How much protein do I really need?

Options

Replies

• Rihn0
    Rihn0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recomand you to eat 2-2.5g protein/body weight/day. Why 2-2.5g? Because you will maintain your muscular mass intact if you want to fat loss.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.

Yes...that is the RDA minimum for a sedentary person. .8 grams per Lb ends up being very close to 1 gram per Lb of LBM for most people which is optimal for someone who is active and particularly someone who is lifting. .8g per kg is insanely low for an active/very active person and would be ridiculous for someone who is lifting.

Where does it say "minimum" or "sedentary" in the RDA?

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

Also look at the AMDR column right next to it, grab a calculator and see how many grams the lower end of the AMDR comes up as.

AMDR for protein is 10-35% which would be an absolute minimum of 30g if someone were eating 1200 calories per day. I think that everyone in this thread would agree that more protein than that should be eaten.

Looking at it that way, the absolute minimum would be 30 grams of protein, which is about 2/3rds of the AI of 46 grams for women.

Those percentages are for maintenance calories.

Those percentages are stated to be for 97-98% of everybody.

That is true, but the average from which this interval is calculated is based on adequate calorie intake (at least in the case of the WHO recommendation, which is very close to the US RDA.) All calories are protein sparing to some degree, so as your total calorie intake goes up, your protein needs decrease (ceteris paribus and only to a point, obviously), and as calories fall, protein requirements increase.

Unfortunately, I have never seen any kind of predictive formula to determine how much protein needs change with caloric intake, so I couldn't say how significant a slight caloric deficit would be in terms of requirements, and how many people would consequently need more than the recommendation (3 standard deviations is a pretty big cushion)

Maybe someone else knows of an equation for adjusting protein requirements in a deficit, and can post a link the research upon which it is based?

And for OP, if you are even still reading, the WHO formula I shared applies to sufficiency (not necessarily optimal intake) during weight maintenance. I thought "just maintain" in your question referred to your weight, not your lean mass. Apparently I was half asleep when I read it, so you can go ahead and disregard my earlier post; it wouldn't apply to you during weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the advice! I will definitely be upping my protein intake as I was only getting about 40 grams prior to this discussion. I'll aim for 80 but that'll be a big jump. I'm not fond of eggs or yogurt, so this could be a big diet change haha

What about fish? I know you said you didn't like meat much, but you could try fish. Completely different flavor.

What kind of plant do fish come from?

What kind of plant do do eggs and dairy come from? Vegetarians eat those...and I know many a vegetarian who became pescatarian...

I haven't read anything to indicate that the OP is vegan...that might be your religion, but I haven't read anything here to indicate that it's hers.

She said she was vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat fish, that's pescartian.

No *kitten* shirlock...I think I addressed that.

Not really, you just said you knew vegetarians that became pescartian. It's just annoying when people assume vegetarians eat fish. I get asked that all the time. I didn't eat fish before I was vegetarian because it was gross.

So if I said some vegetarians become pescatarian how is that assuming vegetarians eat fish...you make zero sense.
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    What are your goals? There is a huge difference between how much you need vs how much is optimal for your goals. It also depends if you are cutting, maintaining or bulking.

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Being active, she will required more than the average person. And .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, may not be a bad target.

I'm pretty sure it's per kg, not pound. If she targets eating too much protein she's likely going to overlook other nutrients like a lot of people do on this site. You just pee out the extra. She's tiny at 130. I don't think she needs 100-130g just to maintain.

that is the RDA minimum and its' not enough for active people.

I do the 0.8 grams per pound of weight and my other macros are not overlooked at all...

100 grams is not a bad number for an active woman to try to achieve.

I am just a bit taller and a bit heavier and I get in 130-140 a day easy and get in lots of fats and carbs too...it's all in what you choose to eat.

The RDA for protein is not a minimum. It's supposed to be adequate for 97% (or maybe it's 98%) of people. So unless by "active" you mean the top 3% of people in protein needs, your explanation is inaccurate.

