July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - Thanks, that was very insightful and helpful.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @5512bf 84 laps?! That's determination.

@ceciliaslater Congrats! Hope you enjoyed the workout :)

Glad I'm getting my runs done early in the morning before I have time to realize I CAN'T BREATHE. Argh. Driving me nuts.

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have a question. I had a marathon on June 18th and am just now getting my mileage back up. I've always used a training plan to determine how many miles I run each day. I started with c25k a year ago and worked my way up to Hal Higdon HM and marathon plans.

Currently, my goal is to be HM ready at all times so I'm wondering if I should be following a plan or just aiming to get X amount of miles in per week? I've never not followed a plan before so I'm kind of going rogue. I'm thinking 3 days per week at 5-8 miles and then a weekend long run anywhere between 9-15. Any thoughts?
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited July 2016
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning you made my head spin too. I guess another thing I was thinking about when I read what you wrote is this, for me, generally, faster runs are harder on my joints, so the V02 Max runs could be stressing more than just your cardio system more.
    Yeah, he discusses that. Basically if you are not accustomed to regular runs at/near LT then you need to build up to that first before easing in to testing your VO2Max. To do so you are basically running all out, and should only do it for 2-4 minutes per interval max from his recommendation.

So the way I'm almost looking at it is, I know my estimated VO2Max. It is below average for sure, even after running for two years. I'm obviously not running in such a way as to increase it, and if I keep running the way I am then aging will lower it even further. Unless I change things, per this guy anyway. He is a very well respected name though, so there is that.

Some authors will take the VO2max longer than that. I'm using Pete Pfitzinger 18/70 Advanced Marathoning plan and I've got a 8 mile run with 3x1600 @ 5k pace so I'll be going 6:45-7:00 on these intervals on that workout. I can do 1000's in under 4:00 but 1200's & 1600 intervals for most will go past that 4:00 range.
    I missed this one earlier in between replies I think. I'm glad I went back and saw it!

I ordered Joe Friel's "Fast After 50" to get the in depth thoughts and processes behind what Joe Friel is really trying to get across and how I might be able to use it. I'll be happy to share any insights I glean.

One thing I did see in one of his blog posts was about the duration spent at VO2Max. In my case for example, using the Jack Daniels spreadsheet, plugging in my info, and making HR Max adjustments based on real life observations of HR/Pace data, I get the following in the "Joe Friel Training Zone Approximations" section of that spreadsheet (with my HRMax 184 and Resting HR 48 for reference):
    Zone 5a: 166-169
    Zone 5b: 171-176

One of Joe Friel's blog posts went over a longer study that observed one group doing shorter intervals at Zone 5a-b versus another group doing longer intervals at the same effort. While in the shorter term the VO2Max gains were similar, over the longer term the gains for the group doing longer intervals (4x3-5 minutes if I recall correctly) was 2% while the VO2Max gains for the shorter intervals group (3 sets of 13x30 seconds) was 8%. This was done 2-3 times/week if I recall right, so it was a TOUGH program and not how one would do this during training normally.

Still though, I found it interesting. In the end from what Joe is saying the key thing is total time spent in VO2Max range over the whole workout, and that the 3 sets of 13x30 seconds per session is what made the difference (24.5 minutes/session versus 12-20 minutes).

Either way, what I am finding most interesting (for me, and my current health/age) is that since I have done LT runs somewhat regularly this year and recently, I should be able to begin working op towards some VO2Max interval sessions and quite possibly see greater benefits long term than I was getting from trying to increase my mileage as my #1 objective, and working in tougher workouts as I could. It seems that if I continue to focus more heavily on mileage then I can pretty much count on getting slower with age and therefore making it harder to keep up or increase mileage.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @5512bf - 84 labs! Wow! What discipline. I don't know if I could do it. Although if it was really cold inside and I could be behind or with someone, maybe I could.

@WhatMeRunning - my head was spinning from your question just like @MNLittleFinn said. Even though you dumbed it down in a later post, I am not up for reading about V02 stuff yet. But I think you've been running the same time as me (~ 2 years) so maybe I'll figure it all out soon. For now, I'm just dealing with the heat!

@Stoshew71 - your comment that training in this heat and how it improves us, is helping us is motivating me to keep it going through the brutal heat. Thank you! Not just for that but for all the advice you give everyone.

@ceciliaslater & @ROBOTFOOD -- congrats on getting the clear to run!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Still though, I found it interesting. In the end from what Joe is saying the key thing is total time spent in VO2Max range over the whole workout, and that the 3 sets of 13x30 seconds per session is what made the difference (24.5 minutes/session versus 12-20 minutes).

