What does a "lifestyle change" mean to you?

Options

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Creating permanent new habits with regards to eating and exercising.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    "Lifestyle change" is one of my pet peeve phrases when used in reference to weight loss. Eating differently is just a change of habit.

I think lifestyle is much more comprehensive than that. Having a baby would do it. Getting married (or divorced) or moving away or winning the lottery or losing your job might do it, too. Big life alterations that happen to you.

Right ...

I made a "lifestyle change" when I quit my job, gave up my apartment, tossed and sold half my stuff, packed up the rest, moved 2 provinces over, put it all into storage, then cycled around Australia for the next 3 months, then returned to where my stuff was stored and started university ... and 4 years later got my second Bachelor's degree.

That was a collection of lifestyle changes which influenced and shaped what would happen next.

And what happened next was that I married a man who I had gotten to know in Australia (we'd met in France earlier), and I got rid of half my remaining stuff, and moved to Australia to live in a very rustic shack out in the middle of nowhere after the bushfires had destroyed quite a large part of Victoria.

That was a bit of a lifestyle change.

But dieting for a few months to bring my weight back to normal again ... that's just eating a bit less.

• SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It means the changes I'm making are forever. Not a diet. Not temporary changes... FOREVER!
  • GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It means the changes I'm making are forever. Not a diet. Not temporary changes... FOREVER!

awesome! do you feel you've been making those changes?
  • GirlonBliss
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    It means, to me, a change I've made which I've consistently sustained for a minimum of 5 years. If it's been less than five years, I wouldn't bother labeling it.

That's interesting! Why 5 years? If I think about it I don't think I've been in the same place (location wise) ever 5 years so I'll have to think on that more.
  • GirlonBliss
    Options
    Creating permanent new habits with regards to eating and exercising.

cool, what habits are you happy to have permanently?
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    A BS platitude

:smiley: It's not my favourite expression (I used to think, "Oh really? You're planning on eating at a deficit for the rest of your life? Good luck with that"), but once I started slowing the weight loss process way down (losing 1 or 2 lbs a month), it got a lot less silly.

So after nearly 10 years of keeping 100 pounds off I guess I can say I made a lifestyle change :) I said that all along because I hate the word diet. I never dieted, I changed how I lived and how I looked at food. Once that weight loss slows down things get much more real. I always say losing weight was the easy part, keeping the weight off is where the real work begins :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it means making changes to lose weight that I'll be able to keep making in the long run. Ideally, the only difference between losing and maintaining should be eating a little bit more food... Diet and exercise should overall stay the same.

In more concrete terms, for me it meant not killing myself at the gym for 2 hours every day (as I'd never be able to sustain that), not cutting any food out, but realizing that I'll never be able to just pig out on food whenever I feel like it... so I made the decision to learn to eat reasonable portions.

The thing I did differently between losing and maintaining is that I did more lifting when I was losing, but I realized that it wouldn't be sustainable for me because I hate it - I do more cardio now because I enjoy it more. I've been maintaining for 2 years (gained a couple pounds back but measurements haven't changed).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In April of 2011, I decided it was time to start watching my portion sizes, eating more whole foods, and becoming more active throughout my day. I made those changes, and lost about 60 pounds over 13 months.

The new habits stuck, and 5+ years after initiating the changes, I'm still at my goal weight. I'm still eating more whole foods than I used to. And, I'm still more active throughout my day.

I changed my entire relationship with food and activity. Isn't that a lifestyle change?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A BS platitude

:smiley: It's not my favourite expression (I used to think, "Oh really? You're planning on eating at a deficit for the rest of your life? Good luck with that"), but once I started slowing the weight loss process way down (losing 1 or 2 lbs a month), it got a lot less silly.

Talk to me in 5 years. If you're still on track then yes you changed your lifestyle. My point is that it's work. I'm sticking with BS platitude the vast majority of the time.

Hello :wink:
    Well, technically 4 and a half. Do you need me to get back to you in a few months?
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    To me it means changing my habits in regards to food. It can be as simple as eating only 3 slices of pizza instead of 5 slices (not overeating) or avoiding all red meat, but changes need to be made. I find it very difficult to break 40 years of habits.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    "Lifestyle change" is one of my pet peeve phrases when used in reference to weight loss. Eating differently is just a change of habit.

I think lifestyle is much more comprehensive than that. Having a baby would do it. Getting married (or divorced) or moving away or winning the lottery or losing your job might do it, too. Big life alterations that happen to you.

Well, it has to be a lifestyle change though... I mean for people who want to keep the weight down.

3.5 years ago I was playing video games all day, didn't cook, didn't exercise, ate junk food pretty much all day.

Now I quit video games, I go crazy if I don't stay active, I cook, I eat less than 200-300 calories worth of junk food a day... If I splurge one day, I typically make up for it the next couple days.. If that's not a lifestyle change, I'm not sure what it is.

It was gradual though! Didn't happen overnight for sure.
  • GirlonBliss
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »

I changed my entire relationship with food and activity. Isn't that a lifestyle change?

Heck yeah! :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have never said that. I don't mind correctly using the term diet (reducing caloric intake for the purpose of weight loss). My goal was to lose slowly making as few changes to my lifestyle as possible, because I really love my life.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    A BS platitude

Talk to me in 5 years. If you're still on track then yes you changed your lifestyle. My point is that it's work. I'm sticking with BS platitude the vast majority of the time.

Well, technically 4 and a half. Do you need me to get back to you in a few months?

Congrats, you've gotten past platitude along a handful of others on here. Of course, you said yourself that you don't like or use the term.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well, it has to be a lifestyle change though... I mean for people who want to keep the weight down.

What about those of us who spent most of our lives eating reasonably well and exercising lots and remaining slender ... and just drifted from that for various reasons for a few years ... and are now back to that again?

See I'm looking at it as "getting back to normal" again ... not a lifestyle change. This ... what I'm doing now in the way of diet and exercise ... is back to the way things used to be. Back to normal. :)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A BS platitude

Congrats, you've gotten past platitude along a handful of others on here. Of course, you said yourself that you don't like or use the term.

I don't see what the problem is with the term when looking backwards to be honest.

Sure the whole I'm going to do this half-arsed cos it's a lifestyle change not a diet doesn't really help.

But when looking back at your life over the last few years and realising that who you are now is different from who you were then, then surely that is exactly what it says on the tin - it's a lifestyle change