How much protein do I really need?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people who argue that people should be twice, three times, even four times the RDA for protein are the same ones who say go ahead and have ice cream after you've hit your minimum RDAs on vitamins and minerals because you don't get extra credit for exceeding the RDA for micros.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.

that is the RDA minimum and its' not enough for active people.

I do the 0.8 grams per pound of weight and my other macros are not overlooked at all...

100 grams is not a bad number for an active woman to try to achieve.

I am just a bit taller and a bit heavier and I get in 130-140 a day easy and get in lots of fats and carbs too...it's all in what you choose to eat.

The RDA for protein is not a minimum. It's supposed to be adequate for 97% (or maybe it's 98%) of people. So unless by "active" you mean the top 3% of people in protein needs, your explanation is inaccurate.

There are plenty of more recent papers on why a lot more than 3% of the population could use more than the RDA of protein, such as anyone eating at a deficit, anyone over 65, and anyone engaging in strenuous physical activity.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I wonder if the people who argue that people should be twice, three times, even four times the RDA for protein are the same ones who say go ahead and have ice cream after you've hit your minimum RDAs on vitamins and minerals because you don't get extra credit for exceeding the RDA for micros.

There are maximum useful dosages for both. The scientific studies on protein are demonstrating the useful dosage is far in excess of RDA, and there is a range that is exercise and individual dependent. In contrast, what I've seen on vitamin and minerals is that extra (or at least the mega doses that vitamin supplements often contain) aren't helpful. That said, if someone is tracking their basic micros (like myself) then they're likely getting well in excess of RDA. Again, with regard to protein, read the studies I posted above.

Oh, and ice cream isn't exactly a bad treat to have when it comes to nutritional content.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Applying the formula from my Nutritionist, you should be eating 85.23 grams of protein minimum daily.
  • lithezebra
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can make all kinds of vegetarian things with protein powders, without adding a lot of carbs or fat. I like protein powder bread. One serving is easily comparable to meat in terms of protein, and I add vegetables to it as a way of eating more of those. It's a little bit like quiche, mostly like quick bread.
  • lithezebra
    Options

No. I use up my carb allowance on fruits and vegetables. If I have anything left at the end of the day, I have cheese.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Hit your macros....eat ice cream. Yum.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.

that is the RDA minimum and its' not enough for active people.

I do the 0.8 grams per pound of weight and my other macros are not overlooked at all...

100 grams is not a bad number for an active woman to try to achieve.

I am just a bit taller and a bit heavier and I get in 130-140 a day easy and get in lots of fats and carbs too...it's all in what you choose to eat.

The RDA for protein is not a minimum. It's supposed to be adequate for 97% (or maybe it's 98%) of people. So unless by "active" you mean the top 3% of people in protein needs, your explanation is inaccurate.

I will have to assume you just skipped past the multiple links to new studies indicating that RDA is not enough for most.
  • RossMcallister94
    RossMcallister94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry to much about protein, a long as you aim to go over the RDA it is practically impossible to develop a protein deficiency - Aim for quality, not quantity.

Being Vegetarian, Here are some great sources for you!
    Tofu
    Beans (Chickpeas, Kidney, Red etc..)
    Quinoa
    Nuts & Nut Butters
    Soy Milk (also source of B vits, Calcium & Vit D)
    Vegetables like broccoli have more protein per calorie than meat.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

not sure RDA micros are discussed that much here....and I don't see anyone saying eat 4x the RDA. I see 0.8-1gram per lb which is about 2x usually for protein macro...0.35 for fats and carbs fall as they may.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Yes...that is the RDA minimum for a sedentary person. .8 grams per Lb ends up being very close to 1 gram per Lb of LBM for most people which is optimal for someone who is active and particularly someone who is lifting. .8g per kg is insanely low for an active/very active person and would be ridiculous for someone who is lifting.

Where does it say "minimum" or "sedentary" in the link I posted?

It can be highly beneficial to expand your research....

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096

Just a little excerpt...
    The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is a modest 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The RDA is the amount of a nutrient you need to meet your basic nutritional requirements. In a sense, it’s the minimum amount you need to keep from getting sick — not the specific amount you are supposed to eat every day.

To determine your RDA for protein, you can multiply your weight in pounds by 0.36, or use this online protein calculator. For a 50-year-old woman who weighs 140 pounds woman and who is sedentary (doesn’t exercise), that translates into 53 grams of protein a day.
    For a relatively active adult, eating enough protein to meet the RDA would supply as little as 10% of his or her total daily calories. In comparison, the average American consumes around 16% of his or her daily calories in the form of protein, from both plant and animal sources.

The Protein Summit reports in AJCN argue that 16% is anything but excessive. In fact, the reports suggest that Americans may eat too little protein, not too much. The potential benefits of higher protein intake, these researchers argue, include preserving muscle strength despite aging and maintaining a lean, fat-burning physique. Some studies described in the summit reports suggest that protein is more effective if you space it out over the day’s meals and snacks, rather than loading up at dinner like many Americans do.

Based on the totality of the research presented at the summit, Rodriguez estimates that taking in up to twice the RDA of protein “is a safe and good range to aim for.” This equates roughly to 15% to 25% of total daily calories, although it could be above or below this range depending on your age, sex, and activity level. That range fits nicely into the recommendation from the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans that we get 10% to 35% of daily calories from protein.

So, it doesn't say "minimum" or "sedentary" but does say "RDAs and AIs may both be used as goals for individual intake."

The OP asked "How much protein do I really need?" and I think that the answer is "0.8 g per kg" according to the research. Some more is better and twice the AI would be fine but not needed.

If she just doesn't want to get sick, sure...I guess it depends on whether the OP wants to have an optimal range or just the bare minimum...I'm almost never about doing the bare minimum in anything...that's for people who don't give a *kitten*.