That's interesting. Did he talk about the recovery between intervals for each group? Was it time based or heart rate? The only thing I would question is how much of a 30 second interval is actually spent @ VO2Max? It takes some time to get there, especially on the first few intervals, so a lesser percentage of each interval will actually be at VO2Max for shorter intervals. I guess one could argue that the effort is more intense so a larger part of the recovery is still in VO2Max? Just wondering if this was discussed.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning
    I'm not sure that I could achieve my vo2max HR range in :30 intervals. My zone 5 is a little higher than yours starting at 171-200(max). I try to get to about 185-190 in my sessions. I do stride work each week where I'll do 10-12 x :25 sec peaking at my mile pace of 6:15ish. I don't consider that VO2max work however and include it in my easy sessions towards the end with 2:00 recovery between them. I hit 170 on the last interval of a 9 mile run last week doing that type of session.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

That's interesting. Did he talk about the recovery between intervals for each group? Was it time based or heart rate? The only thing I would question is how much of a 30 second interval is actually spent @ VO2Max? It takes some time to get there, especially on the first few intervals, so a lesser percentage of each interval will actually be at VO2Max for shorter intervals. I guess one could argue that the effort is more intense so a larger part of the recovery is still in VO2Max? Just wondering if this was discussed.
    It was only touched upon, but it was not left out entirely. He mentioned a longer warmup than I am accustomed to, with the first 10 minutes just getting flexible, then increasing intensity a bit over the next 10 to even 20 minutes before starting the intervals. That's as much as I recall though. So the warmup is a bit more intense, but that's all the more I know.
    5512bf wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning
    I'm not sure that I could achieve my vo2max HR range in :30 intervals. My zone 5 is a little higher than yours starting at 171-200(max). I try to get to about 185-190 in my sessions. I do stride work each week where I'll do 10-12 x :25 sec peaking at my mile pace of 6:15ish. I don't consider that VO2max work however and include it in my easy sessions towards the end with 2:00 recovery between them. I hit 170 on the last interval of a 9 mile run last week doing that type of session.
    I thought it sounded quite similar to "strides" myself, but different in that they are the focus of the run instead of how I am accustomed to using strides at the later portions of a long run. But I suppose that long run does provide quite a "warmup". :smile:

I'll share what I get from the book. Looks like it came out just last year so it's still a bit new, but I like that since the research it is based on is pretty current. The foreword that I read mentioned it is littered with reference annotations and suggested you be familiar with PubMed if you want to research them, but that it's not his intention to make people think they are reading a research paper so he is supposed to be dumbing it down so I can understand it (I hope).
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @michable - Way to go on that marathon! That last 10k is really quite a chore, no doubt. I can't believe they had an out and back for that last 10k, that seems just cruel! That should be part of the description of the race, about the challenge of being near the finish only to do an out and back for that final 10k to prove you really want it! Awesome job!

So a question for everyone. I have begun adding in regular LT effort runs because they not only "feel good" (strange as that sounds) but they are known to be super helpful. Based on my health and age perhaps this caps my mileage, which was anticipated, and starting to run again in the summer heat also is a limiting distance factor. No big deal, I know mileage will increase. But then I start reading a bit more about Joe Friel running, specifically in regards to aging. I turn 45 this year, and I know that while I have the youth to build strength and endurance I am also doing this against the current of aging which is pushing against my ability to gain strength and endurance. Again, no big deal, just do it, right? Well, I read some blog posts of Joe Friel's specifically about aging and the importance of runs stressing your VO2Max as opposed to simple aerobic endurance and LT running. It perks my interest a bit because, yes, I had planned on having my next run be intervals stressing my VO2Max (actually how I stumbled upon the blog post).

Anyhow, the question I wanted to ask was, has anyone here done this? Going from the standard high mileage endurance training plans that typically use LT as the cap of effort in training to working VO2Max, and what was that experience like? Also, for you aging athletes out there, what do you think of Joe Friels philosophy (if you are aware of it) that aging athletes are better served by maintaining their VO2Max as they age by making sure to regularly exercise at that effort as opposed to slowing down and running slower and easier as they age?

All this is sort of making my head spin as I really can't help but think that I might need to flip my training about 180 degrees seemingly.

I am not familuar with Joe Friel nor his philosophy for aging athletes on stressing VO2Max as opposed to simple aerobic/LT. I can tell you that (I turn 45 in December) I am concentrating on higher mileage and more on simple aerobic and some LT. I also do a lot of hill and elevation running. Speed work for me is capped to fartleks and strides. I have been steadily improving for these past 2-1/2 years.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for the Galloway video! That's very encouraging!