Adequate...sufficient...by definition these words mean the minimum you would need and they are talking about general health...i.e. so you don't get sick...how hard is this? The RDA is sub optimal if one is training...again... really...is it this hard to understand?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Yes...that is the RDA minimum for a sedentary person. .8 grams per Lb ends up being very close to 1 gram per Lb of LBM for most people which is optimal for someone who is active and particularly someone who is lifting. .8g per kg is insanely low for an active/very active person and would be ridiculous for someone who is lifting.

Also look at the AMDR column right next to it, grab a calculator and see how many grams the lower end of the AMDR comes up as.

AMDR for protein is 10-35% which would be an absolute minimum of 30g if someone were eating 1200 calories per day. I think that everyone in this thread would agree that more protein than that should be eaten.

Looking at it that way, the absolute minimum would be 30 grams of protein, which is about 2/3rds of the AI of 46 grams for women.

and how many women and men should be eating 1200 calories..very few.

So extrapolate that to what 46grams would be in calories...which would be appx 1800..I maintain on 2200-2400 as do a lot of active women who are moderately active...so that 46 grams is not enough...I've seen the effects of women specifically getting in 30-40 grams of protein consistently and their nails are weak, their hair breaks easily among other things...so tell me again how 46 is a good amount...

I didn't say that 46 grams was a good amount. I said that it was adequate according to the sources I cited and that some more was better.

Many people don't track their intake and likely aren't even eating that 46 grams. For them, a goal of 46 grams would be an increase in protein. Asking them to eat double or triple that 46 grams is a hard sell when multiple sources say that adult women who aren't pregnant or lactating can use 46 grams as a goal.

Optimal protein is a whole different ball of wax. 1 gram per pound of LBM or 0.8 grams per pound of ideal weight are numbers that I've seen often and I can agree that's a good goal to aim toward. However, it's not going to leave a person malnourished if they don't reach that optimal goal so there's no need to stress yourself trying to reach it if your way of eating doesn't include that much protein.

page 1 you said it was a good amount.

AS for me I only supplement with powder in the summer months when I am drinking a smoothie and not eating a "hot breakfast" otherwise 9 months of the year it's all natural sources.

AS well the title of this thread is one thing but the content is more relevant to what most of us are saying.

We are debating two different things...

What the poster "needs" vs "should have for activity level"

difference between just reading the title and reading the post.

I went and looked at the first page and I said "Eating a bit more than that is good but you won't wither away by eating the RDA of protein." I stand by that.

People search for threads related to questions that they have in order to gain information about the subject. Hopefully the OP got the information she desired within the posts and perhaps others will get the answers to their questions as well.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

She said maintain.

Opps.. missed that.

Those percentages are for maintenance calories.

Those percentages are stated to be for 97-98% of everybody.

At maintenance.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I lost weight years ago, I'd estimate that I was probably doing my macros at about 85c/5p/10f. I wasn't getting nearly enough protein or fat. I grew up when low fat was the way to go if you wanted to lose weight.

I'd guess that many people don't even reach the AI for protein, let alone eat more.

I'm doing the default MFP macros of 50c/20p/30f and it's working well for me. Even if someone does the 1200 calorie minimum, that would put them at 60 grams of protein which is 130% the AI. MFP bumped their default up from 15% because of the emerging evidence that more protein was better while in a deficit.

If the AI isn't enough (and, personally, I aim for higher than that) then what is the threshold for the bare minimum of protein that should be eaten for "good enough" consumption? 130% the AI? Twice the AI? Three times the AI?

It's context dependent which is part of the problem with establishing minimum guidelines.

But there's a crapton of research on increased protein intake in multiple populations, not just athletes.

If someone is physically active and in a caloric deficit with the goal of maintaining skeletal muscle I would start with around 1g/lb goal weight as a very rough approximation to reasonable protein intake in that specific context. 2xRDA would also be pretty reasonable.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I will definitely be upping my protein intake as I was only getting about 40 grams prior to this discussion. I'll aim for 80 but that'll be a big jump. I'm not fond of eggs or yogurt, so this could be a big diet change haha

What about fish? I know you said you didn't like meat much, but you could try fish. Completely different flavor.