And when people recommend the .8 grams per Lb of body weight it is generally because they are looking at this kind of research....not minimum standards for not becoming ill.

Where are you getting that it's the bare minimum? It's not the bare minimum according to the WHO or world governments. It's enough protein to maintain the status quo. The blog you sited and several other websites have spread around that the AI was the minimum but it isn't according to the peer-reviewed research such as was sited earlier from the WHO.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=22382

"The RDA, the estimated amount of a nutrient (or calories) per day considered necessary for the maintenance of good health by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council/ National Academy of Sciences."

It's the amount you should under no circumstances go under.
    It's a minimum.
  • stevencloser
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Yes...that is the RDA minimum for a sedentary person. .8 grams per Lb ends up being very close to 1 gram per Lb of LBM for most people which is optimal for someone who is active and particularly someone who is lifting. .8g per kg is insanely low for an active/very active person and would be ridiculous for someone who is lifting.

Where does it say "minimum" or "sedentary" in the RDA?

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

Also look at the AMDR column right next to it, grab a calculator and see how many grams the lower end of the AMDR comes up as.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I wouldn't worry to much about protein, a long as you aim to go over the RDA it is practically impossible to develop a protein deficiency - Aim for quality, not quantity.

Being Vegetarian, Here are some great sources for you!
    Tofu
    Beans (Chickpeas, Kidney, Red etc..)
    Quinoa
    Nuts & Nut Butters
    Soy Milk (also source of B vits, Calcium & Vit D)
    Vegetables like broccoli have more protein per calorie than meat.

Do you just want to be "not deficient" or do you want "optimal amounts for my goals"? Because those two things are very different.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Also look at the AMDR column right next to it, grab a calculator and see how many grams the lower end of the AMDR comes up as.

AMDR for protein is 10-35% which would be an absolute minimum of 30g if someone were eating 1200 calories per day. I think that everyone in this thread would agree that more protein than that should be eaten.

Looking at it that way, the absolute minimum would be 30 grams of protein, which is about 2/3rds of the AI of 46 grams for women.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

AMDR for protein is 10-35% which would be an absolute minimum of 30g if someone were eating 1200 calories per day. I think that everyone in this thread would agree that more protein than that should be eaten.

Looking at it that way, the absolute minimum would be 30 grams of protein, which is about 2/3rds of the AI of 46 grams for women.

and how many women and men should be eating 1200 calories..very few.

So extrapolate that to what 46grams would be in calories...which would be appx 1800..I maintain on 2200-2400 as do a lot of active women who are moderately active...so that 46 grams is not enough...I've seen the effects of women specifically getting in 30-40 grams of protein consistently and their nails are weak, their hair breaks easily among other things...so tell me again how 46 is a good amount...
  • stevencloser
    edited July 2016
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Those percentages are for maintenance calories.
  • seska422
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Those percentages are for maintenance calories.

Those percentages are stated to be for 97-98% of everybody.
  • seska422
    edited July 2016
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

So extrapolate that to what 46grams would be in calories...which would be appx 1800..I maintain on 2200-2400 as do a lot of active women who are moderately active...so that 46 grams is not enough...I've seen the effects of women specifically getting in 30-40 grams of protein consistently and their nails are weak, their hair breaks easily among other things...so tell me again how 46 is a good amount...

That 46 grams isn't calorie based so it wouldn't extrapolate that way.

I didn't say that 46 grams was a good amount. I said that it was adequate according to the sources I cited and that some more was better.

Many people don't track their intake and likely aren't even eating that 46 grams. For them, a goal of 46 grams would be an increase in protein. Asking them to eat double or triple that 46 grams is a hard sell when multiple sources say that adult women who aren't pregnant or lactating can use 46 grams as a goal.

Optimal protein is a whole different ball of wax. 1 gram per pound of LBM or 0.8 grams per pound of ideal weight are numbers that I've seen often and I can agree that's a good goal to aim toward. However, it's not going to leave a person malnourished if they don't reach that optimal goal so there's no need to stress yourself trying to reach it if your way of eating doesn't include that much protein.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

100 grams a day seems excessive to you....

it seems like it for a person her size who is only looking to maintain for someone who is just moderately active.

why does it seem excessive...it's not a lot of protein....when you really stop to think about it 100 grams is not a lot.

1/2cup of cottage cheese has 10grams, spirulina has 57grams for 1cup (mixed in a smoothie), eggs have 6 grams each, greek yogurt 8 grams per 100g...

That above gets you to 81 and that's not a lot of food...mainly sides.
    A cup of spirulina? Who in the world eats that?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

I didn't say that 46 grams was a good amount. I said that it was adequate according to the sources I cited and that some more was better.

Many people don't track their intake and likely aren't even eating that 46 grams. For them, a goal of 46 grams would be an increase in protein. Asking them to eat double or triple that 46 grams is a hard sell when multiple sources say that adult women who aren't pregnant or lactating can use 46 grams as a goal.

Optimal protein is a whole different ball of wax. 1 gram per pound of LBM or 0.8 grams per pound of ideal weight are numbers that I've seen often and I can agree that's a good goal to aim toward. However, it's not going to leave a person malnourished if they don't reach that optimal goal so there's no need to stress yourself trying to reach it if your way of eating doesn't include that much protein.

page 1 you said it was a good amount.

AS for me I only supplement with powder in the summer months when I am drinking a smoothie and not eating a "hot breakfast" otherwise 9 months of the year it's all natural sources.

AS well the title of this thread is one thing but the content is more relevant to what most of us are saying.

We are debating two different things...

What the poster "needs" vs "should have for activity level"

difference between just reading the title and reading the post.