That was Jack Daniels, not Galloway. :wink:

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Legs were grumpy today. Only able to do 2.25 miles, which disappoints me because I was hoping for another 4. Oh well, that's what I get for kickboxing last night.

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I really need to get going with my diet again. So far I ate at maintenance and didn't drop a pound in the last month. Running makes it really easy to maintain. Can't imagine eating at maintenance if I don't run now. I like to eat too much

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    July 1 - 7.7 km - 148/6:09
    July 2 - 5.8 km - 147/6:56
    July 3 - 11.6km - 151/6:22
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 7.0 km - 149/6:34
    July 6 - 6.5 km - 147/6:32

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half)
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @lps1dragonfly Yay - another newbie! Welcome! I joined this group at the beginning of June and have found it to be hugely motivating & lots of fun. And I'm learning so much. Thanks for sharing the video @stoshew71.

@ceciliaslater welcome back! Hope you had a good workout.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Going along to a running group tomorrow to see if I like it :smiley:

My hopes are that it will help motivate me to go further and faster overall. My concern is that I don't currently go as far as they normally do and I am at very bottom end of there pace range. Might as well give it a look.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @michable - Way to go on that marathon! That last 10k is really quite a chore, no doubt. I can't believe they had an out and back for that last 10k, that seems just cruel! That should be part of the description of the race, about the challenge of being near the finish only to do an out and back for that final 10k to prove you really want it! Awesome job!

So a question for everyone. I have begun adding in regular LT effort runs because they not only "feel good" (strange as that sounds) but they are known to be super helpful. Based on my health and age perhaps this caps my mileage, which was anticipated, and starting to run again in the summer heat also is a limiting distance factor. No big deal, I know mileage will increase. But then I start reading a bit more about Joe Friel running, specifically in regards to aging. I turn 45 this year, and I know that while I have the youth to build strength and endurance I am also doing this against the current of aging which is pushing against my ability to gain strength and endurance. Again, no big deal, just do it, right? Well, I read some blog posts of Joe Friel's specifically about aging and the importance of runs stressing your VO2Max as opposed to simple aerobic endurance and LT running. It perks my interest a bit because, yes, I had planned on having my next run be intervals stressing my VO2Max (actually how I stumbled upon the blog post).

Anyhow, the question I wanted to ask was, has anyone here done this? Going from the standard high mileage endurance training plans that typically use LT as the cap of effort in training to working VO2Max, and what was that experience like? Also, for you aging athletes out there, what do you think of Joe Friels philosophy (if you are aware of it) that aging athletes are better served by maintaining their VO2Max as they age by making sure to regularly exercise at that effort as opposed to slowing down and running slower and easier as they age?

All this is sort of making my head spin as I really can't help but think that I might need to flip my training about 180 degrees seemingly.

I am not familuar with Joe Friel nor his philosophy for aging athletes on stressing VO2Max as opposed to simple aerobic/LT. I can tell you that (I turn 45 in December) I am concentrating on higher mileage and more on simple aerobic and some LT. I also do a lot of hill and elevation running. Speed work for me is capped to fartleks and strides. I have been steadily improving for these past 2-1/2 years.

Well dang Stan! You and I are the same age (I turn 45 in December too).

I am faster now than 2 years ago when I started, for sure. I'm also healthier in probably every way. One thing that has kept me running is simply trying to go into older age as strong as I reasonably can.

What I have read of the book so far is encouraging for any runner in regards to aging whether they train easy/LSD only or 80/20 or any other variation. It seems to be targeted in one aspect towards those who wish to maintain peak fitness and athletic ability into older age. On the other hand though it provides some interesting data for any age or athletic ability. It is eye opening for me and I am looking forward to later chapters that will discuss higher intensity inclusion into training while focused on preventing injury, the #1 focus for older athletes. I think one clue may have been alluded to already about one older athlete's account of having 6-8 week training cycles as opposed to the 4 week training cycles of youth in order to account for the added recovery with age. Just a guess though, I'm not that far along yet. But like @kristinegift probably is (or was) with IT, I am unable to put this book down at the moment.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

We'll, shows how much I know.. :tongue:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

And I appreciated it. it's nice to see the sciencey stuff behind recovery. It's also VERY nice to know that I really can take this whole week off, take next week (hopefully) for getting back into it, and then start my training cycle on the 18th....

.......Which is really what it boils down to for me, I want to make sure I have the training in to run my next HM as well or (hopefully) even better than my first one...Hoping to run it closer to 10:05 miles, which I have done in training....

....Stretching my calves and Quads a LOT today, Quads are already feeling a little better. The 2-3 mile walks 2x a day the last 2 days have helped me loosen up for sure