What kind of plant do do eggs and dairy come from? Vegetarians eat those...and I know many a vegetarian who became pescatarian...

I haven't read anything to indicate that the OP is vegan...that might be your religion, but I haven't read anything here to indicate that it's hers.

Not really, you just said you knew vegetarians that became pescartian. It's just annoying when people assume vegetarians eat fish. I get asked that all the time. I didn't eat fish before I was vegetarian because it was gross.

So if I said some vegetarians become pescatarian how is that assuming vegetarians eat fish...you make zero sense.

Because it had nothing to do with anything since the OP expressed no interest in eating fish
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2016
    Options

Because it had nothing to do with anything since the OP expressed no interest in eating fish

Just throwing out ideas...trying to be helpful...unlike you who just seems to want to agenda push...

Who knows, maybe she never thought about fish or never tried fish...like I said, I know a lot of vegetarians who have become pescatarians so I was just throwing it out as an idea...again, you make no sense and are pretty much completely unhelpful and useless to this discussion apparently.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Just throwing out ideas...trying to be helpful...unlike you who just seems to want to agenda push...

What ideas? Eating fish?

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

What ideas? Eating fish?

Is proposing that the OP consider switching from vegetarian to pescetarian as a means of increasing protein intake not an idea?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

What ideas? Eating fish?

Is proposing that the OP consider switching from vegetarian to pescetarian as a means of increasing protein intake not an idea?

Not a considerate one.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

What ideas? Eating fish?

Not a considerate one.

I guess your an expert at being considerate when you have gone out of your way to belittle people's higher protein intake levels while coming out with rubbish like 'peeing and pooping out excess protein'
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

What ideas? Eating fish?

Not a considerate one.

Ironic considering your uninformed advice and inconsiderate responses in this thread.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I am a 61 y.o. female, 5'5", SW 226, CW 205, IBW 125. I exercise, including lifting weights. My endocrinologist subspecializes in nonsurgical bariatrics. He recommends 90-120g protein daily for me, and I aim for 100g. It seems to be working. I have lost 21 lbs of body weight. He does a body analysis at each visit, and I have lost only a few ounces of lean mass; nearly the entire 21 lbs of weight loss has been fat. I believe in protein. For those who are still reading, my macros are 100g protein, 75g fat, 25g net carbs currently. Anticipating loosening up on the carb restriction as I get closer to goal.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I stopped into this thread to try and get an answer to the question in the title. I'm not a vegetarian - I eat and enjoy meat, but it's a struggle for me to get over the minimum 46 grams each day. If I shot for 1g per pound... that would be 3x that amount. How on earth would I do that, without drink protein shakes (which I do not like)?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »
    I stopped into this thread to try and get an answer to the question in the title. I'm not a vegetarian - I eat and enjoy meat, but it's a struggle for me to get over the minimum 46 grams each day. If I shot for 1g per pound... that would be 3x that amount. How on earth would I do that, without drink protein shakes (which I do not like)?

Well its more like 1g per lb of lean body mass (not weight, unless you are really lean). So you would more than likely shoot for .6-.8g per lb of weight. But, meats, nuts/legumes, quinoa, lentils, seitan, soy, fish, etc..
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

fish and seafood are great sources esp if you are in a deficit.
    cottage cheese, greek yogurt are other great places
    lean cuts of meat as well. I like chicken and turkey a lot so I go there.

In the winter I eat eggs and ham muffins for breakfast with a side of ham.

Summer I do add protein powder to my smoothie that way it tastes good...
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Well its more like 1g per lb of lean body mass (not weight, unless you are really lean). So you would more than likely shoot for .6-.8g per lb of weight. But, meats, nuts/legumes, quinoa, lentils, setian, soy, fish, etc..

That makes a little more sense and might be achievable. What is setian? (I tried looking it up and all I could find was followers of Set.)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

Egg whites, seafood, meat are highest. Legumes, especially soy. Quinoa, soba noodles. Nuts. Tomatoes. Spinach, leafy greens.