein intake as I was only getting about 40 grams prior to this discussion. I'll aim for 80 but that'll be a big jump. I'm not fond of eggs or yogurt, so this could be a big diet change haha
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I will definitely be upping my protein intake as I was only getting about 40 grams prior to this discussion. I'll aim for 80 but that'll be a big jump. I'm not fond of eggs or yogurt, so this could be a big diet change haha

What about fish? I know you said you didn't like meat much, but you could try fish. Completely different flavor.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »

What about fish? I know you said you didn't like meat much, but you could try fish. Completely different flavor.

What kind of plant do fish come from?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I weigh about 130 pounds, am a female and am 5'5". How many grams of protein should I have daily if I'm moderately active? I run/bike 4 times a week and lift at least 3 times a week too. I'm not looking to put on muscle, just maintain. I'm also a vegetarian so most of my protein has fat too, with the nuts and beans.

legumes don't typically have a lot of fat...neither do lentils or oats or quinoa or a whole host of vegetarian sources of protein.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    "Keep from getting sick?" Lol she'd probably have to have a terrible diet overall or just plain not eating enough calories to "get sick".

you think?

I know people who don't get in enough protein and they are not what I would call healthy but they eat RDA based on what MFP gives them.

Nails peel, hair breaks, lack of muscle tone, hungry a lot...and the list goes on...these are the people who later in life will be in poor health...which can be seen now in our aging population.

I doubt that's just the lack of protein. It's probably a crap diet in general.

• redraidergirl2009
    Options

You don't have to eat eggs or yogurt. I don't because I don't like them. Just try planning around the meals you already eat and add some beans or soy. I recently found edamame pasta which is delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

What kind of plant do do eggs and dairy come from? Vegetarians eat those...and I know many a vegetarian who became pescatarian...

I haven't read anything to indicate that the OP is vegan...that might be your religion, but I haven't read anything here to indicate that it's hers.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What kind of plant do do eggs and dairy come from? Vegetarians eat those...and I know many a vegetarian who became pescatarian...

I haven't read anything to indicate that the OP is vegan...that might be your religion, but I haven't read anything here to indicate that it's hers.

She said she was vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat fish, that's pescartian.

• cwolfman13
    Options

No *kitten* shirlock...I think I addressed that.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Not really, you just said you knew vegetarians that became pescartian. It's just annoying when people assume vegetarians eat fish. I get asked that all the time. I didn't eat fish before I was vegetarian because it was gross.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Not really, you just said you knew vegetarians that became pescartian. It's just annoying when people assume vegetarians eat fish. I get asked that all the time. I didn't eat fish before I was vegetarian because it was gross.

It's also annoying when posters continue to claim that excess protein gets excreted from the body and that the OP is trying to maintain their current weight even after it's been explained that these claims are untrue (she said she wants to maintain her muscle but her profile shows she has a goal of weight loss).
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

It's also annoying when posters continue to claim that excess protein gets excreted from the body and that the OP is trying to maintain their current weight even after it's been explained that these claims are untrue (she said she wants to maintain her muscle but her profile shows she has a goal of weight loss).

Someone flagged you for that.....lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.

that is the RDA minimum and its' not enough for active people.

I do the 0.8 grams per pound of weight and my other macros are not overlooked at all...

100 grams is not a bad number for an active woman to try to achieve.

I am just a bit taller and a bit heavier and I get in 130-140 a day easy and get in lots of fats and carbs too...it's all in what you choose to eat.

The RDA for protein is not a minimum. It's supposed to be adequate for 97% (or maybe it's 98%) of people. So unless by "active" you mean the top 3% of people in protein needs, your explanation is inaccurate.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.

that is the RDA minimum and its' not enough for active people.

I do the 0.8 grams per pound of weight and my other macros are not overlooked at all...

100 grams is not a bad number for an active woman to try to achieve.

I am just a bit taller and a bit heavier and I get in 130-140 a day easy and get in lots of fats and carbs too...it's all in what you choose to eat.

The RDA for protein is not a minimum. It's supposed to be adequate for 97% (or maybe it's 98%) of people. So unless by "active" you mean the top 3% of people in protein needs, your explanation is inaccurate.

Adequate is not optimal. It's worth reading the studies posted in this thread